The "Whatever" Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

I'm still running my Michigan "forever" plate on mine. Never been stopped - and I do carry the MI registration if I ever am. "But officer, I thought "forever" meant always until the end of time." Plausible deniability......

Dan
    You know I still have a Michigan centennial of the automobile plate for the trailer. I wonder if that would work here in the Vampire State, er that is the Empire State...

Comment

• Today pulled a section of plastic conduit out of the shed to make solid spacers for the Koni shocks going on the rear. Just like on the current rear ones I'll make them the right length to set the rear ride height. That's tomorrow's first project. Measured up front to see if I can make the panhard bar the same length as the drag link. Probably not, but close. Shouldn't cause noticeable bump steer.

AND I remembered that I was going to order the clutch disc and pressure plate for the whatever project last week or maybe even the week before. Oh well, I've been absent minded since I was a kid, why change now!

Comment

• Made the 2 coilover spacers today. Real machinists and woodworkers would cringe seeing how I opened up the ends of the conduit to fit the spring seats on the coilovers. Using the 4 jaw chuck on the inside of the conduit, and the woodturning tool rest to center the conduit, I figured would be good enough. Then using a round nose woodturning chisel I reached into the opposite end of the conduit and cut out enough for the conduit to fit over the spring seats. Oh and I had the lathe turning at its slowest speed just in case I had an oops, and the conduit popped off the chuck.

Next was to take the rear shocks off and move them to the front and loose the buggy spring and its big ugly mount. I gained a lot of territory up front and that's before removing the 2.5 inch crossmember. That's for another day because I have to do a little restructuring up front.

Then setting up the Konis for the rear suspension was easy. Right now the rear ride height is set so that when I put the springs in, I can adjust the spring seats to get it back to this setting. I need to machine a couple of new spacers for the front to get the coilovers to clear in one spot, but it's not a big deal. Currently the upper shock mounts are not weldedto the frame, and I set the ride height where I want it with spacers. Again that's for tomorrow.

And finally I have to make a panhard bar and mounts for the front. Piece of pie as Dan would say. Cake is easy, pie takes a little bit more effort... Pictures tomorrow

Comment

• Pumpkin pie! That's how easy it was to make spacers today. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1292.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	1.59 MB
ID:	1309838 That's it between the axle and the bottom of the coilover. One for each side.

Also started on the panhard bar and mounts. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1291.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	1.43 MB
ID:	1309839 Oops, it's not in this picture. Oh well it was box cake easy. I already had a section of 7/8 heavy wall dom that is so close to the perfect length that I said to myself self I said better is the enemy of good enough, and just threaded in 2 rod ends. Tomorrow I'll make a weld spud for the axle and a bracket for the other end to attach to the frame.

And last, I promised a picture of the Konis on the back. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1293.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	1309840Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1294.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	1309841 Okay so not too exciting. I got you guys a picture or two of the progress so give me a break!

Hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving!

Comment

• Steering, steering, steering! Started tinkering with little stuff for the steering shaft and column. I redid the runners on the neighbors Xmas sled from last year, but it used up all of the 1 inch tube I had for the upper column support. But the good news is that I used the new bender die for 1 inch tube, and it worked great. So this week I'll try to get some more of the 1 inch tube. I have enough left to make a layout piece like I did for the 1.5 inch tubing. I'll use that to lay out the under cowl support hoop before bending.

Oh well it's just as well I can continue with the lower support bracket.

Comment

• Everyone ready for a good chuckle? Tuesday November 30, goes down as big toe day! you say?

I'm going with coilovers on the front as well as the rear. Which means that I had removed the buggy spring and its big ugly mount from the whatever project. Put it on a chair in the garage. Tuesday my next door neighbor asked to use the garage to change his oil. So I was neatening up the garage. Went to move the chair with said parts on it, and was rewarded with a that big ugly mount and spring landing on my left foot.

Now you ask, why didn't you have on safety shoes? Good question. Answer, just a quick little clean up. Nothing's going to happen. Remember those words...

