Capt's 2021 Indy Racer Upgrades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Capt's 2021 Indy Racer Upgrades

After chasing pin hole leaks in the radiator all last year, pulled the radiator out of the car.

This is a True Bolt Together Tank Style Radiator.
    And with a Suggestion of Origin from a Pipeliner Friend, its from a WW2 era Hobart Welder.

Click image for larger version

Name:	generator-hollywood-fl2.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	1288732

​​​​​​After getting it out, started the disassembly.
    Now I bought this radiator at a swap meet 15+ years ago, and it was for another project that never got started.
    So when I pulled the top tank off, it was Surprise City of ALL the Sluge and Gunk in it.
    Now I will admit that some of it was the Stop Leak I used a 3 occasions to get it back home.

But now we know what caused some of the Over Heating Issues, especially in city, rush hour traffic.

Name:	KIMG1949.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	805.5 KB
ID:	1288733

So there is some almost 80 years of "Stuff, spelled Shit !" In there !! This is the bottom tank.

Name:	KIMG1950.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	739.7 KB
ID:	1288734
    So a new core is going to be made, and in 2-3 weeks, it will be here, this will give me time to clean up the top and bottom tanks.

A week ago, the new core came in.

1st it got heat dissipating flat black paint on the Engine side.

Next Day, the front side got industrial red paint,
    Then it sat for a week for these paints to cure.

Comment

Now, I made a "Mask" for the No. 7, which is painted on Bright White.

Name:	IMG_20210402_100029.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	1291558

Name:	KIMG2063.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	1.45 MB
ID:	1291559

Name:	KIMG2064.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	1291560
      ​​​​​

Comment

After letting that cure for a day, started reassembly. Previously cleaned up the top and bottom tanks while waiting for the new core, also cleaned up the original nuts and bolts that didn't "Snap Off" on disassembly. I still wanted the Old Bolt Patina.

Name:	KIMG2067.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	761.7 KB
ID:	1291564

Comment

Had some sand off touch ups where the Tinning on the matching surfaces meet. (Pix previous post).

​​​​​​Then opted to use just black Sealant instead of trying to cut new gaskets.

Name:	KIMG2073.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	741.2 KB
ID:	1291566
          cleaned up the excess sealant at the mating surfaces the next day, and the reinstallation went Way Better than the removal. I reattached many of the wiring, lower hose, and fan shroud while the Radiator was tipped forward. This abated the blood letting of reaching in around the frame, fan, and other nasty sharp edges.

Name:	IMG_20210405_162302.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	833.6 KB
ID:	1291567
          With the weather in the High Seventies, and the rain predicted wasn't anywhere in sight, went for a Test Drive and get some Fresh Gas.

Comment

Test Drive Data........

Even after a long warm up, while looking for leaks, checking out all the lights, etc.
            It ran very cool almost cold on the 5 miles to town and the gas station, 140 !!

With some fresh gas, took a longer back roads route back, and "Got On It" to pull some load and work on it. And it finally came up to running temp.

Temps, when I got back using a infrared heat gun.

Top Tank, 190
            Bottom Tank, 156
            Top of Head Front, 187
            Top of Head Back, 178
            Middle of Block, 170
            Now here's where this engine is Funky,
            rear of Block by the Temp Sending Unit.
            Rear of Block below head, 165

So all this time, I thought my dash temp gauge was running LOW, actually it's only about 5 off!

Comment

So now we have to get the electricity back on in our alternate world! You're back up and running, and looking good...

Comment

Working...
              X