No announcement yet.

The "Whatever" Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We'll just have to wait and see. I 'll email you more later.

Comment

• Just got this. Moose on the HAMB did it based on one of the pictures I took the other day:
      Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	680.7 KB
ID:	1305501
      I'm thinking black is its color. And now I have to figure out how to make the hood and side panels look like that...

In your mind's eye, picture it with a full belly pan and straight pipes running between the belly pan and wheels on each side. AND SWMBO likes it!

Comment

• Beware of BLACK !!!
        It shows Every Little Imperfections in the paint !! Fiberglass Body Wobbles, Drill Holes that don't line up, and where; Hoods, Doors, Grills, meet.
        AND vibrations rub the paint off exposing the Fiberglass underneath........

White, and Metallic Silver Hide a multitude of sins, and Metallic Silver hides Road Dust well.....

just saying...

Comment

• But I'm a glutton for punishment . I agree, that's why the dirt cars were white. Plus a rattle can of refrigerator white fixed oops... But it might look sooo bad!

Comment

• Do I have to come up there and paint that thing?

BTW - are you guys OK given the storm?

Dan
            Last edited by DanStokes; September 2, 2021, 08:02 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Captain View Post
              Beware of BLACK !!!
              It shows Every Little Imperfections in the paint !! Fiberglass Body Wobbles, Drill Holes that don't line up, and where; Hoods, Doors, Grills, meet.
              AND vibrations rub the paint off exposing the Fiberglass underneath........

White, and Metallic Silver Hide a multitude of sins, and Metallic Silver hides Road Dust well.....

just saying...
              Camry Beige is the best cover.... but then you run the risk of people rear ending you because they looked at your car and fell asleep...
              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                Do I have to come up there and paint that thing?

BTW - are you guys OK given the storm?

Dan
                We're fine. The storm stayed way south of the capial district and we're north of that by 50 miles. We had a little light rain, enough that I'll only need to water the garden for a half hour. Saratoga sand plain, water just disappears here.

And regarding paint, maybe... I'm at least a year or so away from that stage however.

Comment

• Got back in the garage today for a little bit of progress. Marked the firewall to cut it out for clearance to the bellhousing. Then pulled the dummy block out of the frame. Raised the front spring mount one set of holes to compensate for the weight of the 327, old mangy, that I plan on putting into the frame to establish clearances. And did a little clean up to the garage.

Small steps... I'll get it finished eventually!

Comment

• Hoo boy, is that nose and body narrow! Mocked up side panels for the engine compartment today. Not a lot of room in there. I may resort to making bulged side panels like imagined before to hide the radiator being wider than the nose. Although I'm going with a custom built radiator that clears the steering box.

measured three times and drilled holes to locate the body on the frame. Eventually I'll drill for flange nuts to weld in but for now the small holes give lots of wiggle room just in case...

And I mocked up the seating position today. The bottom of the seat will end up 6 inches above the floor. That puts my shoulders just above the back of the body. I feel like I'm sitting down inside the body not on top sticking out so that's good. Once I figure out pedals I'll get a floor in the thing.

Still little steps, I'm getting there... But I'm much better now!

Comment

• Put old mangy back in the frame today. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1239.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	1.45 MB
ID:	1305754 Needs to go back a little bit more. Like right up to the firewall. Next I have to get the T5 and make a rear crossmember to support the back. That way I can get rid of the side mounts I was thinking of using.

Looking at the inside clearance to the bellhousing cutout seems to show enough room for 3 pedals and my clown feet down there.

Name:	DSCN1241.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	1305755 I still have to figure out how to make some internal support structure to support the steering column. And the pedals. And all sorts of other unknown stuff that I just know I don't know yet...

Name:	DSCN1242.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	1.45 MB
ID:	1305756 Looking from in front mostly centered, it appears that the engine will be inside of where side panels will be. It's going to require headers custom made to fit, but that is an easy one.

Comment

• Just an Idea.....
                        When I was building the Indy Racer, I thought of Junk Yard searching for a donor Firewall cutout, complete with pedal hardware.
                        I found a Samurai and cut it at the "A" pillars down, and across the floor to salvage everything, steering column, brake booster, cable clutch assembly.....
                        Saved a Ton of "Engineering" home work!!

Name:	KIMG0109.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	757.8 KB
ID:	1305766

Comment

• I just wish we could go into automotive recycling yards (as they're called up in these parts) and pull parts ourselves. The ones near me don't allow that. Liability issues for sure...

so I'll go talk to a friend with a garage business and see what he has out back.

Comment

• Took a look at pedals this afternoon. Tried a Wilwood floor mount setup actually intended for the Mini in the shed, but even if I changed to their compact master cylinders the setup is just too long. If I were only 5ft 6inch tall, I might be able to get my fat feet finally firmly on them. But I'm not! So thinking Mini parts, I pulled out one of the spare sets of pedals from the Minis.

Now these pedals were designed to be hanging pedals, but turn them upside down almost, and they start to look like old Ford pedals, if you squint your eyes real hard and turn the lights out. But the shape looks like it should work. A little bit of heat, some reimagining, and change the angle of the master cylinders operating levers to push rearward, and viola pedals. And being made for a small car, they have really small pads, great for the space issues.

Now being British, these pedals were designed by an engineering team that didn't necessary think about using easy to find items like bushings. The bore of the bushings is 9/16 inch diameter, and the od is 11/16 inch diameter. So what is next is bore the pedals for 3/4 od bushings with a 1/2 inch id.

Well that's my story and I'm sticking to it. No pictures today because none of this is picture worthy...

Comment

• Lucky me, I've had migraine headaches since I was 6 years old. Doctors keep saying that they will go away when I get out of my teens, then it was my 20s, followed by my 30s, and on and on...

So today's wasn't too bad, lasted for about 5 or 6 hours. Gave me a good excuse to take a nap this afternoon after making our lunch. Had a little dream while napping. The seat mount came to me during the dream. This has been the only redeeming characteristic of the migraines over the years, as I have gotten some of my best ideas that way.

So anyway I have the bracket designed and all the parts cut out. Welding tomorrow and the seat location will be set. I also figured out the pedals using left over Mini pedals. The 2 sort of go together, cuz my short short fat feet have to be able to operate them in a somewhat comfortable manner. Pictures tomorrow...

Comment

• Sorry that you still have the migraines but don't worry - you'll grow out of them when you hit your 70's (hey, I'm as accurate as the docs......). and cool that you have a pedal plan.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                                X