No announcement yet.

The "Whatever" Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As Dave knows I don't do well in cold weather and had heat in the A2 shop. Still have heat here even though there are many winter days when I don't need it. On cold days I fire the Mighty Reznor up before I leave for lunch, do lunch and my errands, and when I get home the shop is warm and the tools are even toasty. I know I'm spoiled.

Dan

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
      As Dave knows I don't do well in cold weather and had heat in the A2 shop. Still have heat here even though there are many winter days when I don't need it. On cold days I fire the Mighty Reznor up before I leave for lunch, do lunch and my errands, and when I get home the shop is warm and the tools are even toasty. I know I'm spoiled.

Dan
      Unfortunately, if I or Maggie have something on our social calendar (i.e. dr's appointments, PT, or some such) heating the garage while out don't make it! Open a 16 foot wide garage door, back the daily driver in, and all the heat's gone!

That's where I'm getting to be a wuss with cars. My daily driver stays inside unless the cutting torch is in use. Oh or rattle cans... don't need to be compounding overspray off it either. Besides we need a step for Maggie to get in the Equinox these days. She's only 4' 10ish" tall, and the Equinox sits rather high for her. It's just easier to do that inside the garage. We've been lucky so far this winter, and haven't had to use it on ice or snow.
      thaat could be bad...

Comment

• Here it's not a hardship for the DDs to live outside so we sidestep that issue. Sorry Maggie needs a step. As Mom aged (you remember how tiny she was!) I found a fold-up step that I carried in the pickup when she would be with me and that worked out well.

Dan

Comment

• yeah your mom was tiny, made you look like the hulk! I made a step, appropriately, out of left over stair tread material, oak, and used anti slip tape on it. Yes it's heavy, no it's not my brother, and it works just fine at no expense. Hey mom's side of the family was Scotts! That side is thrifty...

Not too much snow today. Just finishedclearing the driveway. Probably 6 inches of light powdery stuff. Considered turning the heat on in the garage and going out to fit tubing here and there on the Whatever. Decided to sit by the fire instead, and look for bits and bobs for it instead.

Remember when we had to scour the junk yards and our friends back 40 to find parts? Yeah, this here interent thingie has made life better... or us lazier!

Well back to looking for whatever for the Whatever

Comment

• Just by chance, after getting back in from clearing the end of the driveway, AGAIN! I hit the 1stpageof this diatribe on a post dated February 23, 2021, a year and 2 days ago. Guess what I was doing that day also? Give up? Clearing the driveway! I think the town plow guy hates me!

Was going to make some chips and sparks this afternoon, but now my back aches from horsing the snowblower around twice. Gonna set a spell, take a nap, and then have supper.

Yup, I'm a wuss!

Comment

• Serendipity: the occurrence and development of events by chance in a happy or beneficial way.

Saw a truck today from a local company, Stonebridge Iron and Steel. Not a steel supplier per se, but they do have a sales desk. Most importantly, they have small enough trucks that they can and will deliver to my small neighborhood cul de sac. And the cost is reasonable

Told me it would be a couple of days before I get the order. No problem as I'm still not motivated enough to get out in the garage and turn the heat on, and make stuff.

Comment

• Originally posted by dave.g.in.gansevoort View Post
                Serendipity: the occurrence and development of events by chance in a happy or beneficial way.

Saw a truck today from a local company, Stonebridge Iron and Steel. Not a steel supplier per se, but they do have a sales desk. Most importantly, they have small enough trucks that they can and will deliver to my small neighborhood cul de sac. And the cost is reasonable

Told me it would be a couple of days before I get the order. No problem as I'm still not motivated enough to get out in the garage and turn the heat on, and make stuff.
                We're lucky here to have a steel supplier with a walk-thru warehouse so you can pick your own stuff (Southern Metals Recycling). They have some new material but also get end cuts and scrap from manufacturers, roll ends, and the like. Aluminum, SS, and steel by the pound! Love that place. But I do have Truck to bring it home.

Comment

• Just got back from the steel supplier located yesterday. They updated the quote to show the quantity I wanted, and gave me a break on the cost for volume. It was already less expensive than the stuff I got from Metal Supermarkets 2 years ago, before the discount. Call me very happy!

Comment

• OK, Very Happy!

Dan

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                      OK, Very Happy!

Dan
                      That's Mr. Very Happy! To the tune "Tears of a clown"

Comment

• Finally back in the garage today! Fixed a vacuum cleaner! Oh and then I was able to squeeze in some effort on the Whatever project. New crossmembers so I can cut out the big ugly front crossmember currently in the way of getting a radiator in easily. And a couple of brackets to support the nose once big ugly is out.

Now the outside shape was easy. First was cad (cardboard aided design), to get it to fit where I wanted it (well, them more appropriately...). And they both needed a square hole thru so that the existing rear support pegs already located will remain in the same location. The brackets drop over the pegs, leaving just enough room to get a recip saw blade under to cut the pegs away from the big ugly front crossmember. So that's tomorrow's effort and then pictures.

And I keep getting amazed at how slow I am these days making things. Going back to the vacuum, it was just a simple repair of the power brush head. Let's see first get it apart, 2 to 3 hours figuring out how it was put together. Then take it apart and pullout the brush drive hub. Oh shit, broke a little tiny mfing 3-50 metric screw off.

So next get the jewelers lathe out and drill out the screw. Where's the chuck key? Look for that for an hour or so. Finally find it, drill the screw out, and retap the spindle deeper. Then off to the hardware store as there's no effing way I have one. Now I can reassemble it.

Put it all back together, 2 screws left over. Crap! Take it all back apart, can't find any missing screws. Counted all the screws and all of the holes that need same, still 2 left over. So screw it! I'm going to reassemble it and see if it works. Then it dawned on me! I had taken a broken Keurig coffee maker apart last time I worked at that bench. Poking around I found more of those screws. Problem solved! Vacuum works fine!

So making the crossmembers and the 2 brackets was a piece of cake in comparison. Only 3 or so hours, not the 5 or 6 spent fixing a vacuum!

So, is it me?

Comment

• Yep!
                          Last edited by DanStokes; March 3, 2022, 06:04 PM.

Comment

• Momma don't let your sons grow up to be car guys! You know the tune to that!...

Comment

• Side Bar Projects are Never Listed in a "Shop Labor Time Manual" !!
                              There Should be a "Manly Shop Labor Time Manual" for "Domestic Honey Do Repairs" LOL .....

Comment

• Originally posted by Captain View Post
                                Side Bar Projects are Never Listed in a "Shop Labor Time Manual" !!
                                There Should be a "Manly Shop Labor Time Manual" for "Domestic Honey Do Repairs" LOL .....
                                Can I quote you on this to SWMBO?

Comment

Working...
                                X