X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    Originally posted by Russell View Post
    I have always wanted a quick change. I believe they are not the best for drag racing. So I really don't know what I would put it in theses days.
    There's probably good, better, best rear assemblies for any application. I grew up around dirt track racing, and the qc was considered to be the best due to ease of matching gearing for the track/condition that had to be adapted to. In one class way back when, a qc was not allowed, so the go to rear was a Ford 3/4 ton truck rear. 6.13 gearing or 5.80ish something ratios for our home track. Then change tires diameter to try to match conditions. My 1st car had a 57 Chevy rear, and it ran in 2nd gear to get the revs up. The Ford 9 inch was used in some cars, notably the Picture help cars driven by Gerry Chamberlain out of Pennsylvania.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220528_0004_NEW.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	299.1 KB
ID:	1326469 This car was unique, not just because of the 9-inch rear. That's independent front suspension, on dirt! You can see Buick drums, what's hard to see in the picture is what the spindles are. 60's Ford Falcon! Why not? The car was owned by a salvage yard. And the engines were big block Fords. I remember seeing both FE and 429/460 engines.

You drag racers have used many rears also. Olds/Pontiac in the early 60s, Chrysler 8 3/4, GM 12 bolt, Ford 9-inch, and so many other rears. Some were better than others.

If I were to design a new rear axle, I would have a main design criteria of minimal energy loss when picking the gear design, followed by ease of maintenance and gear changes. Then independent suspension or beam axle. Would it have plug in axles or floating hubs. And you can see I like the look of an open tube quick change rear.

Man, I can get sidetracked so easily! It's like the time with the barmaid, the Turkish towel, and the can of whipped cream... But I'm much better now!

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    I have always wanted a quick change. I believe they are not the best for drag racing. So I really don't know what I would put it in theses days.

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied

Name:	DSCN1614.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	186.3 KB
ID:	1326447 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1613.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	181.0 KB
ID:	1326448
    Sonny is growing! I drove over to Vermont today and picked up this midget quick change rear. The parts are going to define what Sonny becomes. But now, back to the garage and the whatever project !

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    Some pictures and a few words. NO REALLY, I CAN BE BRIEF!

Name:	DSCN1597.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	152.4 KB
ID:	1326397 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1596.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	170.9 KB
ID:	1326398 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1595.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	204.5 KB
ID:	1326399 Here's the Hilborn mag/fuel pump/tach drive disassembled. You MOPAR guys probably recognize the bottom of the magneto. Part of Sonny!

Name:	DSCN1602.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	221.8 KB
ID:	1326400 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1601.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	220.7 KB
ID:	1326401 Worked on x-members today on the Whatever project. I'm planning on the bottom of the x-member under the transmission to be removable. In case I have to drop the transmission from the bottom for service. It'll come out from the top, but who knows if I'd want to once assembled. Better safe than sorry.

The rear x-member has a u-shaped tube, part of the future upper blast shield, just in case the driveshaft ever does a dynamic disassembly! I'll be making a 360 degree hoop for the front of the driveshaft, which will be removable, again to get the transmission in or out. It will bolt in both top and bottom, either in one piece, or separate if only one half needs to come out to service anything.

So, moving on...

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    Son of Whatever is beyond just a glimmer in my eye! Parts are agglomerating in the garage. Tuesday is new to me quick change! So here's a brief list:
    Schroeder steering box
    Hilborn injection including the new tach/pump/magneto drive
    Front suspension components including 48 Ford F1 pickup truck spindles
    CAE in/out box
    Kirkey vintage seat
    100 feet of 1.5-0.095 dom tubing
    after Tuesday, a quick change rear, midget/sprint car type
    And lots of other neat old stuff!

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X