The "Whatever" Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dave.g.in.gansevoort View Post

M go Blue! MSE-ME 95. I have never done anything the normal way. You should have seen the first car that I bought, was a 57 Chevy hard top, road sign square tubing for the cage. It was 3/16 wall 2 inch square and must have added 500 pounds to the weight of the car.

Was your time in Marysville spent at the proving track? Ran one project while at Battelle there. That place was awesome!

Still ruminating over the possibility of changing some of the underpinnings. The 34 Ford axle will increase the track width by 4 inches. Speedway sells a 9-inch grand national style rear that is 58 inches flange to flange. A near perfect match for the front. That would allow the axles currently under the Whatever project to be repurposed to that future project. So now I have to look at the big picture. Can I build both, what's the cost, can I find all of the extra parts?

For now forge on ahead as currently planned
    Thought the plan for Whatever was to use up your existing parts? Project creep - we all have it.

Dan

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

Thought the plan for Whatever was to use up your existing parts? Project creep - we all have it.

Dan
      Dave, Don't feel like the "Lone Ranger" on this build !!!
      I just have to look at the "Indy Racer Project" how it morphed from a Simple Copy of the Marmon Wasp into a 1906 Mitchell Retro Rat Rod of a Ghost Entry of the 1908 New York to Paris Race........
      I still have discarded parts to go to the Swap Meets.....

Comment

M go Blue! MSE-ME 95. I have never done anything the normal way. You should have seen the first car that I bought, was a 57 Chevy hard top, road sign square tubing for the cage. It was 3/16 wall 2 inch square and must have added 500 pounds to the weight of the car.

Was your time in Marysville spent at the proving track? Ran one project while at Battelle there. That place was awesome!

Still ruminating over the possibility of changing some of the underpinnings. The 34 Ford axle will increase the track width by 4 inches. Speedway sells a 9-inch grand national style rear that is 58 inches flange to flange. A near perfect match for the front. That would allow the axles currently under the Whatever project to be repurposed to that future project. So now I have to look at the big picture. Can I build both, what's the cost, can I find all of the extra parts?

For now forge on ahead as currently planned

Dave - I was at Honda R&D in Marysville - I did in fact spend allot of time at TRC (transportation research center) which is one cool place!

I'm with you on the widening of your "cigar car" build - wider track is always better - right? At least pontiac thought so.

There's always something new to learn.

Comment

• Yeah that's the name of the place! Late 80's when we did some work there. I just remember that the person showing us the place took us out in a contract test car of some Michigan brand now defunct with its badges removed. It had a 3.8 liter supercharged v6, 4 door sedan. And it flat ass flew for its time. He squeaked one corner out at about 120 mph and let the car track where it wanted to go. Planted my butt deeply into the seat. The next corner he was only doing 85, and forced the car up to the same lane as before. Oh we were going clockwise, as they claimed that the average driver was used to merging in and out of traffic to the right.

So there I was, having a hard time sitting upright, being the passenger! What fun...

Project creep? I was intending to recreate a version of my modified 10 or 12 years ago when I made the front axle and acquired the Winters qc. The sidetrack was deciding to build a hot rod. Back then I still had everything but a block for a 400 cid sprint car engine. Gave that to a nephew, as it had memories...

So in reality I'm getting back on track, as it were, by getting a start on the 2nd project. Oh and I bought enough tubing to finish a new rollcage for the Mini as well. I'll probably only get one of the 3 done, but it'll keep me out of trouble.

Comment

• "keep me out of trouble"

My folks weren't car people, Mom would understandably complain about all the cars around, me always being filthy dirty with hard to wash clothes, and that sort of thing. I always told her she knew where I was, I was doing something constructive, not out getting in trouble with the law, etc. Eventually they came around to my way of thinking when I got the family olds delta 88 307 V8 running better than it did from the factory (re-curved the distributor, rebuilt the quadrajet carb and replaced a few miles of vacuum line)

I guess you could say working on stuff has been "keeping me out of trouble" for over 30 years.
            There's always something new to learn.

