X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bonding is good!

Dan

Comment

Some progress.....after losing 2 weeks to a Sinus Headache and Cold.
      The rear inside panel boards were really beat up.

Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG2649.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	718.4 KB
ID:	1310373

originally I was going to black vinyl cover the 1/4" cabinet plywood left over from a old project.
      I did not keep the speaker and ashtray openings.
      Then after copying and cutting out the two pieces......the Lightbulb came on to Stain and Polyurethane them.

Name:	KIMG2648.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	721.1 KB
ID:	1310374

Then today is Wednesday, and my Farm Girl "HausFrau", when he was done cleaning the house, helped me get the left rear fender skin Glued On!
      Being the First Time I have ever Bond Glued any auto body panels, I think I used every larger clamp in the shop.

Name:	KIMG2650.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	738.9 KB
ID:	1310375Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG2651.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	749.2 KB
ID:	1310376

Sorry I didn't get any pictures of Heather while we were doing this, but My Brain was On Getting it on without SCREWING UP !!

Comment

Your brain was wrong on both accounts . We do like the Sammy though .
        Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Barlow View Post
          Your brain was wrong on both accounts . We do like the Sammy though .
          LOL........
          Tunnel Vision struck again........
          Normal is a acronym for "A Boring Person, lacking any Imagination"....i.e.. accountants

Comment

Pulled the clamps off. That fender skin is ON ROCK SOLID. Next is cleaning off the little bit of "Squeeze Out" in a couple of places, and then skin coat some bondo at the edge by the left door and rear door to conceal the metal edge.

Name:	KIMG2658.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	715.0 KB
ID:	1310481

Next was to address the Rocker Panel Rubber Molding bracket. The top of the bracket mostly had rusted away.
            Chiseled what was left of the tin bracket, and Ground off the spot welds.
            Then cut up a old cabinet to make some new upper brackets. (Unashamed to where I get the thickness and temper of metal I need).

Name:	KIMG2646.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	710.9 KB
ID:	1310482

Using my "Harbor Freight" Bead Roller, put a 1/8" offset on the top edge for the lip of the rubber moulding to set in.
            Here's a pix of the fit up.

Name:	KIMG2656.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	730.3 KB
ID:	1310483

Here's how the Rubber Rocker Molding fits.

Name:	KIMG2657.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	754.1 KB
ID:	1310484

Then under coated everything on final assembly. And called it a Day.
            Had to go plug the heater on the Tractor, and get ready for the First Real Winter Storm coming thru tonight.

Name:	KIMG2659.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	650.1 KB
ID:	1310485

Comment

Adhesive bonding of body panels is a Good Thing! Works great and doesn't warp sheet metal. I have the Fusor system.

Dan

Comment

Next was to attach the fender lip bracket.
                test fitted, drilled 3 pop rivet holes as locators. Put the "2 Part" goop on...

Name:	KIMG2660.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	738.6 KB
ID:	1310669

both sides, and spread it out heavy paint thin......

Name:	KIMG2661.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	685.2 KB
ID:	1310670

Then put 2 beads on the fender skin,
                pop riveted the 3 locators, and clamped watching for Good Squeeze Out in the fender side for a Water (rust) tight seal.

Name:	KIMG2663.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	736.8 KB
ID:	1310671

Comment

With our Family Christmas here on the 19th, Thank God they All went home.
                  I now had some free time to get at the Timber Cruiser again.

Bondo on the matching edges.

Click image for larger version  Name:	KIMG2673.jpg Views:	0 Size:	722.1 KB ID:	1311171Click image for larger version  Name:	KIMG2672.jpg Views:	0 Size:	724.6 KB ID:	1311172

I'm not a body man, but did it in 2 skin coats of Bondo. Also touched up a couple clamp "Hickies".

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20211225_155203.jpg Views:	0 Size:	672.7 KB ID:	1311173

have a little touch up sanding by the upper corner, and light sand a "Fuzz Spot" in the primer. Note to self, DON'T LEAVE SHOP RAGS Hanging Out of Your Back Pockets while painting !

Name:	IMG_20211225_155239.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	0
ID:	1311175
                  Last edited by Captain; December 26, 2021, 08:30 AM.

Comment

Having issues getting the last picture to go thru.

Take Two

Name:	IMG_20211225_155239.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	732.6 KB
ID:	1311177

Comment

Also sealed up the rear inner fenders where they meet the outter fender skin.
                      I used Boat Fiberglass and mesh.
                      This is NOT a Restoration !! I'm just Extending the Service Life of my Exploring Rig!

