No announcement yet.

The "Whatever" Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something tells me that I'll only grow out of them when I take the dirt nap. Well in reality I plan on leaving my body to science. They ought to get a laugh out of it

and yes the bestest conversations I have are with myself, and the other side usually wins the arguments...

Comment

• Originally posted by dave.g.in.gansevoort View Post
      Something tells me that I'll only grow out of them when I take the dirt nap. Well in reality I plan on leaving my body to science. They ought to get a laugh out of it

and yes the bestest conversations I have are with myself, and the other side usually wins the arguments...
      So is that like free disposal or is there a fee? I want to be cheap even in the end.
      http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
      1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
      ​​​​​​

Comment

• It's free, and you usually get a burial when they are done with your remains. Altho when that point comes to quote "When I die, don't bury me, just hang my balls from a cherry tree! "

Comment

• Well I have to buy some new tools! That's too bad . I need different dies for my tubing bender now. I need a set for 1 inch diameter round tube. Support structure for under the cowl. I'm thinking that I may also procure a tubing roller. You know, it's a sickness. I need more tools!

Comment

• Sounds rational to me! (We're great enablers here on BS)

Dan

Comment

• Do It !!
              Many Tools have multiple uses.....
              pipe benders have been use for Underground Cable, try bending 3 phase cable into a Box Bare Handed !!!

Comment

• Oh I'm getting the bender dies. And probably other tools that haven't been thought about yet. And there's progress AND pictures tonight!

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1244.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	1306163Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1245.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	1306164Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1246.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	1306165Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1243.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	1.31 MB
ID:	1306166

So pictures first, because you know what they say, a picture is worth a thousand words. So here's 4000. Now I don't have to explain...

But what the heck, I'm full of b.s. so here goes nothing! Last picture first, it's the seat mount. Some uprights and cross tubes, afew tabs, drill some holes, weld in flange nuts and viola, seat mount is made. I planned ahead a little bit and when fully welded together and the rest of the miscellaneous bits and bobs get added, it will also have the seat belt mounts integrated into it. Well the lap belts and anti sub belts. Shouler belts will hook to the upper support structure to be determined...

The other 3 pictures show the Mini pedals I repurposed for the Whatever project. They need new bushings (I have them) and when the master cylinders are in, there will be a brace to support the inner end of the pedal pivot shaft (a half inch grade 8 bolt). The important thing is that I can get my feet on them and they feel okay. I'm going to use a spare Mini gas pedal too, as it is very similar to old Ford spoons, but smaller..

I'm feeling good about it. I did as suggested on both sites, I used what I had and made it work...

Comment

• Curious......
                  Just a "Bun Seat" for the Jump Seat side?

Comment

• Originally posted by Captain View Post
                    Curious......
                    Just a "Bun Seat" for the Jump Seat side?
                    No there's actually enough room when my fat ass seat is in the correct position for a slightly narrower (16") seat for a passenger. I'm going to use some sort of "bomber" seat, like Speedway sells. Of course that means when I have passengers they will have to be svelte. Seriously though the driver's seat has a bit of rib support, and that's what made me get the size I did. The 16 inch vintage seat felt like I was in a vise. Speedway's bomber seat doesn't have much rib cage support. BTW that was why I didn't get a new 2 series BMW a year and a half back. The rib support bolsters hurt. My butt fit fine, and with the bad back, getting into the seat was even worse.

Today god willing and the creek don't rise I'm going to dig out the Mini gas pedal, tack weld the bung supporting the pedals into the frame rails, tack weld the seat mount together, drill 2 more mounting bolt holes for the seat mount, and if I survive all that, tig the 4 flange nuts into the frame rails. There I said it, now I have to do it!

Comment

No there's actually enough room when my fat ass seat is in the correct position for a slightly narrower (16") seat for a passenger. I'm going to use some sort of "bomber" seat, like Speedway sells. Of course that means when I have passengers they will have to be svelte. Seriously though the driver's seat has a bit of rib support, and that's what made me get the size I did. The 16 inch vintage seat felt like I was in a vise. Speedway's bomber seat doesn't have much rib cage support. BTW that was why I didn't get a new 2 series BMW a year and a half back. The rib support bolsters hurt. My butt fit fine, and with the bad back, getting into the seat was even worse.

Today god willing and the creek don't rise I'm going to dig out the Mini gas pedal, tack weld the bung supporting the pedals into the frame rails, tack weld the seat mount together, drill 2 more mounting bolt holes for the seat mount, and if I survive all that, tig the 4 flange nuts into the frame rails. There I said it, now I have to do it!
                      One seat the kid liked in his derby car was the passenger seat out of a NEON! Put it in 4-5 cars before the back broke. There is a bar that runs from the floor to roof it leans on.

Comment

• Ordered a new bender die, 1 inch 220 degree. Not cheap. It's to make cowl support hoop parts and a few nerf bars and a back crash bar. I'm not going to call it a bumper as if someone should run into it they will know they crashed into it. Started making some dimensioned sketches of what I have in mind.

Have I ever told you guys that a mind is a terrible thing to waste? No problem with me, didn't have one to begin with...

Now back to the update. I dug out another set of Mini pedals today, unmolested. You would swear that Alex Issigonis, the man who designed the Mini, had a model T in mind. The unmolested setup fits and even lines the bell cranks up with where I am going to mount the master cylinders. I pressed in new bushings with the correct id's and od's and even the return spring works like it's supposed to.

Next to ensure that the steering column fits, I assembled the switch assemblies and plastic cowl and mocked up the column in relation to the seat. A threaded bung in the frame rail just below the firewall and the lower end will be mounted. I'm thinking that I am getting this particular piece of the puzzle too easily. Oh well pictures tomorrow...

Comment

Have I ever told you guys that a mind is a terrible thing to waste? No problem with me, didn't have one to begin with...
                          But if you wasted it, do you mind?
                          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Dave - Please take a look in the Tech Section - FGI has a steering question and I promised him you would make our eyes glaze over with tech talk before posting a useful answer.....

Dan

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

But if you wasted it, do you mind?
                              Let me talk it over with myselves. We'll get back to you when we have a definitive answer, and furthermore and because of none of the above will my junior self be able to respond in less than 300 words or less, so let me make one thing perfectly clear, I don't remember what the question was...

Comment

• So today's progress was getting the T5 transmission from my brother in law's garage to my garage. Got a good lunch out of the effort as well. He's a professional chef, so it's always better than pb&j with beer! BTW that's a good breakfast when you are at Syracuse for the big dirt race years ago and money is running low... just make sure to use whole wheat bread!

Focus, back on point. Also the new bender die got here today. Haven't even opened the box yet. Drove from Gansevoort to Pittsfield and back. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Now to get some 1 inch tube.

And search for threads on T5 transmissions. The one I got is a nwc and steep granny first gear. Might have to locate a Camaro v8 T5 and do the tailshaft swap. At least I have the nice tight shifter location.

Comment

Working...
                                X