1987 Mazda B2000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1987 Mazda B2000

So, my daughter picked this up from Jim a while back, and, unfortunately, it has was plagued with issues and we only got about 2k good miles out of it. To be clear, I am not upset about the purchase, things worked out and now the truck is mine and I have been working on it little by little. It blew a head gasket. So I pulled the head and found it was warped AND cracked. So I ordered up a new one along with a radiator and a water pump.

Installed all of this along with a new belt and I just could not get it to run right. I suspected it was the "electronic carb". These carbs are the bane of anyone who owns a Mazda of this vintage. Typically they swap it out with a Webber 32/36. I followed suit while replacing the coil, the wires, plugs rotor, and cap.

Now, the darn thing runs like a top...sort of. It will idle fine except when it doesn't. It will also cruise down the road at 65 mph. That's it, 65...no faster. I've played with timing, checked to make sure the belt did not slip. Tripple checked valve lash. Plugged every possible vacuum leak source and sacrificed a chicken. Still, 65 mph is all she has in her. A compression test shows about 150 in all 4 holes so, I think we are okay there. It's as if it is not getting enough fuel...so I started digging on the intrawebs.

So what's a guy to do? I played with the car adjustments and it finally donned on me. She is not getting enough fuel. Some of the guys have had to up-jet quite a bit while others have not had any issues with these carbs right out of the box. I noted that the idle adjustment is only about 1/4 turn out for it to idle best. This indicated to me that at a minimum I need to step up the idle circuit. I am at 3000+ feet as well.

Also, just to be safe I got a little fuel pressure regulator. These carbs do not like anything more than 3.5 psi so, I'm going to rule that out before I swap any jets. I did order a full set of jets from redline tho because if I didn't I will end up need them.

With gas prices creeping ever so quickly to the $3 mark I decided to make this my DD. A buddy and I are planning on shooting a coat of silver on it and I got my eyes on a set of wheels once I get it running right. I may just toss on a Chineseum header for shits and grins as well.

I'll update what I figure out allong the way.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

I have done Weber Swap on a 1987 Samurai.
    Go a Jet Size Up Minimum. AND LIKE THEY SAY DOCUMENT Everything, How screws Turned, Idle, Idle Jet, Main Jet .....
    They ALL Play WELL together if you DON'T Over Do One for the Other.....
    Also I did Open Up the Intake Manifold to match the Carb Throttle Bores, and while at it matched the Intake to Head Opening's.

Once Tuned In.....It's Game On !!

Comment

Well, I did some reading on these carbs and I see that my main idle jet was too big. The idle adjustment screw was only 1/4 turn out. So I stepped it down and it fires right up and then idles pretty well once it warms up. Then it doesn't. It seems to me that it is loading up and flooding. If I blip the throttle it will go back into a nice idle, like an old Harley. I suspect I need to tweak the float levels a bit. The idle jet is the smallest I can get. The primary jet is the biggest they make. I can get it up to about 65mph...but it's so slow I run out of room. however, as it sits I could easily drive it around town but its ability to keep up with traffic on the highway is debatable.

man, I would love to find a cheap SBC or SBF to swap in...that'd be a hoot.
      If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Toronado transaxle?
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
          Toronado transaxle?
          Already beed done!

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY View Post

Already beed done!
            then go bigger with El Dorado 500 ci...
            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

LS4 front and back!

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
              1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
              ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Russell View Post
                LS4 front and back!
                push-me-pull-me!

Comment

Working...
                X