Capt's 2021 Indy Racer Upgrades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Capt's 2021 Indy Racer Upgrades

After chasing pin hole leaks in the radiator all last year, pulled the radiator out of the car.

This is a True Bolt Together Tank Style Radiator.
    And with a Suggestion of Origin from a Pipeliner Friend, its from a WW2 era Hobart Welder.

Click image for larger version

Name:	generator-hollywood-fl2.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	1288732

​​​​​​After getting it out, started the disassembly.
    Now I bought this radiator at a swap meet 15+ years ago, and it was for another project that never got started.
    So when I pulled the top tank off, it was Surprise City of ALL the Sluge and Gunk in it.
    Now I will admit that some of it was the Stop Leak I used a 3 occasions to get it back home.

But now we know what caused some of the Over Heating Issues, especially in city, rush hour traffic.

Name:	KIMG1949.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	805.5 KB
ID:	1288733

So there is some almost 80 years of "Stuff, spelled Shit !" In there !! This is the bottom tank.

Name:	KIMG1950.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	739.7 KB
ID:	1288734
    So a new core is going to be made, and in 2-3 weeks, it will be here, this will give me time to clean up the top and bottom tanks.

A week ago, the new core came in.

1st it got heat dissipating flat black paint on the Engine side.

Next Day, the front side got industrial red paint,
    Then it sat for a week for these paints to cure.

Comment

Now, I made a "Mask" for the No. 7, which is painted on Bright White.

Name:	IMG_20210402_100029.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	1291558

Name:	KIMG2063.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	1.45 MB
ID:	1291559

Name:	KIMG2064.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	1291560
      ​​​​​

Comment

After letting that cure for a day, started reassembly. Previously cleaned up the top and bottom tanks while waiting for the new core, also cleaned up the original nuts and bolts that didn't "Snap Off" on disassembly. I still wanted the Old Bolt Patina.

Name:	KIMG2067.jpg
Size:	761.7 KB
ID:	1291564

Comment

Had some sand off touch ups where the Tinning on the matching surfaces meet. (Pix previous post).

​​​​​​Then opted to use just black Sealant instead of trying to cut new gaskets.

Name:	KIMG2073.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	741.2 KB
ID:	1291566
          cleaned up the excess sealant at the mating surfaces the next day, and the reinstallation went Way Better than the removal. I reattached many of the wiring, lower hose, and fan shroud while the Radiator was tipped forward. This abated the blood letting of reaching in around the frame, fan, and other nasty sharp edges.

Name:	IMG_20210405_162302.jpg
Size:	833.6 KB
ID:	1291567
          With the weather in the High Seventies, and the rain predicted wasn't anywhere in sight, went for a Test Drive and get some Fresh Gas.

Comment

Test Drive Data........

Even after a long warm up, while looking for leaks, checking out all the lights, etc.
            It ran very cool almost cold on the 5 miles to town and the gas station, 140° !!

With some fresh gas, took a longer back roads route back, and "Got On It" to pull some load and work on it. And it finally came up to running temp.

Temps, when I got back using a infrared heat gun.

Top Tank, 190°
            Bottom Tank, 156°
            Top of Head Front, 187°
            Top of Head Back, 178°
            Middle of Block, 170°
            Now here's where this engine is Funky,
            rear of Block by the Temp Sending Unit.
            Rear of Block below head, 165°

So all this time, I thought my dash temp gauge was running LOW, actually it's only about 5° off!

Comment

So now we have to get the electricity back on in our alternate world! You're back up and running, and looking good...

Comment

Next of the upgrades......
                Found two different axle ratio pumpkin replacements.

First was a sad story of Dealing with a Junkyard over the Phone/Internet. Was to be a 3:42/1. Invoice says 3;42/1
                in the REAL LOUSY box they shipped it in, (Surprised USPS Took it).......It was another 3.07/1 Diff !!!
                When I called to say it was the wrong ratio, they said "You are Trying to send us the your old one Back !!!"
                I said it has your Yard Pen Markings on it......Well I'm $325.00 Light...... Wasn't worth the freight back to fight them.

Second FIND, turned out Great !
                A 3:90/1 out of Florida, A Girl Off Roader was swapping to 4:11/1's in her rig and had the 390/1'S on Flea Bay.
                EXCELLENT Packaging, (I tipped my postal person for the 2nd HEAVY BOX in 3 weeks).
                And the Differential Swap began.

Pulled the axles, after clearing off the rear on the Indy Racer.

Click image for larger version  Name:	1618333321882.jpg Views:	0 Size:	41.3 KB ID:	1292461Click image for larger version  Name:	1618591956878.jpg Views:	0 Size:	33.7 KB ID:	1292462

And found this on the Trailing Shoe on left brake shoe !! (Only 2,650 miles on the project)
                So add a set of shoes to the cost of this swap......

Last edited by Captain; April 20, 2021, 06:37 AM.

Comment

Toyota has this Unique Outboard Bearing, Outside seal, Sealed Axle Bearing, Lock Collar/Inner Seal Race,AND a SNAP Ring !!
                  Axle tube has Inner Seal, and a Oring at the 4 Bolt Mounting Flange !!!
                  They REALLY don't water coming in OR Oil Coming OUT and REALLY don't want that axle walking out with a Pressed On Lock Ring
                  and Snap Ring Too !!
                  First I cut the old lock ring, Hit it with a chizzel to crack it, then it's a easy off.

