Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    Been wrenching and hammering on the T10 transmission. Hoo boy! This thing was set up for a dragster, and it was modified much more than either the guys who gave it to me (they got it in a dragster they acquired), or I figured on. It does go to show that free isn't necessarily inexpensive! So far counting shipping costs I've got $150 in it. And not counting shipping and taxes, I'm looking at just under $600 more, if nothing else needs to be freshened up.

Next, I've looked at the cost of new Super T10 transmissions from Jeg's, Summit, Speedway Motors, and the cost before shipping and taxes is just under $2400.00. So assuming that I don't have to replace much more than the parts I've identified, I believe that it's still cost effective. More to come...

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    Originally posted by Captain View Post
    Something about the Angle of Repose.....
    You only can Stack Bull Shit so high before it
    falls in on itself ....
    So I was just patiently watching at a distance.
    Well you know about college degrees, right? Community college degrees are AS-Awsome Shit. Undergraduate degree is BS-Bullshit. And the working man's graduate degree is MS-More Shit. And the academic graduate degree is PhD-Piled Higher and Deeper.

Leave a comment:

• Captain
    replied
    Something about the Angle of Repose.....
    You only can Stack Bull Shit so high before it
    falls in on itself ....
    So I was just patiently watching at a distance.

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    A Epiphany !!
    What? Neither of you two asked me to prove the 1 boast. I'm so disappointed!

Leave a comment:

• Captain
    replied
    A Epiphany !!

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    Still looking... but there's good news in the old garage today! I have a CAE in/out box, direct drive, no clutch. The same box was also available as a clutch drive box. It has the same bolt pattern as a 1948 or older Ford flathead V-8. And that means that it will bolt to a Chevy V-8 to Ford transmission adapter. CAE used to sell a steel version of that, designed for racing. It was a scattershield as well, being 1/4 inch thick steel.

The input shaft was made by Warner Gear, very difficult to find these days. And I just happen to have a lathe now. A little bit of effort and I'll have a clutch drive box in need of a car. And there's a Ford V8-60 tube axle to find its home. A 283, that would be a good matchup with the box. There's a Championship car quick change rear axle looking for a residence. And I still have a Schroeder steering box that's feeling lonesome. I'm starting to get an idea of what direction to take with Sonny, son of the Whatever project. I can see another racecar nose, just like on the Whatever project. After all, family resemblances tend to run in families. Just ask my cueball brother. He's as bald as me. Even so, I'm the smarter, better looking son... and I can prove one of those boasts!

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    Exchanged the 2 gas cylinders today, and got bit by the hydrostatic retest on one of the bottles. Normally if you empty and exchange quick enough, i.e. before the retest date, you don't have to pay. I don't use the tig much these days, so the bottle on the cart had been there for about 2 years. Which was over a year past... .

That's the bad news. The good news is that I got the T10 transmission apart . Now I have to get bearings, gaskets, seals, syncros, and a new input shaft .

I'll get a picture of the old one later, right now I'm searching for sources for a new one. As you may remember, this one was shortened for use in a dragster. And I guess the guy that did it decided that it was better if being slammed into high gear would be better without the synchro ring. There's a custom machined thing, that mates with the slider that has been welded, nicely I must say, to the input shaft. Sort of a poor man's dog ring transmission system. It's a little bit knicked up.

So what is the bottom line? $$$$$$$$$$! Still cheaper than a new one (by a bunch). But it was a 2.20 low gear close ratio T10, and it's eluding me to find a replacement so far...

Well, back to the internet. Parts to find, money to spend!

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1926.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	234.6 KB
ID:	1352512 Yeah, but where does that big shaft go? Seriously, those 2 cases, that output shaft, and a few parts from the Speedway box on the rolling scaffold will combine to make a close ratio T10, circa 1962. I have to procure a rebuild kit, to make sure I have gaskets, seals, and new synchro rings. Hey I rebuilt an M22 rock crusher transmission years ago because the case was worn out, and didn't replace the syncros the first time. I think that tells you the rest of the story.

