No announcement yet.

The "Whatever" Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got the new tooling plate today. Now I'm ruminating over the height of the engine. The plate is tall enough to allow lowering the engine an inch or so below where it currently sits. The driving factors are the oil pan and the bellhousing bottom lip. Just been looking at shallow road race oil pans. 7 inches below the bottom of the block is the best I've found so far from a company that I trust. Tomorrow I'll see if I go low, or stay where it's at...

I'll be leaving the engine turning until a later date, as it will get damaged if I do it now. Hey, I'm a klutz some times! Final assembly will be just right...

Pictures tomorrow, if I work on the Whatever project. Today the neighbors worked me like a government mule, spreading used horse food. We have a shared butterfly garden, that Nancy, the neighborette, is making better every year. I'm glad to spread horse puck for a beautiful garden out front

Comment

• Originally posted by dave.g.in.gansevoort View Post
      "used horse food". :

Comment

• Originally posted by fatguyzinc View Post

I try...

Comment

• Oh, you're trying all right.......
          BTW - I have considerable experience with hose effluent. Hope it's about a year old or so - at first it's too "hot" to work well as fertilizer. Wife Forum and I learned that the hard way when we sterilized a garden plot. The next year it would grow anything!

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
            Oh, you're trying all right.......
            BTW - I have considerable experience with hose effluent. Hope it's about a year old or so - at first it's too "hot" to work well as fertilizer. Wife Forum and I learned that the hard way when we sterilized a garden plot. The next year it would grow anything!
            Hose effluent? Sounds like a personal problem.

The HORSE effluent has been composting for 8 to 10 years, so well past the "hot" stage. No odor whatsoever and already full of good worms and the like. The commercial soil I bought also is at least two years old, and the only real difference is the consistency. It's been run thru a big blender. It's uniform in size, color, and also odor free.

The difference is $135/yard bag, vs free. But you need a way to get the free stuff. Oh and there's some clay in the free stuff. Chunks. Probably in the commercial soil as well but being homogenized, it's not apparent.

Anyway, having a gardener neighbor who is taking care of the garden is wonderful, and I supply whatever effort or materials that they ask me for. Seems like a good deal to me... Especially since I have brown thumbs. After all, I can kill an aloe plant, supposedly the easiest to keep alive.

Comment

• So the only thing accomplished today was to call the engine builder I go to, and find out how shallow an oil pan he's comfortable with. When I told him I was thinking about a Canton Products road race oil pan with a 7 inch depth, he said that would be a really good pan, probably overkill. Which is good!

What that means is the bellhousing sets the height of the engine relative to the frame rails. As it's already just a half inch above the bottom of the bottom tubes, I think I nailed it! Tomorrow body allowing, I'll be working on the new tooling plate for the back of the engine. Only did measurements and cogitations today. After all of the dirt yesterday, I felt like I had gone 20 rounds with Ali, and he won all 20!

Comment

• OK - so I can't type. We all know that.

Comment

• The text content of this thread is good, but the ratio of relevant pictures to words is lacking.

Pick up your game ...

Comment

• Usually,
                    "2nd Processed Oats" are FREE !!!
                    Most 5 acre ....3 horse....Ranches will even
                    Deliver and Spread for you, just to get rid of it !!

Comment

• Speaking of preowned oats:
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1431.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	162.8 KB
ID:	1319217 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1432.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	215.6 KB
ID:	1319218 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1433.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	163.2 KB
ID:	1319219 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1434.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	222.6 KB
ID:	1319220 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1435.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	244.6 KB
ID:	1319221 Here's the engine plate to be...

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1436.jpg
Size:	173.9 KB
ID:	1319291

Name:	DSCN1437.jpg
Size:	209.3 KB
ID:	1319292
                        What we have here is the finished product short of being engine turned. Saving that for a later date.

Comment

• Originally posted by dave.g.in.gansevoort View Post

Name:	DSCN1436.jpg
Size:	173.9 KB
ID:	1319291

Name:	DSCN1437.jpg
Size:	209.3 KB
ID:	1319292
                          What we have here is the finished product short of being engine turned. Saving that for a later date.
                          For a gabby guy

You do NICE work.

Comment

• Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post

For a gabby guy

You do NICE work.
                            Just ask Dan...

Comment

• But the nice work? Well we'll see.

Comment

• Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post

For a gabby guy

You do NICE work.
                                Ya Know....Somes People,
                                after you Say Hello,
                                You Ain't going TOO SAY MUCH more till You Say Goodbye.......

Comment

Working...
                                X