Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• silver_bullet
    replied
    I really like the eggcrate, but would still back it with the mesh to protect the rad from small debris...stones, low flying birds, etc.

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    I saw an old Ferarri in a thread somewhere since I last posted. Now there's another option. A Ferarri-esque 50s eggcrate style grille.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	images.jpeg-2.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	1339379 This is a similar one I found out there in the ether. And I have some old dirt track car pictures that I forgot about with similar grille treatments.

Name:	THF108089.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	192.2 KB
ID:	1339380

Name:	THF108088.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	177.9 KB
ID:	1339382 And I'm back to the same old quandary. So many options, so confused...
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    Originally posted by dave.g.in.gansevoort View Post

Yes I did. Thanks. Just been busy with stuff and then the heat got me. My bad, not responding yet. Will get to it later...

Damn heat,, and migraines...
    Bummer. Wish I had magic.

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
    Did you get my email with info from my contact?
    Yes I did. Thanks. Just been busy with stuff and then the heat got me. My bad, not responding yet. Will get to it later...

Damn heat,, and migraines...

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    Did you get my email with info from my contact?

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    So I have been down the rabbit hole watching videos by a Canadian metalworking guy who has the name make it custom. Young guy, does really good work. But of course once you start watching it's like the old Lays potato chips commercial, no one can watch just one, paraphrasing. The problem is when you find other stuff that is interesting, at 11:30 pm and later. Like Bonnie Tyler, and her early 80's song Total Eclipse of the Heart, which leads to other MTV video music. And I was in college by then, in my late 20s and early 30s. Some of my classmates were close in age, but most went to college right out of high school, not like me, waiting 10 years and a 1st career as a millwright.

And of course I watched those videos, and many were really good. And the rabbit hole led to others like Blondie, and Aerosmith, and ZZ TOP, and well you can guess the rest. Hours later when I had my fill of the trip down nostalgia lane, it was back to metalworking videos. And I even made this, remade rather:

Name:	DSCN1786.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	221.8 KB
ID:	1339283 This is my old, very old, fiber mallet with the rawhide pucks replaced by a cut in half Harbor Fright nylon hammer that looks like the right shape for a forming hammer, and the mallet has good heft. And the sheet of high density nylon will make a nice beat on material like those videos showed. Next, a stump or something...

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    Thanks. One package would allow 4 attempts to get it right

Leave a comment:

• silver_bullet
    replied

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    Originally posted by dave.g.in.gansevoort View Post

So you're suggesting something like that bent wire mesh that was used on cars like Jag you ares, and the like. Any idea where one could procure such a mesh without 1-spending a small fortune, and 2-without stealing it off the front of said expensive, exotic automobile?

Making the nose piece without the slots, and just cutting it out to be an edge surround would certainly be a lot less effort.
    I'll get back to you. One of the guys I got MGB parts from has access.

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    Or maybe a combination. 4 big slots filled with mesh. Hmmmm

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
    I was thinking something to keep the rocks out, like 1/4" SS wire mesh. But certainly up to you!
    So you're suggesting something like that bent wire mesh that was used on cars like Jag you ares, and the like. Any idea where one could procure such a mesh without 1-spending a small fortune, and 2-without stealing it off the front of said expensive, exotic automobile?

Making the nose piece without the slots, and just cutting it out to be an edge surround would certainly be a lot less effort.

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    I was thinking something to keep the rocks out, like 1/4" SS wire mesh. But certainly up to you!

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    Well I've got pictures and something to say about them.

Name:	DSCN1783.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	208.6 KB
ID:	1339196 Made a sort of wireframe to get an idea of what the grille should look like. Ran out of welding rod after these few parts.

Name:	20230703_193933.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	192.9 KB
ID:	1339197 This is the best I'm capable of! The tape is to protect the nose from the tack welding. Blue easy to remove covered by aluminum tape where I made a couple of welds.

Watched some how to videos of a guy demonstrating all sorts of techniques for metal forming. Went down the rabbit hole as it were. But it was very informative. I'm going to give it a try, forming a sheet of aluminum to make a final grille. I've even figured out how to cut slots for airflow thru the nose. That's more up my street than the forming. Fixtured and clamped into a framework for a router to run on. Metal cutting bit, and easy peasy we got slots!

As always, comments and criticisms are welcome.

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    Okay so I'm still left speechless . It's not that I don't want to, it's just that I'm being lazy. I will say that today was an okay day. Bought a spare gas cylinder for the mig. Now I have spares for all of the gases I use...

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    The Velcro idea will work! Here's pictures, as I'm running out of charge, there will be no words.

Name:	20230628_174200.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	172.8 KB
ID:	1338881 Click image for larger version

Name:	20230628_174136.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	231.0 KB
ID:	1338882

Leave a comment:

Working...
X