Name:	KIMG2681.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	723.8 KB
ID:	1311179

Then sprayed Truck Bed Liner two coats.
                      Hopefully this will hold for another 5-6 years.

Name:	KIMG2682.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	703.7 KB
ID:	1311180Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG2683.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	708.9 KB
ID:	1311181

Comment

That ought to work just fine.

Dan

Comment

Your making me want a sammy .
                          Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Work has been progressing on the Timber Cruiser. Didn't take pix of little improvements, like a better rear door restraining strap, instead of the tiny OEM cable, and covers made where the seat belt retractors were. (Reason following)

I'm like a Absent Minded Professor, or as it's Now Called ADD, OCD, PTSD, and the rest of the alphabet.......
                            Several years ago at a Swap Meet, I bought NIB 4 Point harnesses for the Timber Cruiser. They were out of the Date Stamp Cert for some classes of Racing.
                            Forgot all about them, found them when looking for some Jeep parts for my son Shaun.
                            So, Now is the time to install them !!
                            Open the boxes like a kid at Christmas...
                            Find out, Same Mfr. But two different styles!
                            One is a single bolt mount on the shoulder belts.

Name:	KIMG2688.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	846.5 KB
ID:	1311839

​​​​​​Well, I decided to put that set on the Jump Seat Side so maybe it will give the Spotter a little better movement while navigating our eventual death.....LOL

Now, had to add a cross bar in the roll bar for the Shoulder belts. In go the seats again to get the location and angle. Here's the mock up.

Name:	KIMG2689.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	717.4 KB
ID:	1311840

then pull the roll bar out, and weld the cross bar in, back in to Mark Shoulder belts bolts, out it comes, drill holes, clean up my welds and paint.

Name:	IMG_20211228_142445.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	735.4 KB
ID:	1311841

Name:	KIMG2691.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	690.0 KB
ID:	1311842
                            ​​​​​​

Comment

Then between other projects, finished putting up the Yooper Paint Booth.

Name:	KIMG2693.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	693.8 KB
ID:	1311846

After giving the Timber Cruiser a serious cleaning for Paint, moved it into the Paint Booth. Hoping to start the 3 color Camo tomorrow as today is filled with life's other things, dump run, supplies run, and it's to warm up in to the High 20's from the subzero temps, so now I will fire up the Tractor and finally plow out the driveway and between the buildings.

Name:	KIMG2695.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	698.3 KB
ID:	1311847

​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Captain View Post
                                Work has been progressing on the Timber Cruiser. Didn't take pix of little improvements, like a better rear door restraining strap, instead of the tiny OEM cable, and covers made where the seat belt retractors were. (Reason following)

I'm like a Absent Minded Professor, or as it's Now Called ADD, OCD, PTSD, and the rest of the alphabet.......
                                Several years ago at a Swap Meet, I bought NIB 4 Point harnesses for the Timber Cruiser. They were out of the Date Stamp Cert for some classes of Racing.
                                Forgot all about them, found them when looking for some Jeep parts for my son Shaun.
                                So, Now is the time to install them !!
                                Open the boxes like a kid at Christmas...
                                Find out, Same Mfr. But two different styles!
                                One is a single bolt mount on the shoulder belts.
                                An FYI - The belts with a single bolt, you can weld a bolt to the cage centered on the seat back and bolt it down with a nylox of the ol' double nut trick. You can weld the bolt w/threads pointing up or toward the back which will allow the belt to wrap nicely around the shoulder bar and spreads the force around the bar a bit. Here's the best pic I have of the single bolt system from Stanger - hope you can see it. What we did here was machine a block of steel with the curve of the bar then TIG it on and run a bolt thru the block but a bolt head welded to the tube should be fine, too.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0763.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	880.2 KB ID:	1311858

The belt w/2 loops doesn't need a bolt at all - just pull the webbing thru the bolt fittings then loop the belts directly around the shoulder bar and thread the belts back thru the adjuster as they currecntly are (from the pic they seem to be threaded correctly). Here's how mine look though my seat-to-cab rear is really tight. These pass LSR inspection, BTW. When I'm belted in the belts do not hit the metal of the seat back and have a slight downward pull on the shoulders which is what you want. Your shoulder bar looks to be positioned well.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0252.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	917.4 KB ID:	1311857

If you want newer old belts us LSR guys can fix you right up. We're tossing them every 5 years. Let me know what you need.

Dan
                                Last edited by DanStokes; January 8, 2022, 03:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X