Comment

• Just looked at the number of pages that show up on my tablet for the Whatever project, and it's gotten to 33 pages. It's kind of emblematic of my personality, I can b.s. for ever, and not say anything! Just like now. And don't ask me about progress this week! I'm really slacking. Oh well, like Little Orphan Annie sang "tomorrow, tomorrow, there's always tomorrow. Tomorrow's just ten grand away..." Well that's what she would have sung if she was into cars like us,

Comment

• "Ask Me Tomorrow, Why the Things I Planned Yesterday,
                Didn't GET DONE Today!"

Comment

Just looked at the number of pages that show up on my tablet for the Whatever project, and it's gotten to 33 pages. It's kind of emblematic of my personality, I can b.s. for ever, and not say anything! Just like now. And don't ask me about progress this week! I'm really slacking. Oh well, like Little Orphan Annie sang "tomorrow, tomorrow, there's always tomorrow. Tomorrow's just ten grand away..." Well that's what she would have sung if she was into cars like us,
                  So you're saying she was an orphan'd project?
                  Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

So you're saying she was an orphan'd project?
                    Yup!

Comment

• Got 2 under cowl support hoops made. And a new follower die pin...

So you know when you put a section of tubing in the bender and there's a couple of pins that the frame drives the dies by, and you mess up and don't get one fully seated, and you don't see that, but you go ahead and make the first half of the bend with the pin only half supported and you can't understand why the bend doesn't look right? Do you know what I mean?

Well it bends the pin such that it won't work anymore. Then you spend the next hour and a half turning a new one to the same size. Only to realize that it wasn't necessary, as all of the holes are one inch and the pins are 7/8 inch but undersized by 20 thousandsof an inch. Could have just used the 7/8 stock. But now I know...

So I finished the bends and called it a day. That was yesterday. Today I ached all over, so did in the house things, some by the fireplace. I know, I'm a wuss!

To paraphrase Sunsweet, today the pits, tomorrow the wrinkles, or to our hobby, today the fits, tomorrow the welding!

Comment

• Progress, regress, or just gress?

Dan

Comment

• Ingress or egress, but let's not talk about belly buttons. (Innies or outies, get it?).

Hey it's the best humor money can get. And you get what you pay for. Since the number is 0, you got what you paid for...

Was going to work on the Whatever project, but got sidetracked in the bedroom. Keep your minds out of the gutters, I needed to shorten the legs of the bed as much as possible, so that Maggie can get into bed more safely. Took 6 inches off the legs, wasn't enough. Now I'm looking for a good mattress that is around 6 inches thick. The current one is over a foot thick.

So tomorrow back willing, it's back to the garage and the whatever project.

Comment

Ingress or egress, but let's not talk about belly buttons. (Innies or outies, get it?).

Hey it's the best humor money can get. And you get what you pay for. Since the number is 0, you got what you paid for...

Was going to work on the Whatever project, but got sidetracked in the bedroom. Keep your minds out of the gutters, I needed to shorten the legs of the bed as much as possible, so that Maggie can get into bed more safely. Took 6 inches off the legs, wasn't enough. Now I'm looking for a good mattress that is around 6 inches thick. The current one is over a foot thick.

So tomorrow back willing, it's back to the garage and the whatever project.
                            Can you make Maggie a long box like a step for her side of the bed? Just a thought. And remember that the carpentry doesn't have to meet your Grandfather's standards..... In my head I'm seeing essentially a 2X6 framed box the length of the bed and maybe 18-24" wide with a plywood top. Might be worth a try. And we're sorry she's having these problems.

Dan
                            Last edited by DanStokes; March 25, 2022, 08:19 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

Can you make Maggie a long box like a step for her side of the bed? Just a thought. And remember that the carpentry doesn't have to meet your Grandfather's standards..... In my head I'm seeing essentially a 2X6 framed box the length of the bed and maybe 18-24" wide with a plywood top. Might be worth a try. And we're sorry she's having these problems.

Dan
                              We tried that. Trouble was the need to have a hand grip of some sort, which then gets in the way. So lower is better, kind of like a low rider! Hey man, got the 62 Chebbie with the fancy paint and antennas on both back fenders...

And today is a non-starter in the garage. I hurt worse than after a day in the garage. Who'da thunk woodworking is harder than carworking.

Comment

• I do both and sometimes both on the same day - like yesterday. Building ME a cabinet for her bathroom and working on an additional gusset for Mutt's roll cage (don't want to flunk tech at Loring). So far I'm holding up relatively well for an old fart - or maybe I'm too stubborn to quit.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                                X