brotherGood and the 1969 Olds 442

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brotherGood and the 1969 Olds 442

So, anyone who knows me whether it be in person or through multiple forums/social media platforms know I am a Mopar guy first and foremost. Right, wrong, or indifferent, that's what I prefer..its what I wrench on and drive daily, etc. All that being said, most don't know I actually started with Oldsmobiles. Growing up, we were an Oldsmobile household. My first car was a '78 Delta 88 that was a piece (for lack of better terms). The seats were barely bolted to the floor (thanks rust) and the exhaust had more holes in it than a cheese grater. My favorite memories of that car generally involved tossing the keys at the passenger while driving down the highway because the ignition tumbler was that worn out.

I had long said if I were to go out and intentionally buy anything non-Mopar (to keep) it'd be a 442. My Dad's first car was a 65. My Grandpa had a 442 W-30 that oldheads around here still talk about, 40+ years later. My uncle had that car about 15-20 years ago, but it was rotted out pretty bad and he sold it. Knowing that car was long gone, I figured it'd be a pipe dream at best.

..until I got my most recent job.

One of the owners of the company I work for was talking to me about cars one day, and just casually dropped he had a '69 442 numbers matching car in one of his barns
    He told me he'd not touched it in at least 10 years, and wasn't even sure if the engine was still good as he left it on a pallet outside. He pulled it with every intention of stuffing a Chevy 454 on it, yet the crate 454 has been in the warehouse at work since he ordered it. Finally, about 2 years ago he said he was ready to move the car as he'd never get around to doing anything with it. From then on, I pressed him hard to let me get it back together so someone who cared for it would be able to enjoy it. Once I sold my Dodge, the conversation shifted more aggressively to being simply "when are you dropping the Olds off so I can get it sold for you"

Finally in late March, he told me to come get the engine to tear it apart. If it was usable, then get it rebuilt and installed as he's realized I'm serious about making it happen. When we go pick the engine up, that's when I get my first look and the realization that he's sitting on something special. The next day, we start talking a bit about the potential of my buying the car, and he said he'd think about it while on vacation for 2 weeks..the longest 2 weeks of my life it seemed.

Finally, he gets back and while I'm feeling sick as I'd found a cracked cylinder wall in the original 400, I'm also determined to buy it as its 1 of (at most) 2,495. Being a Fremont car, that number could be less but I'm not sure how to find it.

After agreeing on Monday to buying it, it gets delivered Sunday morning and out comes the power washer to get a good look at what we've got. The extraction process was literally like something out of the articles I'd read as a kid about "barn finds"..and I still cannot believe I have one of those examples.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210502_114219_554.jpg
Views:	447
Size:	673.1 KB
ID:	1294777

As it sits now, we have pulled 4 mice out (literally just bones of mice), have replaced the 1 dryrotted tire, pulled the tank and will be replacing the fuel/brake systems as well as installing new shocks. I have 4 weeks until the engine is being worked on, at which point will determine if I can save the car or it becomes another project.

As I said, the amount of family history with Oldsmobiles, and 442s is enough to make me happy. Knowing I'm fortunate enough to have found a car that is similar circumstances to what O used to read about as a kid, holy cow. The icing on the cake, is the excitement my wife and 3 year old daughter have shown so far. I cannot wait to get this car back on the road, with my family cruising around with me, enjoying the fact that I am now the 3rd generation to have a 442.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20210502_135150.jpg
Views:	412
Size:	667.2 KB
ID:	1294778​​​​​​​
    It may not be a Mopar, but its every bit as special to me..
    '69 Oldsmobile 442
    '18 Jeep Grand Cherokee (wife's vehicle)
    '20 Ram 1500 BigHorn (my daily)

Cool that it's a pillar coupe. The vast majority of these (as far as I've been able to determine) were hardtops with a sprinkling of convertibles. There has to be a 455 with your name on it somewhere.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
      Cool that it's a pillar coupe. The vast majority of these (as far as I've been able to determine) were hardtops with a sprinkling of convertibles. There has to be a 455 with your name on it somewhere.

Dan
      If the original 400 can't be saved, that'll most likely be the route I take. I've got 4 weeks left in my wait at the machine shop..so we shall see.
      '69 Oldsmobile 442

Comment

Love it! a college buddy had a special love for 442s, and olds in general, we built a few 425s back in the day, and he was collecting "Lux-o-barges" to pluck the 455/TH400 out of for years. Sadly when the 2008 recession killed the economy, he lost the business, land, and had to sell just about everything, including a pile of mondello parts.
        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Cool!
          I'm subscribed.
          Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
          HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

I'll be watching also. I took my driver's test in a friend's 69 442 convert with a 455. He was the head of the Pittsfield Registry of Motor Vehicles and had been a cop his whole adult life, so he was able to get whatever the police package was on top of the 442 package. That mother was a beast in its day. What a carfor a driver's test!

