Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    Cut one of the u bends in half, shortened them up a little bit, and just by chance, it looks like a good match to the curve of the turtle deck! So I made standoffs and little slugs that will weld to the frame. Removable this way. It lines up really nicely with the bottom of the turtle deck. I'll be able to incorporate rear mounts for the turtle deck into the mounts as well.

But I was getting hungry and the F1 race was getting close to the start, and I needed to get the trailer hooked up to the Blazer getting it ready to get it inspected tomorrow at 9. So not finished and no pictures...

And I just looked at Speedway's Pontiac taillights, both the full size repops and the reduced size. After the race, I'll cut out 2 each circles and see which size looks better. Both are available in LED and are flat on the back. Just 2 mounting holes and a wiring hole, which means if i drill the holes thru the turtle deck wrong, it's not a total disaster. Just drill more holes more carefully.

soon, it's coming all apart for some serious welding time. But first, I'm going to mimic Dan and make a rotisserie. There's a boatload of welding and it will definitely be easier to flip it over for the underside welds. I'm thinking that I can make a 2nd stand like my antique engine stand and that should be good.

That old stand was the first real serious welding project I ever did, way back when I was in high school. And we won't say what decade that was...

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    The kit has a door, a new surround, and hinges and a latch kit. From what I've found out so far, it will require glassing in the surround and some wooden structural members for stiffening and to attach the hinges and the latch kit. My grandfather G (who was a carpenter/cabinet maker) will probably be spinning in his grave, but I'll get by, somehow! (Back of hand to forehead)

Regarding the bumper, it's not making it with me, either. My dies bend that radius, which just looks too big for the size of the turtle deck. I'm thinking that I should make a single bar, horizontal, and put a bend around the edges of the turtle deck, also horizontally, just in line with the bottom of the turtle deck. Then a set of 50 Pontiac taillights can be set into the rear panel of the turtle deck. Speedway sells a repop set that are reduced in diameter that I think will be the right size for that panel. I'm going to cut out a pair of circles and see tomorrow.

And to make the bends in the bar, lots of cuts to get it bent tight enough, followed by lots of welding, followed by lots of grinding. Or I'll just make it from 1 inch solid bar and heat the snot out of it...

At least I have a preliminary plan to keep moving forward

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    I like the lower bumper I like to see the radius of the turtle. Maybe make the space between the bars smaller? I don't know anything about fiberglass doors. What about building some retractable steps so it's easier to climb in!

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    Originally posted by dave.g.in.gansevoort View Post

They do, but they don't seem to have a video showing how to make it work! I'm going to get the kit soon, hopefully there's some sort of instructions included.
    Surprised that nobody has made a YouTube on that installation. Yes, I hope they have directions. Pretty sure it'll have an outer frame that you 'glass into the body shell and an inner frame that you 'glass into the door along with hinges and a latch but I'm guessing.

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
    I thought Speedway offered those with a door option which means you could copy theirs. But I have a high probability of wrongness on this one.
    They do, but they don't seem to have a video showing how to make it work! I'm going to get the kit soon, hopefully there's some sort of instructions included.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X