Name:	DSCN1925.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	207.0 KB
ID:	1352513 Here's the new roll-around. The bottom drawer is currently empty! I wonder how long that will last!

Name:	DSCN1927.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	234.2 KB
ID:	1352514 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1928.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	211.1 KB
ID:	1352515 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1929.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	229.4 KB
ID:	1352516 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1930.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	233.7 KB
ID:	1352517
    The rest of the garage is pretty much organized. That 2nd portable bench with stuff on it is the last pile that needs to be sorted out and dealt with. So garage sorted, work on the Whatever project rebooted, and the new to me lathe works great. I made over the tig welder cart and with it shortened it fits in the garage much better.

Tomorrow, 2 cylinders to the welding supply house for exchange, and maybe later a little bit more on the T10...

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    Originally posted by dave.g.in.gansevoort View Post
    Well, now I have that 5/8-11 rh tap. Next thing you know, I'll need a lh tap that size! And not have one. I got fine taps both rh and lh, including some oddball sizes, like 11/16-18. You know, like old Ford tie rod ends are threaded. And I have one for Swage Lok fittings, 9/16-18. I know of nothing else that uses that thread. I was making an emissions sampling device of my own design, and needed to make a special fitting to be an adjustment part.

So I got the new tap, and finished the welding cart axle. Then welded it to the cart. The last step was to attach the casters to the other side of the cart. Tomorrow reassembling the welder on the cart! Then the garage cleanup is 97-98% finished. There's a drain pan full of miscellaneous odds and ends to get sorted and a few other odds and ends to get stored away. But that's just a matter of a little bit of effort.

So I have started on the T10 transmission. I just hope that I can remember what goes where...
    Gears. You're welcome.

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    Well, now I have that 5/8-11 rh tap. Next thing you know, I'll need a lh tap that size! And not have one. I got fine taps both rh and lh, including some oddball sizes, like 11/16-18. You know, like old Ford tie rod ends are threaded. And I have one for Swage Lok fittings, 9/16-18. I know of nothing else that uses that thread. I was making an emissions sampling device of my own design, and needed to make a special fitting to be an adjustment part.

So I got the new tap, and finished the welding cart axle. Then welded it to the cart. The last step was to attach the casters to the other side of the cart. Tomorrow reassembling the welder on the cart! Then the garage cleanup is 97-98% finished. There's a drain pan full of miscellaneous odds and ends to get sorted and a few other odds and ends to get stored away. But that's just a matter of a little bit of effort.

So I have started on the T10 transmission. I just hope that I can remember what goes where...

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    I usually have every tap and die EXCEPT the one I need. I feel your pain.

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    Got out to the garage today. Was going to make a new axle for the tig welder cart. Got out a piece of tubing, the set of morse taper drill, selected the correct drill size for 5/8-11 tap, put the drill in the lathe, chucked up the tubing in the lathe, and bored the ends. By god having a real lathe is the cats pajamas! It worked a treat! But I wasn't able to finish the axle.

All that above took about 10 minutes start to finish. I was in the garage for an hour! Doing what, you may ask? Looking for the tap I just knew that I had. Guess what? I don't have one! Now don't start on me and say, see you cleaned up the garage and now you can't find anything. You'd be right, except you're not! I went through everything and every tool box. Boxes, drawers, you name it, I searched it. I actually have organized stuff so well that I was able to find anything else. 5/8-18 left AND right taps! 3/4 fine AND coarse taps, both left and right. 1/2 fine AND coarse taps, same story. I guess tomorrow I'll go to Ace Hardware and get a new one!

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    Blue Canaries.....

Name:	Medical Humour.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	162.2 KB
ID:	1352313
    Now that's material for a t-shirt AND a poster.

Leave a comment:

• Captain
    replied
    Blue Canaries.....

Name:	Medical Humour.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	162.2 KB
ID:	1352313

Leave a comment:

• Captain
    replied
    I will find it Somewhere.....
    from my Hazardous Materials FD Training
    About Scene Responses and Post it Here Later...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X