Comment

Not much in the way of an update, but we did get some wrenching done this weekend.

Front brakes are apart and waiting on parts. I needed to order new backing plates and am waiting on 1 caliper (thanks O'Reilly). Also need to get a brake line made, and get new brackets for the line/hose junction. Shocks are done all the way around, rear drums are done (wife actually did them..I guess we know now who's car it really is)

The caliper/backing plates/brackets should be in by this weekend, along with sway bar links as it was evidently missing one. Once that's all together, I'll swap the booster/master and bleed the system. From there, gotta drain the tank and replace the sending unit, then put it back in and that's done.

That'll give me about 2 weeks to go through and double check wiring, undercoat, and do a couple more little things until the engine is back (hopefully able to be used)

I've already floated the idea to picking up some 15" Cragars once it's ready to run. While I like the SSII's, for some reason this car just screams meaty tires and Cragars to me.
              '69 Oldsmobile 442

Comment

neat purchase. Too jealous to say more words ;)
                Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by brotherGood View Post
                  Not much in the way of an update, but we did get some wrenching done this weekend.

Front brakes are apart and waiting on parts. I needed to order new backing plates and am waiting on 1 caliper (thanks O'Reilly). Also need to get a brake line made, and get new brackets for the line/hose junction. Shocks are done all the way around, rear drums are done (wife actually did them..I guess we know now who's car it really is)

The caliper/backing plates/brackets should be in by this weekend, along with sway bar links as it was evidently missing one. Once that's all together, I'll swap the booster/master and bleed the system. From there, gotta drain the tank and replace the sending unit, then put it back in and that's done.

That'll give me about 2 weeks to go through and double check wiring, undercoat, and do a couple more little things until the engine is back (hopefully able to be used)

I've already floated the idea to picking up some 15" Cragars once it's ready to run. While I like the SSII's, for some reason this car just screams meaty tires and Cragars to me.
                  I agree Cragars are the way. Late 60s look, PERFECT!

Comment

I always liked the Rocket Racing Fuel model wheels... just a bit different looking compared to the Cragars back In the day...
                    Patrick & Tammy
                    - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Very nice car. Good luck with your project!

Comment

Not much of an update, but we got the tank drained and sending unit replaced. I've gotta double check the line/hose connection before filling the tank up, but its on the final check board.

Backing plates came in this week, and once we realized the rotors had races already installed-keeping the races we were trying to install from seating properly ‍♂️ everything went right back together.

Went to try to hook up the brake lines from Inline Tube, only to find out they didn't fit. After some emailing/phone call with Inline, I found out apparently my car started life as a drum/drum car. So, I've got everything coming to make it correct as if it started life as a disc/drum car.

Once that's done, I'm gonna pull the dash to make sure there aren't any surprises behind there. I think we're gonna have to break down and put a headliner and visors in it (thanks Mice) but once everything is to the point where it's good and drivable, I'll just run it up the street to the upholstery shop.

I'd set a lofty goal of having it on the road by August. At this point, it's pretty much hinging on the engine shop but we may be able to meet that goal.
                        '69 Oldsmobile 442

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_72579.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	854.8 KB
ID:	1295790 Well, the stuff from inline tube came in yesterday and I had full intentions of just placing things where they go last night as the wife is off at the end of the week and wanted something to do with the car. Instead, we went ahead and installed everything..ha. I've gotta double check to make sure I have the hoses in the calipers right (can't remember where the copper washer goes in order) but beyond that it's time to bleed. I didnt bench bleed the master due to seeing bleeders on them..but if need be I'll pull it back off and do that.

I will say this though..its much more complicated to install than the Mopar boosters I've messed with, but it looks much better.
                          Last edited by brotherGood; June 16, 2021, 02:35 AM.
                          '69 Oldsmobile 442

Comment

Well after a few headaches, I'm down to the waiting game. Finished up the brakes this past week, fixed the lock cylinder, light switch, parking light housing, and dome light along with installing a new steering wheel to replace the cracked up factory wheel.

Put the front end down, also installed a new underhood insulation pad and just have the differential service left before the back end goes down.

Still waiting to hear back from the engine shop, but at this point I think we're gonna clean the heck out of it and push it to the street for the 4th of July car show that is right up the street. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210627_150458_939.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	724.2 KB
ID:	1297091Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210623_222115_383.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	924.3 KB
ID:	1297092
                            '69 Oldsmobile 442

Comment

This is SUCH a great project!

Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X