Name:	DSCN1511.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	240.2 KB
ID:	1324211 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1436.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	173.9 KB
ID:	1324212
    Got a problem for the bs community to mull over. Master cylinder placement. Not much room anywhere I look. Across the firewall above the bellhousing. Weird linkage to make the motion turn 90 degrees. Easier up high for linkage, not much room for the reservoirs.

Next option, down low. Drop straight down with 2 pull rods to a pair of bell cranks, then back to the master cylinders under the floor. May not be enough room for the reservoirs. It will be snug around the steering u-joint as well. Another issue would be needing residual pressure valves on the brake master cylinder to keep the fluid in the right place. And I hate extra parts. That could be potential leak points.

Final option that I can see is on the firewall in the engine compartment. I'm not sure that there is room over the left cylinder head. So now I have to mock up the engine, AGAIN, to see if there's a bit of room there.

Any other ideas? I'm running out of ideas. Maybe I should consider mechanical brakes and a cable clutch like old Fords had. That would be in keeping with the t body...

Comment

• Every Family has a Engineer in the bunch.....

Like a "Game Warden", "State Trooper",
      "A Trump in 2024'r"......
      We just don't Invite Them to Family Events,
      But to Only the Religious Holidays !!!
      Last edited by Captain; August 10, 2022, 04:41 AM.

Comment

• Just a Thought,
        a remote Fluid Reservoir?
        The Master cylinder is actually very small,
        And the Reservoir needs to be above the Disc Brake Calipers anyway.......

Comment

• Originally posted by Captain View Post
          Just a Thought,
          a remote Fluid Reservoir?
          The Master cylinder is actually very small,
          And the Reservoir needs to be above the Disc Brake Calipers anyway.......
          The masters are Wilwood and I have the parts to do that. And I have considered it, and it's still on the table. My only complaint is that then I have to find another area above the master cylinders to mount a reservoir or 3. And get hosed, err that's get hoses to the masters. I know, not much of a problem...

However I like your thinking.

It was inevitable I'd become an engineer, I have the knack (look it up under Dilbert and the knack...).

Comment

• Originally posted by dave.g.in.gansevoort View Post
            Got a problem for the bs community to mull over.
            this is why we don't understand the more aged of the generations.... what does mulling have to do with brakes?

Mulling
            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• The cable in my mustang has worked so far. As long as you can keep the cable away from the exhaust and the firewall is strong enough. Go for it.why not put the brake master under the floor with a hinge floor mount brake pedal?
              Last edited by Russell; August 10, 2022, 08:34 AM.
              http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
              1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
              ​​​​​​

Comment

• Or an old-fashioned hand-operated brake lever. Not unusual in LSR.......

Just tryin' to be helpful.

Comment

• This was me for the last 3 hours! Transitioning thru the 2nd, got to the 3rd, or is that the turd? And I hurt something in my right hip!
                  Now I think I'm going to remove the body, AGAIN, put the firewall/cowl support hoop back on, put the chassis up on the big 6 ton jackstands (so okay overkill, but rock solid!), and see if any of the ideas gleaned from this discussion will work. Unfortunately I don't have an engine right now so the firewall mounting is going bye-bye for now.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1441.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	219.0 KB
ID:	1324283 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1440.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	242.2 KB
ID:	1324284 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1511.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	240.2 KB
ID:	1324285 reposting these 3 pictures so those of you so inclined to cogitate and ruminate over the problem with me can get a better perspective of the issues without having to scroll way back to find these views. Assume the cowl support hoop is the furthest out any parts can extend, because it's mostly true, and keep imagining. We'll come to some sort of solution!

And no, Dan, a hand brake and/or clutch is not on the table. An automatic transmission however is. Getting rid of 1 pedal might be viable. I should be able to trade a T5 for an aluminium cased Powerglide. Any takers?

Comment

• I know the space is limited but what do others with this body use! Do you think either of these would work? Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220810-181643.png
Views:	86
Size:	1.52 MB
ID:	1324293
                    http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                    1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                    ​​​​​​

Comment

• One person on that other car site, has built 9 and a half Ts using the Speedway body. He typically has used old Ford pedals modified to fit and work in a narrow frame. 30s era, somewhat like the Speedway pedal setup you posted. I probably should have just bought that setup and fit it in. But I didn't!

I'm getting close to a solution, but now the old (emphasis on old) back is acting up again! Another

I didn't mention it earlier because it felt sort of okay when I came in from the garage. Now, not good! And another . So probably be a week of light to no work on the Whatever project. Hopefully I'll be able to make some stuff on the lathe. Got a few things I've been meaning to make that are tedious but light. Figured id get to them come cold weather. Oh well, I should have listened to my mom all those decades ago when she admonished me to take care of my back.

Comment

• Mom ALWAYS knows best!

Comment

• Finally able to get something done in the garage today. The back is feeling better now. So I worked on the brake and clutch master cylinder linkages. Mostly the brake...

Cut out a bracket for the master cylinder, and a new actuating lever to turn the master around backwards, i.e. sticking back towards the steering wheel. I guess I'll be modifying the dash like that picture a little while back, grafting on an ugly wart of an extension. The clutch on the other hand is looking more and more like it's going to be pure mechanical linkage. No pictures today because the battery needs to be charged. And I want to finish mocking up everything tomorrow before you get to see what my nightmare looks like.

I just hope I'm not cutting it all apart after tomorrow...

Comment

• That Speedway under floor pedal assembly is starting to look a lot better now... if I could find the room. I suppose it could be modified by adapting the Wilwood master cylinder for the brakes to it. That master has a vertical bolt pattern. That would allow me to cut a bit off the side of the bracket.

Oh well, I'll press on for a little bit and see if I like what I come up with.

Comment

• FYI,
                              On building the Indy Racer Project,
                              I used the Pedal Assembly and cable out of a Suzuki Samurai for the Mustang Clutch and 5 spd.
                              Plenty of cable length, and the Geometry was all there for the Pedal Stroke......
                              (I did have to Adjust the Clutch Safety Switch to work)

Comment

• Originally posted by Captain View Post
                                FYI,
                                On building the Indy Racer Project,
                                I used the Pedal Assembly and cable out of a Suzuki Samurai for the Mustang Clutch and 5 spd.
                                Plenty of cable length, and the Geometry was all there for the Pedal Stroke......
                                (I did have to Adjust the Clutch Safety Switch to work)
                                Are there pictures on your thread? How far back?... remember that I am basically lazy

Comment

Working...
                                X