Clear All

• Here's some more circus acts.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_77847.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	1313130

This might be a posed shot, or he needs a "Hot Shoe" for his "Bun"​​​​​

Last edited by Captain; January 30, 2022, 05:34 AM.

Comment

• That's what monkeys DO. I think they're better padded nowadays.

Dan

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
        That's what monkeys DO. I think they're better padded nowadays.

Dan
        I'm better padded these days! There's no way I'm going to try it...

Comment

• Originally posted by dave.g.in.gansevoort View Post

I'm better padded these days! There's no way I'm going to try it...
          Me neither!

Dan

Comment

• Finally got some quality time in the garage today. Started by neatening up a bit. Knocked the rollcage fabricated about a year ago in a false start apart. It takes up a whole lot less room this way. I'm saving the parts for another project that is percolating thru my brain. Besides a waist is a terrible thing to mind!

Wait! What?

Back to the feeble attempt at an update. I made some spacers to support the front of the frame at the proper ride height as I removed the buggy spring and its big ugly mount and have started the switch over to coilovers up front as well as the rear. Put the nose in place and have started making new crossmembers to allow cutting out the large diameter front crossmember currently in the chassis. I'll take a picture or 5 of the work so far either tomorrow or Friday, storm notwithstanding.

So next steps: make 2 new crossmembers, redo the nose supports, finally finish the steering, pedals, and seat support. Which reminds me, I'm going to have to order the new seats tomorrow from Speedway... I'll easily get the free shipping!

Comment

• Pictures equal less typing explanations.

Comment

• Originally posted by Monster View Post
                Pictures equal less typing explanations.
                Yes, but that requires forethought. I'm getting older and my memory isn't... wait what were we discussing?

Comment

• Well, it's time for suggestions. Just surfing for seats. Prices are high as expected, but the real kicker is estimated delivery date. Some won't even give that. So now it's time to do something else if possible. I'm thinking that maybe I should go with a bench seat. Won't be too hard to go from the seat mount system that is already built to making a cushion base and seat back. Anyone who has done something similar could you jump in and give suggestions and pictures, or links to your efforts? My other option is to make some kind of bucket seats. I'm not sure if I have the chops to pull that off.

A 3rd choice would be to get some existing seat(s) and try not to butcher it(them) in an attempt to make something usable and decent looking.

That's my story and I'm sticking to...

Comment

• Patrick & Tammy
                    - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• I was on Speedway's site this am, and it didn't show any available. Now they appear to have them... sheese the supply chain is afu!

thanks for the link.I'm going to call and if they have 2, done deal! Spendy for sure. But I can't take it with me!

Comment

• 2 seats just ordered! SWMBO didn't complain too much about the cost. Dan, we're going to have to cut the door open, tho, so late in the year, I'll be looking for guidance... that's the cost of getting new seats!

Thanks silver bullet.

Comment

• Patrick & Tammy
                          - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• Originally posted by dave.g.in.gansevoort View Post
                            2 seats just ordered! SWMBO didn't complain too much about the cost. Dan, we're going to have to cut the door open, tho, so late in the year, I'll be looking for guidance... that's the cost of getting new seats!

Thanks silver bullet.
                            Lemmie know what you need and when. You'll need some kind of A and B pillar and hinges (I think Speedway and others have some options or maybe a junkyard crawl is in order). The cutting open and framing the door may be the easy part.

Dan

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

Lemmie know what you need and when. You'll need some kind of A and B pillar and hinges (I think Speedway and others have some options or maybe a junkyard crawl is in order). The cutting open and framing the door may be the easy part.

Dan
                              Yes I certainly will be in touch with you when the time comes to cut the door open. Speedway sells a door kit for the body. It's got hinges, latch parts, door and surround. My guess is that the intent is to cut the body to fit the surround, and glass that in. It probably still needs wood or steel support around the opening.

I'd lean towards steel, I am more comfortable cutting and welding than cutting planing glueing, starting over cutting again... With steel it's just cut a little bit off, weld some more back in, hit it with the grinder...

Seriously that's a year or so away at a minimum, first I'll be getting everything in the car functioning and bolted down. Bodywork and interior other than seats and controls can be done later...

I hope!

Comment

• Woo Hoo, got the new seats today! Speedway bomber seats! Really nice, very light, and shiney! I won't bore you with pictures of the seats, they look just like in the catalog. Tomorrow and Friday, god willing and the creek don't rise, I'll be fitting them into the Whatever, so I can finally finish steering and pedals. Then I'll get you all some pictures. No really it's going to happen this week. Honest, I promise...

And a final point. My adipose tissue actually fits quite well! I was a little concerned as the listed dimensions are 1 inch narrower than the Kirkey vintage seat I now have for another project. These seats should be easy to mount on the seat riser I already made, just some steel pads welded to the riser with 3/8 button head bolts thru the bottom and eventually thru the back once the rear structure is in.

And it's going to be pushin 60 up here for the next couple days, so I won't even need to run the heat for very long, just enough to get rid of the cold soak from the last few weeks.

Comment

Working...
                                X