No announcement yet.

The "Whatever" Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is 40hashtag something to the kids? Sounds like you got a knothead......

Dan

Comment

• Interesting stories. I'm constantly amazed at what the younger generation comes up with. Dan's probably correct (as much as we don't want to admit it, cause he'll get a swelled head...). That is probably something like "oh man, that older generation is so uncool! ", in our generational speak.

I've given up on trying to understand all the slang used these days. I know, so 20th century! I resemble that

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
        Is 40hashtag something to the kids?
        Dan
        What do they do when instructions or something mention to use the "pound sign"? Sit there wondering what is wrong with the instructions? Lately I used ditto marks instead of cluttering up a quote with the same line repeated over and over which also indicates the lines are the same and won't need to be examined for small differences. It came back to me with the question "what are all these marks for?!" Gosh it makes my head hurt. Or was I just into the refrigerator too many times last night while pondering nostalgic about old times?

Anyhow, back to the subject, dave.g. I hope you're feeling better.

Comment

• Maybe someone should start a thread that translates what each generation's slang currently means. Or better yet a program, or as they say now, an ap.

Comment

• I try to where my boots in the shop. But sometimes I am lazy too. I was attempting to TIG some aluminum a big ball of Moulton filler rod did not join the puddle and rolled off and landed on the top of my tennis shoes. It went through the top of my shoe, my sock, between my toes, and bottom of my socks. I wonder how deep it would have gone if it didn't go between my toes?
            http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
            1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
            ​​​​​​

Comment

• Originally posted by Russell View Post
              I try to where my boots in the shop. But sometimes I am lazy too. I was attempting to TIG some aluminum a big ball of Moulton filler rod did not join the puddle and rolled off and landed on the top of my tennis shoes. It went through the top of my shoe, my sock, between my toes, and bottom of my socks. I wonder how deep it would have gone if it didn't go between my toes?
              I hate it when I do that and now when you step in a puddle your sock will get wet!

Comment

I try to where my boots in the shop. But sometimes I am lazy too. I was attempting to TIG some aluminum a big ball of Moulton filler rod did not join the puddle and rolled off and landed on the top of my tennis shoes. It went through the top of my shoe, my sock, between my toes, and bottom of my socks. I wonder how deep it would have gone if it didn't go between my toes?
                Bummer! Hope it wasn't too painful. I've done similar with the MIG and steel rolling molten balls - it hurts!

Dan

Comment

when I worked for my dad installing commercial range hoods, I had several t-shirts that looked like I'd been standing in a fire rain (which, I had been). We believed that if it went through it was no harm or foul, it's when it get caught that pain occurs..

40# is different then #40
                  Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

Bummer! Hope it wasn't too painful. I've done similar with the MIG and steel rolling molten balls - it hurts!

Dan
                    It really didn't hurt at all it just got the edge of my toes! I got very lucky. That sock when in the trash and the shoes are a good reminder to go put my boots on.
                    http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                    1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                    ​​​​​​

Comment

• Every time I have to rewrap my big toe is a reminder for me! DOH!

Comment

• Originally posted by Loren View Post
                        I once had something drop on my toe around here, it was just a couple inches and was told I needed to not put up such an act over a small thing, I think I was just sitting on the ground quietly at that point but there probably was some writhing and grimacing and words that were not quite coming out. Removal of shoe, see sock all bloody...yeah a short distance falling but it was 500#, this is not an act. Nail grew back, just a little wonky. I have these neat black leather tennis shoes I found at Wal-Mart that have a steel toe, which often sit out of danger's way in the corner 'cause I don't want to mess them up. I'm kind-of an idiot.

Thread hi-jack, I sent a 20-something shipping manager an e-mail this week describing a box as being 12x12x16", 40#. He sent me an e-mail back asking how heavy it was.
                        Nbr 40
                        vs
                        40 lbs.
                        huh? What is nbr and lbs mean?

Comment

• I just got a different idea. Watching an episode of the Twilight Zone, one of the protagonists drives up to a house in a square Bird, roughly 1960. When he gets out, he unlocks the steering column and swings it to the right side making it easier to get out of the car. So now I just have to devise a mechanism to do that for the whatever project.

Considering that there is a u-joint at the bottom of the column attached to the shaft leading back from the steering box, that is supported by a bearing, the bottom of the column will pivot in any direction. So I was thinking that a bracket setting horizontal to the column with a slot matching the swing of the column, and locked with a quarter turn bolt arrangement, will get it done.

Am I crazy?

Comment

• Originally posted by dave.g.in.gansevoort View Post

Am I crazy?
                            Yes. But a swing-away steering column can probably work fine. Will the U-joint have to be oriented in a certain direction for the column to swing?

Dan

Comment

• No, I'm not crazy! Whatever gave you that idea? Why just yesterday I was talking to Arthur (that's my middle name) about a few of the random thoughts running around in the garage of my mind. Fortunately it looks good for the most part...

Where was I? Oh yes u-joints. The ones that I have can accommodate up to 30 degrees of angle from straight. And it doesn't matter what direct, up, down, to some oblique angle column relative to the steering shaft. Because ultimately the u-joint angle is one shaft related to the other, regardless of where the angled one is pointing.

Think about a driveshaft. It can be offset up or down or side to side or a combination as long as critical angles are not exceeded, and they are equal. The only difference being there is only one u-joint.

Comment

• Originally posted by dave.g.in.gansevoort View Post
                                No, I'm not crazy! Whatever gave you that idea? Why just yesterday I was talking to Arthur (that's my middle name) about a few of the random thoughts running around in the garage of my mind. Fortunately it looks good for the most part...

Where was I? Oh yes u-joints. The ones that I have can accommodate up to 30 degrees of angle from straight. And it doesn't matter what direct, up, down, to some oblique angle column relative to the steering shaft. Because ultimately the u-joint angle is one shaft related to the other, regardless of where the angled one is pointing.

Think about a driveshaft. It can be offset up or down or side to side or a combination as long as critical angles are not exceeded, and they are equal. The only difference being there is only one u-joint.
                                Check out Crown Vic’s of 2005 (-+) vintage
                                they have a dogleg with their ujoint on thr steering

Comment

Working...
                                X