The "Whatever" Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dave.g.in.gansevoort View Post
    so Hawai'i shouldn't be that hard. This could be a real challenge, to get something on the car from all 50 states.

PM me your address and i will send you a christmas tree air freshener from a gas station or something, hah hah.....

Comment

• Oh you guys!

I'm thinking that we all need to make the same assessment! We can then crown a champion parts compiler. Could be interesting... or not

Comment

• I'm out unless we do it by miles the parts have traveled. Just NC, SC, and England.

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
          I'm out unless we do it by miles the parts have traveled. Just NC, SC, and England.
          Now that adds another layer, country. So the Mini came thru Canada, and were mostly made in the UK, obviously some of the newer parts were made in China, can't be helped, much was made here in the good old US of A, some stuff probably came from Mexico. Who knows what other countries are involved.

So I guess I need some Ferarri parts, or maybe just Fiat. And Citroen. Mercedes-Benz. Any parts from Japanese cars. Holden. Those all would get a few more countries.

Okay so enough of this silliness and back to our regularly scheduled...

Comment

• ...parts scrounging! Dan is restomodding his MGB, putting some new fangled electronically controlled engine in that requires a drive by wire throttle assembly. He graciously sent me the MGB original throttle pedal assembly for the Whatever project.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1724.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	263.3 KB
ID:	1331351 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1723.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	252.5 KB
ID:	1331352 It should be just right next to the upside down Mini clutch and brake pedals. I might have to shorten it up a little bit, but the shape of the arm looks like a good fit.

Otherwise I'm not getting any time in the garage lately. But that's life...

Comment

• Originally posted by dave.g.in.gansevoort View Post
              ...parts scrounging! Dan is restomodding his MGB, putting some new fangled electronically controlled engine in that requires a drive by wire throttle assembly. He graciously sent me the MGB original throttle pedal assembly for the Whatever project.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1724.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	263.3 KB
ID:	1331351 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1723.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	252.5 KB
ID:	1331352 It should be just right next to the upside down Mini clutch and brake pedals. I might have to shorten it up a little bit, but the shape of the arm looks like a good fit.

Otherwise I'm not getting any time in the garage lately. But that's life...
              Glad it will live on.

Comment

• Just an update on the Whatever project. Thru a friend I was put on to another engine, a 327 300 horse 67. So in the near future I'm going to go inspect it. I know of the engine builder, and he's a good one. So keep your fingers crossed that it's a good one. I'll still have the other one built, but it now doesn't have to be done by late spring or early summer...

Comment

• Just got these today. Been on order since September. I wonder how many had to be ordered before Speedway made a run of them...
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN1734.jpg Views:	0 Size:	136.7 KB ID:	1333841
                  Now to figure out how to glass it all together! Anyone ever do this install? If yes, please post a picture or two of and what alll it takes. One thing in my favor is that the body is bolted down to the frame square and solid. So when it comes to cutting the side out, at least it should maintain square.
                  Last edited by dave.g.in.gansevoort; March 9, 2023, 12:42 PM.

Comment

• No instructions? Seems like it ought to be relatively straightforward. YouTube video maybe? Seems to be one of them for everything and some actually know something.

Comment

• Yes That's the Plan! However with a twist. I'm going to have my nephew do the research. He has experience with fiberglass and lamination. And he now lives only 2 or so hours away over in Massachusetts. I've gotten suggestions on that other car site on how people have done it, so if I just get remotivated...

Comment

• I think I'd pull a SBG and over-brace the living sh!t on everything.

Comment

• Originally posted by Monster View Post
                          I think I'd pull a SBG and over-brace the living sh!t on everything.

As Dan and I always said back in our A^2 days, "A job worth doing is worth overdoing! "

Dan coined the term but being an engineer I immediately embraced the concept as it goes with another tenet of engineering. 5 minutes early is already 10 minutes late!

I took a look at the parts when I got back home from visiting Maggie at the rehab center. An aside, she's getting better every day. She's now allowed to go to the bathroom unassisted. Don't laugh, it's representative of a huge recovery response. Now back to the regularly scheduled discussion...

I'm thinking some square and rectangular box section tubing cut, bent, fitted to the shape of the body and door, sort of mimicking a and b pillars in production cars, and braced to the structures already in place in the Whatever project, and glassed to the body. First of course is Dan's MGB spindles, then clean up the garage. Then back to the Whatever project... more in the future...

Comment

• Woo hoo! I got a new radiator and it will fit with the appropriate brackets! Speedway sells a deuce roadster kit called the loboy. And it uses a chopped deuce radiator and shell. The radiator is short enough and shaped correctly to fit the track nose I'm using. I'll post pictures later, time for a doctor's appointment. But I had to open the box as soon as it got here...

Yep, I'm just a big kid Christmas morning.

Comment

• PICTURES! NEW PARTS JUNKIE!

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN1741.jpg Views:	9 Size:	168.1 KB ID:	1337728 On the left is the mockup, and on the right is the new radiator. Pretty good match!

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN1744.jpg Views:	5 Size:	203.7 KB ID:	1337729 Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN1743.jpg Views:	5 Size:	222.6 KB ID:	1337730 It fits! With room to spare! I think I can integrate the mounts for both and eliminate the support hoop inside of the nose, and the radiator will sit on brackets attached to a new crossmember that will be replacing the original round tube cut out when I axed the buggy spring and its big ugly mount.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN1746.jpg Views:	5 Size:	217.1 KB ID:	1337731 This is where the original was just hacked out. And I just know that I'll have lots of fun grinding that weld off and getting the stub of tubing out of both frame rails.

Progress!

So probably easier to cut off the ends with the stub of tubing thru, and weld on short sections of 2x3. Hopefully this week...
                              Last edited by dave.g.in.gansevoort; May 28, 2023, 08:38 PM.

Comment

• Comment

Working...
                                X