Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Captain View Post
    COST !!!!
    I bauked at all electric gauge sets when I seen the price difference building the Indy Racer. I might regret this later if I have to remove the whole dash in the future as the Water Temp Gauge is mechanical.....
    I know! I felt a tightening of my wallet looking at the costs of the different brands of gauges. That's my thinking. If I ever have to r&r gauges, that damn t bucket is so small I'll be hard pressed to get into it and replace a faulty one. I'm thinking about Stewart Warner gauges, the Wings line, but haven't a clue about reliability, country of origin, materials, etc. I've used Autometer years ago (~30). Wasn't impressed with the plastic bodies back then. But they worked, so...

Anyway, open to suggestions...

Comment

• Well, I prefer mechanical oil pressure and water temp with the rest being OK if they are electric (oil temp, trans temp, fuel, volts ....)
      As to servicing them down the road - make it EXTREMELY easy to remove the seats!

Comment

• My - (I've used that twice today) - If you like digital I've had super success with Auber. They're reasonably cheap, super precise (and, I think accurate) and just need little rectangular cutouts. Temps use thermocouples like you and I are used to (linerization is built in) and you can make any of the gages alarm if you hit OMG territory. Available in several readout colors. But the look may not be what you're after. Mutt has mostly Auber gages but with a Monarch phototach (1 pulse/rev) because I'm used to them from my dyno days.

Dan

Comment

• Too high tech. And I want an older look. The reason I'm leaning electric gauges is it's easier to hide/tuck everything in. If I end up using mechanical for oil pressure and water temperature I'll make my decision on the length of the tube of the temperature gauge.

Comment

• Originally posted by dave.g.in.gansevoort View Post
            Too high tech. And I want an older look. The reason I'm leaning electric gauges is it's easier to hide/tuck everything in. If I end up using mechanical for oil pressure and water temperature I'll make my decision on the length of the tube of the temperature gauge.
            I eschewed a mechanical OP gage to eliminate the possibility of hosing down the driver (me) in the event of a failure of the line which I saw at the track. Not a good thing. So same decision different reason.

Dan

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

I eschewed a mechanical OP gage to eliminate the possibility of hosing down the driver (me) in the event of a failure of the line which I saw at the track. Not a good thing. So same decision different reason.

Dan
              So you'all know that you can buy -3 fittings for both the gauge and the engine block and use a REAL hose/line between the two?
              On the wagon, I put in a -3 bulkhead fitting and have two lines without any failures (so far).

Comment

• Yes been doing that since the dirt track days. We had an engine fire one night due to the silly little plastic line. Next week it had a teflon lined stainless braid hose. Jim's first year 1962, he spent 6 months in a burn ward, so never again. That's also why (2ndary) we used electric gauges on most of his cars starting in the 90s.

Some people say just use copper tube, same issues.issues. Copper work hardens, and will fracture eventually.

Comment

• As previously reported in another thread, I've been cleaning up the garage and rearranging stuff. Thru the process I pulled out parts that I know I want to use on the Whatever project. Carburetor, manifold, cam gear drive, and lots of smaller parts that had disappeared into the abyss of my random method for parts storage. F'rinstance, some Mini parts. Pedal pads, ignition switch, spare wiring harness (heaven knows that is required when talking Lucas Prince of Darkness electricals). And thru it all the only things thrown out were empty cardboard boxes. I know, everyone saves boxes, but it was time to jettison the ones that were more duct tape than cardboard.

So I consider this progress. That's my story and I'm sticking to it

Comment

• Did a couple of things to the Whatever project yesterday and today. Ordered steering u-joints and a length of double D shaft, and rolled it out of the garage so I could get the trailer into the work bay. Put the Whatever project in the parking bay for the daily driver. Yeah I know bfd . But it's something...

Comment

• I got the shaft today! It's not a bad thing. The double D shaft arrived today. U-joints are scheduled to show up tomorrow. On a Sunday! I'll believe that when they are in the garage.

I got the new fenders for the trailer primed today. And found the neatest small really bright, tiny led running lights. I did #$%% up however and get 2 right side tail lights. So tomorrow back to the store and exchange for a left side light. A little more work this week and I can move the trailer out of the garage so I have room to work on the Whatever project again!

I've been measuring and cogitating on the cowl support hoop now for a couple of weeks it seems. As soon as I have the u-joints at hand, I'll get the steering column mocked up will then maybe have a brainstorm for the support structure. Anyone have any ideas, sketch them up and post them. And if you have already done something similar, post pictures. I need help!

And that includes professional help... there Dan, I said it before you did!

Comment

• Who, me?

Dan

Comment

• Did nuttin today. Started off with a migraine, took drugs and chilled for a little bit, returned a right side tail light for a left side light. Yeah they're handed, and Dumas me, I got 2 right sides. 2 trips 45 minutes each round trip. But now I have most of the stuff to finish up on my trailer.

And no the u-joints didn't show up. Surprise, surprise! I thought that was being overly optimistic on Summit's part. Well I wouldn't have gotten to them so no big deal!

Now if I can find stuff to redo the motor mounts this week... cleaning up can be a curse!

Comment

• My PHD Thesis was/is on Procrastination!!
                            to a phalt of "To Lazy to put it away, or at least in a box of other parts for that project"
                            So, I will set it anywhere convenient at the moment, or set it in a New Catchall Box, and forget "What the HELL did I Do With That !!?
                            I Just Bought It !!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Captain View Post
                              My PHD Thesis was/is on Procrastination!!
                              to a phalt of "To Lazy to put it away, or at least in a box of other parts for that project"
                              So, I will set it anywhere convenient at the moment, or set it in a New Catchall Box, and forget "What the HELL did I Do With That !!?
                              I Just Bought It !!"
                              You know what Ph. D really means, piled higher and deeper. I only have an MS, more shit. My older brother has a BS, bullshit. So that's the size of things...

Comment

• Got the new u-joints today. Next couple of days tied up with all kinds of appointments, so probably won't be able to make much progress on any of my projects. They fit right out of the packaging. Sketched out the under cowl support hoop and how to make it. 1 inch tubing double hoops, 1 at the firewall and 1 at the back edge of the dash. Some cross braces, and a something to be determined structure to support the upper end of the steering column. Then a master cylinder or 2.

Comment

Working...
                                X