So I take the left shoe off, and the sock is pretty bloody. Pull the sock off, and the toenail is barely hanging on.

So into the house trailing blood, and say to SWMBO, I think that I better go to the hospital and get this checked out. The good news is that I have very little feeling in my toes due to back damage, so I drive myself to the hospital.

5 hours later I'm finally back home, no broken bones, but the nail is almost gone. And a bandage that won t stay on because they don't really teach basic first aid to nurses anymore.

Comment

• More later

Comment

• Originally posted by dave.g.in.gansevoort View Post
                  ...Now you ask, why didn't you have on safety shoes? ...
                  I haven't been able to find any safety toed flip flops down here.

Comment

• All Safety Failure Investigations;
                    Go back each step and find the point of
                    Critical Decision Failure, that later causes
                    the LATER incident......
                    Was the Chair Rated for this Storage Capacity?
                    (Reality Check....95% are all "Laziness")

Comment

• Yup as they used to say, my bad!

So another friend and colleague of Dan and I, Peter Caffrey, was a real optimistic person. When he had ulcerative colitis that wouldn't stop bleeding years ago requiring emergency surgery that resulted in the doctor removing the entire large intestine, he looked at the up side after all was said and done, and told us, well the bright side is that he'll never have to worry about colon cancer, or appendicitis!

In that vein, not being able to feel the damage done to my toe, I'm not in any pain! That's a good thing!

Comment

• Bummer Dave! Hope you heal quickly. I'll wait 'till then to tease you. If it's any comfort, Bro Dave has had his toe nails removed (psoriatic arthritis) and it works fine.

Dan

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                          Bummer Dave! Hope you heal quickly. I'll wait 'till then to tease you. If it's any comfort, Bro Dave has had his toe nails removed (psoriatic arthritis) and it works fine.

Dan
                          Thanks Dan. It's not a big deal, more an irritation. I'm supposed to keep it elevated as much as practical, but it's hard to sit idle for too long. Here's a picture of the foot, with the only shoe that I can get on: Click image for larger version

Name:	20211203_152135.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	932.5 KB
ID:	1310125 Doesn't look like much. But I don't want to drop anything else on it in this shoe!

So only small stuff tinkering until I can get a shoe on it again. You guys with serious stuff going on and still getting on with it amaze me. I'm just such a wuss!

Comment

• Originally posted by dave.g.in.gansevoort View Post

Thanks Dan. It's not a big deal, more an irritation. I'm supposed to keep it elevated as much as practical, but it's hard to sit idle for too long. Here's a picture of the foot, with the only shoe that I can get on: Click image for larger version

Name:	20211203_152135.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	932.5 KB
ID:	1310125 Doesn't look like much. But I don't want to drop anything else on it in this shoe!

So only small stuff tinkering until I can get a shoe on it again. You guys with serious stuff going on and still getting on with it amaze me. I'm just such a wuss!
                            Tennis shoes and a quick dance.
                            had a 2” sheet drop 3 feet off the magnet on my brand new steel toe boots. 4,000 lbs.
                            barely kissed my foot. Had to buy another pair

Comment

• I once had something drop on my toe around here, it was just a couple inches and was told I needed to not put up such an act over a small thing, I think I was just sitting on the ground quietly at that point but there probably was some writhing and grimacing and words that were not quite coming out. Removal of shoe, see sock all bloody...yeah a short distance falling but it was 500#, this is not an act. Nail grew back, just a little wonky. I have these neat black leather tennis shoes I found at Wal-Mart that have a steel toe, which often sit out of danger's way in the corner 'cause I don't want to mess them up. I'm kind-of an idiot.

Thread hi-jack, I sent a 20-something shipping manager an e-mail this week describing a box as being 12x12x16", 40#. He sent me an e-mail back asking how heavy it was.

Comment

• Thread hi-jack, I sent a 20-something shipping manager an e-mail this week describing a box as being 12x12x16", 40#. He sent me an e-mail back asking how heavy it was. [/QUOTE]

This was a "Density vs Volume" question.
                                HIS vs the Shipment !!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X