Name:	KIMG2090.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	785.4 KB
ID:	1292476
                  Then used the ARMSTRONG Press to knock the axle bearing off.
                  Yes I used a piece of Brass Flat Stock on the spline'd end before using the 8# modifier.

Name:	KIMG2091.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	728.3 KB
ID:	1292477

And reassembled in same fashion using two different size pipes.
                  (Yes I have a Actual Press, but using the pipes I have exceeds the Reach of the Press Table)
                  Heating the Lock Ring aids the installation..

After having it together, replaced shoe on left side, fresh gear oil.......
                  Went for a Test Drive.......
                  EXCELLENT !!! Whole new Power Band, NICE in town rpm in 3rd @ 25 MPH , No @ Stall RPM, Way BETTER Acceleration......
                  AND Still have PLENTY of Room on the Top End in 5th, and a nice RPM at 70+ MPH.

And did have to go two gear teeth up on the Speedometer Drive to correct the Speedometer.
                  And it's Dam close too the GPS MPH. The old MPH was Way Off Low on the 3:07/1 with the lowest gear available
                  So this is a Win Win senario.

Down Side .........
                  On a Fun Ride Sunday, on the way back, I Had speckles on the Brookland Windscreens...
                  Coolant started seeping.....
                  My Rusty Iron Friend Peggy finally found it. using torn into strips "McDonald Napkins"
                  wrapping around everything starting at the firewall forward, and Presto !!!! There it is,
                  a Brass Steel Elbow Bearly showing any leak at the Threads on the very rear of the intake.

I just parked back in the barn, Will look at it when I get Back from the Jefferson Swap Meet.......

Update you all on this later.......

Comment

I love it Captain, or do we need to start to call you "Professor Fate"? I'm starting to picture you with a handlebar mustache, and a felt top hat! And I know Dan S is up for Maximillion Meen. Now the question is,which one of the rest of us is the Great Leslie.

And a second note, I'm thinking that the Whatever could become a touring car... Well if I bought a 2nd t bucket (that's not going to happen...) Oh well, someone else gets to be the Great Leslie. Besides I'm bald. I'd be able to be Hezekiah Sturdy
                    Last edited by dave.g.in.gansevoort; April 22, 2021, 02:55 PM.

Comment

I Have the same Hair Dresser as Hezekiah..........
                      The Indy Racer has been called the Chitty Chitty Bang Bang car by some before......
                      I guess I AM really more of a Caractacus Potts type guy.........

Comment

At least we're not making flying machines. Picture Gert Frobe (Goldfinger) as the German officer who's going to try to fly...

Comment

Coolant Leak ......
                          The seeping leak was a Cracked Brass Street Elbow Fitting.
                          Sure enough it finished breaking off while try to remove the heater hoses.
                          So get the EZ Out and remove the Piece in the Intake Manifold. Funny how they ALWAYS BREAK OFF FLUSH, eh?
                          That piece was really in tight, but did come out, so my thinking is that I might NOT have been All Vibration. I Over Tightened it on the build.
                          Ya Know plumbing fittings.....Oh Yeah I can Get One More Turn out of it so it Lines Up..........
                          But I did install another support bracket near the heater cutout valves anyway.
                          Late this afternoon, so the Sealant had 24 hours to cure, will refill the system and check for leaks.

Cutting it Close......Leaving for Torque Fest Thursday afternoon !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Captain View Post
                            Coolant Leak ......
                            The seeping leak was a Cracked Brass Street Elbow Fitting.
                            Sure enough it finished breaking off while try to remove the heater hoses.
                            So get the EZ Out and remove the Piece in the Intake Manifold. Funny how they ALWAYS BREAK OFF FLUSH, eh?
                            That piece was really in tight, but did come out, so my thinking is that I might NOT have been All Vibration. I Over Tightened it on the build.
                            Ya Know plumbing fittings.....Oh Yeah I can Get One More Turn out of it so it Lines Up..........
                            But I did install another support bracket near the heater cutout valves anyway.
                            Late this afternoon, so the Sealant had 24 hours to cure, will refill the system and check for leaks.

Cutting it Close......Leaving for Torque Fest Thursday afternoon !!!
                            Hot tip - If you have a Parker or Swagelok dealer in your neck of the woods (or you can order them online) you can get pretty much any brass-type fitting in SS from these sources - just be sure not to screw SS into SS if you ever want to get that joint apart again as they REALLY gall. But into steel, cast iron, or aluminum they're great and durable.

Dan

Comment

As in another post here, went to Torque Fest.
                              Normally I would have drove down, but I also brought my "Fat Bob Minnie Me"

Click image for larger version  Name:	z160.JPG Views:	0 Size:	938.2 KB ID:	1293440
                              So I trailered it down with the Marrakesh Express

Click image for larger version  Name:	KIMG2119.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1,023.1 KB ID:	1293441

Leak Repair Held, New Axle ratio made "Parading In' at the start of each day Way Better without riding the Clutch....
                              And the Ratio was Good on the Track !! Maybe a 4:11 would be the ultimate Track Ratio, but this is a Long Hauler too.
                              Had a HOOT circling the Dirt Track, even in the very limited 2 times around!! Click image for larger version  Name:	image000000_13.jpg Views:	0 Size:	82.1 KB ID:	1293442
                              So, all is running GREAT. (Except for the Obvious Rat Rod drips and asphalt witness marks)
                              Last edited by Captain; May 6, 2021, 05:46 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X