Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 74NovaMan
    replied
    I had great results modifying a factory harness and changing the stock ECU programming. I have some resources I could dig up if you decide to go down that road.

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    Originally posted by DirtyWhiteBoy View Post

Darn straight I expect it to work! For the amount of money they charge for a $100 made in China box, they should at least stand behind them.

This is my first venture into efi.
    This experience will shape ALL of my future builds....(The one or two I have left in me.)
    I would rather find an alternative or just stick with a carb for my own peace of mind.
    the problem is they're all equally terrible. Why do you think I had FiTech on my Corvette and now Holley? The sniper system was better then the FiTech (added features) but I was having ignition trouble with that extra feature (ignition) when I swapped to the Terminator X. I swear I should write a book on my experience with the various manufacturers - and who knows, I might.... I've run pretty much all of them. The only 'hole' in my experience is Megasquirt - which is what I'm using to run the Buick wagon, so my thoughts on that one will happen eventually....

anyway, the point is had you bought something else, you'd have probably had trouble with them too....

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied

Thanks Russell! UGH Facebook, if you see it again, please let me know.

Holley tech wouldn't even discuss a repair. As a long time repair guy, this is a red flag for me. I know they can get the parts.

When mine gets back I'm going to open it up and have a look.

No need to worry about breaking the seal If they won't stand behind it anyway.
    Forums > Facebook

There are few people that mentioned repair. Probably worth waiting until you get it back. Holley might tell you want failed. That might help those guys determine if they think they can fix it. Names are Danny Kimbler, Frank Heizler, Billy Joe Waggoner.

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    So sorry this is going on for you. The Volvo now has a Holley EFI in place of the FAST system which sucked. It was installed and tuned at our dyne shop and they're a Holly dealer. No significant issues with it on the Volvo but it came out of the box and was immediately installed and tuned so if there were any issues they would have been addressed and the installer might not have even mentioned them. At any rate, yes, they should support their products.

Leave a comment:

• DirtyWhiteBoy
    replied
    Originally posted by Russell View Post
    Seems like I have heard of few guys offering opening them up and repair them on Facebook. I don't remember what group I saw it on.

Sorry to hear you have had bad luck. Knock on wood mine has been ok so far.
    Thanks Russell! UGH Facebook, if you see it again, please let me know.

Holley tech wouldn't even discuss a repair. As a long time repair guy, this is a red flag for me. I know they can get the parts.

When mine gets back I'm going to open it up and have a look.

No need to worry about breaking the seal If they won't stand behind it anyway.

Leave a comment:

• DirtyWhiteBoy
    replied
    Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

Key in all of this is "power your system up with the handheld connected within 3 months of purchase" .... we're so used to things working in the aftermarket that this isn't our norm.... and I blame Holley.
    Darn straight I expect it to work! For the amount of money they charge for a $100 made in China box, they should at least stand behind them.

This is my first venture into efi.
    This experience will shape ALL of my future builds....(The one or two I have left in me.)
    I would rather find an alternative or just stick with a carb for my own peace of mind.

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    Seems like I have heard of few guys offering opening them up and repair them on Facebook. I don't remember what group I saw it on.

Sorry to hear you have had bad luck. Knock on wood mine has been ok so far.

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied

The ecu won't communicate with the handheld or a PC.
    I sent it to Holley, they called today to say I need buy a new unit for the discounted price of $1055.95. Same price as Summit.
    It never tried to boot up. No lights, and communication error from the first power on.
    I was able to flash the handheld to the newest firmware, but no joy for the ecu.

BTW, I've done a lot of research this past week.
    I read two cases where the bus connector had a pin not locked in, causing the handheld not to work.
    yeah... know about the pin thing - outside of the intake setback I'm experiencing, there are several issues that are related to that... the handheld, the fuel pressure sensor (and another I can't remember right now).... all I need to check pin inputs (the fuel one is fun, when it's floating in air, it works, when it's screwed into the fuel line it shows error).... Holley tech has been helpful, in fact they sent me a 2nd handheld (well after the warranty) but I'm pretty sure that if I get to the end of the diagnosis and it's the box... Holley will tell me to pound sand.

Key in all of this is "power your system up with the handheld connected within 3 months of purchase" .... we're so used to things working in the aftermarket that this isn't our norm.... and I blame Holley.

Leave a comment:

• DirtyWhiteBoy
    replied
    Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
    3 months... that's it. Question, is the computer dead or the handheld? mine won't operate a handheld but works just fine with the computer....
    The ecu won't communicate with the handheld or a PC.
    I sent it to Holley, they called today to say I need buy a new unit for the discounted price of $1055.95. Same price as Summit.
    It never tried to boot up. No lights, and communication error from the first power on.
    I was able to flash the handheld to the newest firmware, but no joy for the ecu.

BTW, I've done a lot of research this past week.
    I read two cases where the bus connector had a pin not locked in, causing the handheld not to work.

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    3 months... that's it. Question, is the computer dead or the handheld? mine won't operate a handheld but works just fine with the computer....

Leave a comment:

• DirtyWhiteBoy
    replied
    Well that sucked!

My Terminator x max was sitting in my shop for 14 months before I got around to installing it.....
    You guessed it, it was D.O.A. and NO WARRANY

I'm out $1800 +. Oh, and now they want me to buy another unit. RIIIIGHT!

For that kind of $$$, I expected them to stand behind their product. Boy was I wrong!

Anyone know of a shop that repairs these? Holley would only talk about selling me a NEW unit.

It looks like I'm going to have to learn HP tuners after all.

Holley Terminator X Max to be clear, buyer beware, test it within a year of purchase.

By the way, I was offered a "discount price". The same price on Summit's website.

Last edited by DirtyWhiteBoy; March 5, 2024, 02:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

• DirtyWhiteBoy
    replied
    Well I've been dealing with the Terminator X Max since Friday night. The handheld fires up and cannot connect to the ecu. I've tried every trick I've found on the internet, and NO BEUNO!

Not a single led on the ecu has so much as flickered.

I've flashed the hand held unit, it updated, but still no communication. Tried with a PC- nope.
    Unless someone here can provide some insight, It's looking like a 3 hour call to Holley tomorrow and send the never used ecu in for service

I wish I had saved the $$ and used the factory ecm and crusty wiring

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied

That's a great idea. I used a $8 garden sprayer, tire valve and a psi guage. If/when mine explodes, I'm going to copy yours.
    Unless the wife has a pressure cooker she never uses!

Leave a comment:

• DirtyWhiteBoy
    replied
    Originally posted by 74NovaMan View Post
    Neat project. Here is the pre oiler I made:
    That's a great idea. I used a $8 garden sprayer, tire valve and a psi guage. If/when mine explodes, I'm going to copy yours.
    Last edited by DirtyWhiteBoy; February 13, 2024, 08:25 AM.

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    Originally posted by 74NovaMan View Post
    Neat project. Here is the pre oiler I made:
    That'll work too!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X