No announcement yet.

Capt's 2021 Indy Racer Upgrades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's 3 weeks to the day getting back from the Concours d'Lemons Adventure Trip.

Fixed/Worked on 3 other of my own vehicles (2 in separate posts), plus a couple of riding mowers for the neighbors they Just Show Up With, "Hey, it just stopped cutting all of a sudden".....
    Ray Charles could SEE the deck belt is broke and gone !!
    And another......Safety Switch clogged up with Grass clippings......

​​​​​​​SO I finally had time to Get at the Punch Card of repairs on the Indy Racer, from the Trip.

Comment

First was, GET the RIGHT spark plugs !!
      My Parts House Guys are letting me down here, real regular lately....(more later in this post)
      The Plugs installed just before leaving, were one number, (in trip posts, one failed), and I later bought a Back up Set to take along, were a DIFFERENT Number !!
      SO, I did my own homework, and had the ORIGINAL Autolite part number, upgraded it to current number, and wasn't close to what was sold both times. I bought 2 sets.

Next, replaced the Cardone Distributor with the NOS unit found on FleaBay. This Cardone unit was a "Best Made In China" distributor, and the shaft bearings only lasted 1,986 miles.......our wandering point gap was .005+ play in the shaft. (Might be .010 as was reading on dial indicator from one side)
      ​​​​​​

Comment

Then onto Our High Road Speed stumble.
        Started with the Fuel Filter(s)
        The main filter was replaced between Detroit and Ludington, Michigan.
        Checked it again, no restrictions, and nothing on the paper towel when blown thru.
        Pulled the filter off the Fuel Pump, again no restrictions, and only a slight amount of residue on paper towel when blown thru. (This filter has never been off since build)

Bought a Fuel Pressure Gauge, installed it on Fuel Regulator.....
        Now from Clifford Intake Systems, it was Stated, "Fuel Pressure has been set at OUR SHOP, No Adjustments Needed !"
        As in post of trip, flow wasn't spectacular, and turned the regulator stud in a 1/8 turn.
        We were running on just about Gravity Feed!
        I had to make several turns to bring the Fuel Pressure to the Weber recommended 2+ psi but under 3 1/2 psi.

Also replaced the front carb fuel line from the regulator. Had a weeping leak at fitting that tightening wasn't curing. Bad ferrel.

Will have to road test this again later, have relatives over to Visit.....
        Last edited by Captain; August 18, 2021, 07:29 AM.

Comment

Sounds like fun to me !

Comment

Last, was starting to have a lifter "Click".
            Went to adjust hydraulic lifters, 2 of the studs self locking nuts where "Butter Loose".

Here again, my local parts house guys let me Down.......Ordered a set of 12 on August 3rd, said, "Yep, have them in main warehouse, be a Day to Get them here"
            A week later, Called, what's going on with the lifter stand nuts?......."Let Me Check......
            Oh, I don't see the Order in the system, I will look, and reorder them if I have too"
            Another Week, "Found your lifter nuts, they were shipped to the Machine Shop, Monday they will be sent to our Store, pick them up Tuesday (yesterday).......
            Stop at Parts House Yesterday, "They are Getting Closer.......They were sent to our Pardeeville Parts House.....Sorry About That, have them here late tomorrow"....

When I pick them up,
            I'm going tell them that my NEW Parts Guy is "Jason" he is the UPS Driver, I will order stuff online from now on, and "Jason" will save me the Trip to town, and bring them right to my Place !!

Comment

Originally posted by Captain View Post
              Last, was starting to have a lifter "Click".
              Went to adjust hydraulic lifters, 2 of the studs self locking nuts where "Butter Loose".

Here again, my local parts house guys let me Down.......Ordered a set of 12 on August 3rd, said, "Yep, have them in main warehouse, be a Day to Get them here"
              A week later, Called, what's going on with the lifter stand nuts?......."Let Me Check......
              Oh, I don't see the Order in the system, I will look, and reorder them if I have too"
              Another Week, "Found your lifter nuts, they were shipped to the Machine Shop, Monday they will be sent to our Store, pick them up Tuesday (yesterday).......
              Stop at Parts House Yesterday, "They are Getting Closer.......They were sent to our Pardeeville Parts House.....Sorry About That, have them here late tomorrow"....

When I pick them up,
              I'm going tell them that my NEW Parts Guy is "Jason" he is the UPS Driver, I will order stuff online from now on, and "Jason" will save me the Trip to town, and bring them right to my Place !!
              I love ordering parts online but sometimes feel guilty for not supporting the local parts guys . Ordering online is just too damn convenient and time saving. It may take a couple of days to get your order but that’s the price you pay . A friend was looking for brake drums for his daily and a local guy told him that they were not available. Rockauto delivered a pair in 3 days and cheap .

Comment

Originally posted by langleylad View Post

I love ordering parts online but sometimes feel guilty for not supporting the local parts guys . Ordering online is just too damn convenient and time saving. It may take a couple of days to get your order but that’s the price you pay . A friend was looking for brake drums for his daily and a local guy told him that they were not available. Rockauto delivered a pair in 3 days and cheap .
                Your in My Camp.
                I ALWAYS Shop Local First ! And understand that I might have to wait a Day or Two to get it from their main warehouse.........
                As I'm always looking for parts for Older vehicles.
                My Gripe is....Get me the Right Stuff......And when you say it will be here tomorrow after 10:00 am,
                I live out of Town, so its a hour plus shot going in to find out your stuff is Wrong or Not There.....
                And I could call but you get the Robo Voice, "wait for the next available Sales Person" and listen to Otis and the Elevator Band
                for 5-10 mins, and then that person who answers says,....can you hold?....and more of the Funky Get Down Band music.
                And this is Not a Big Box Parts House........

Enough of me venting.......
                I'm off to my shop, too see if those lifter stand nuts are the right ones......these look awful small .......

Comment

Keep after it, Captain. Remember, we're all pulling for you. And duct tape, lots of duct tape. The handymans secret weapon.

Comment

Sure enough,........
                    wrong size nuts !!!!
                    Called, Ordered by SIZE and THREAD COUNT.....
                    Being Thursday, earliest will be Monday to see them.....Maybe.......

Comment

Without the NEW Lifter Stand Nuts Yet,
                      Took the Indy Racer into town this morning for the Grocery Run....(hey!! I do eat the right things from time to time....this belly isn't all Big Mac's and Beer!!)
                      I had to move it out of the shop to get another project into the stall, so why not?

Even though a short 15 mile ride, ran out NICE, No More of that "Flat burrapp" at the higher RPM range....Actually it has a "Quite-r" sounding exhaust tone through the entire RPM range, like a fine Tuned Jaguar.
                      "Noise DOES NOT Equal Power!"
                      Last edited by Captain; August 22, 2021, 09:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain View Post
                        Without the NEW Lifter Stand Nuts Yet,
                        Took the Indy Racer into town this morning for the Grocery Run....(hey!! I do eat the right things from time to time....this belly isn't all Big Mac's and Beer!!)
                        I had to move it out of the shop to get another project into the stall, so why not?

Even though a short 15 mile ride, ran out NICE, No More of that "Flat burrapp" at the higher RPM range....Actually it has a "Quite-r" sounding exhaust tone through the entire RPM range, like a fine Tuned Jaguar.
                        "Noise DOES NOT Equal Power!"
                        There are actually cams for Harleys that are geared toward NOISE vs POWER..
                        Was map reader, director for a buddy wanting a Harley, I thought it was cool feeling. He blipped throttle a few times and we left.
                        Asked him why, said it was for sound.
                        his eventual bike brought it clear to me.

Comment

Working...
                        X