No announcement yet.

1969 c-10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got the bed floor clearanced for the new tank.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20211209_182952965.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	166.3 KB
ID:	1310808

Name:	IMG_20211209_130109245.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	187.4 KB
ID:	1310810

Very possibly the WORST job in the shop......Cleaning 50+ years of yuck off of the bottom of a body.
    Right now I'm regretting being too lazy and cheap to build a rotisserie for this thing. I'm like Danny Glover.....Too old for this
    BTW, this kind of job is how I was dubbed DWB by my Dad's best friend, well before the Loverboy song.

I hope to make it to PRIME TIME for the bottom next week

Name:	IMG_20211217_154239099.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	187.8 KB
ID:	1310809

A.K.A. Brian
    Jack of many trades-master of none

Comment

Youre eating the elephant one bite at a time and pretty damned quickly!
      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
        Youre eating the elephant one bite at a time and pretty damned quickly!
        Thanks, but it's not feeling very fast right now. I didn't think I was going to do a full resto, but here we are.

I hoped to have the last two weeks of the year to dedicate to this truck.....NOPE. Oh well, a little progress is better than none.

EPOXY PRIMER/SEALER

Name:	IMG_20211226_180344414.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	1311380

Final color, single stage urethane

Name:	IMG_20211229_152636522.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	155.2 KB
ID:	1311381
        A.K.A. Brian

Comment

DWB, looking good!

What's the run down on those tanks once again?
          I tried to look within this thread. Guys use them in Fords as well (I have an upcoming '51 F1 truck project)

The "cool" tanks are what years? Something like 86-96 G20 van? Or some year of Suburban?
          Looking for an EFI tank with likely baffles and sending unit, I'm aware of changing the pump for my needs.

Which one did you use?
          1997 Ranger 5.0L HO, GT40 heads/tubular intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, B303, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster mufflers, T5 trans, Tri-Ax shifter, CenterForce Dual Friction clutch, 8.8 Traction Lok 3.55 gears, Cobra 13" front brakes, Cobra 11.65" rear discs.
          1997 Mustang GT
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Teddyzee View Post
            DWB, looking good!

What's the run down on those tanks once again?
            I tried to look within this thread. Guys use them in Fords as well (I have an upcoming '51 F1 truck project)

The "cool" tanks are what years? Something like 86-96 G20 van? Or some year of Suburban?
            Looking for an EFI tank with likely baffles and sending unit, I'm aware of changing the pump for my needs.

Which one did you use?
            Thanks Teddyzee, This one is from LMC Trucks, I believe it's a standard tank for '67-72 Blazer-Suburban.
            It's nice and sturdy, only cost about $150, but has no baffles.
            When I ordered this tank, I intended to sell the truck last fall after just eliminating the rust.
            The tank and many other parts were on backorder, and I was too slow to make the show with this one.
            If end up with FI on this, I suppose I will use a baffled pickup and hope for the best.

I have not looked into EFI tanks much. I've always enjoyed the simplicity of a carb setup and never messed with EFI..
            I have a feeling in the near future, I will be taking a crash course.
            Last edited by DirtyWhiteBoy; December 30, 2021, 06:08 AM.
            A.K.A. Brian

Comment

Change order 1297.

I'm not putting the cab back on the frame just yet. I really want to because it's in my way!

While I had access, I built a dolly that bolts to the body mounts. At least all I had to buy was 2 wheels and 16 - 5/16" bolts.....well, and the argon refill.

The cab will live here a while as I get the firewall dressed out (and probably painted).

It will be nice not dancing around the frame or worrying about keeping it clean.

Name:	IMG_20211230_152305954.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	476.0 KB
ID:	1311434
              A.K.A. Brian

Comment

I'm watching what you are doing on this project.
                When we get the 66 F100 in my shop, and start the KD and clean up. For now it was not in the plans to remove the cab, just new floor pans and front cab supports. But you know, Sheet Changes once you get into a project....

Comment

Originally posted by Captain View Post
                  I'm watching what you are doing on this project.
                  When we get the 66 F100 in my shop, and start the KD and clean up. For now it was not in the plans to remove the cab, just new floor pans and front cab supports. But you know, Sheet Changes once you get into a project....
                  Yes it always changes once you get going. The deciding factor in pulling the cab, was to make it easier to shorten the frame. It just keeps snowballing

Prepping for the weekend, I rolled the cab onto its new wheels. No damage YAY!

I have done a fair bit of work in the cowl area. I was looking at possible leak points, including a troubling mass of old sealer around the wiper motor.

I had noticed, but ignored this until now, WTF?!? I don't know if I should laugh or be impressed. 13 screws holding this "patch" that looks like it was cut with a chisel.

Hidden "repair" under the wiper arms.

Name:	IMG_20211231_102039902.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	643.7 KB
ID:	1311469

The sealer is quite old. Easily removed with a puddy knife. 13 freakin' screws!?!

Name:	IMG_20211231_141927194.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	244.6 KB
ID:	1311470

From under the dash. I can't believe i\I'm just now seeing this LOL

Name:	IMG_20211231_142000520.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	168.1 KB
ID:	1311471

On the bright side the cart sits nice and flat and rolls around very easily.

Name:	IMG_20211231_102829207.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	189.8 KB
ID:	1311472
                  A.K.A. Brian

Comment

67-72 C10 is one of my favorites said the Ford guy who drives a Cadillac . There was a guy in high school who had a beautiful red 69 short bed. I wonder if he still has it. It had a 327 in it said it had a "knock" they built a 350 for it. When the pulled the 327 the flywheel was cracked.

Never saw him gas it. Always wondered how it ran.
                    http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                    1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                    ​​​​​​

Comment

13 screws, eh?
                      There's always Surprises left by the previous owner(s)
                      Sometimes those Mickey Mouse repairs hold.

​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Captain View Post
                        13 screws, eh?
                        There's always Surprises left by the previous owner(s)
                        Sometimes those Mickey Mouse repairs hold.

​​​
                        This one has been there for quite a while. When I pulled it out this morning, it was clearly leaking at a couple screws.....It will not leak again for some time.
                        I'm not sure this one is Mickey Mouse. I mean someone put some real effort into this, so A for effort.

As my mom DRILLED into my head, "just because you can, doesn't mean you should". For some reason I heard that a lot

At any rate, this should reduce a couple more sources of water in the cab. I HOPE

On to a few pics

I don't know how/why?!?

Name:	IMG_20220101_082352681.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	225.1 KB
ID:	1311528

At least I have OEM sheet metal for the patch.

Name:	IMG_20220101_082411748.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	234.0 KB
ID:	1311529

A little trimming

Name:	IMG_20220101_090632832.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	191.9 KB
ID:	1311530

A little cleaning and hot glue

Name:	IMG_20220101_110151078.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	228.2 KB
ID:	1311531
                        A little cleaner from under the dash too.

Name:	IMG_20220101_105929041.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	167.9 KB
ID:	1311532
                        A.K.A. Brian

Comment

Got my builds all screwed up, I guess!

Oh well... For anyone going EFI, the van tanks are a great, cheap option if you look into it a bit.

Thanks for sharing all the work, there's always something we can take from it. (even if it's reading comprehension, lol)
                          1997 Ranger 5.0L HO, GT40 heads/tubular intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, B303, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster mufflers, T5 trans, Tri-Ax shifter, CenterForce Dual Friction clutch, 8.8 Traction Lok 3.55 gears, Cobra 13" front brakes, Cobra 11.65" rear discs.
                          1997 Mustang GT
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Teddyzee View Post
                            Got my builds all screwed up, I guess!

Oh well... For anyone going EFI, the van tanks are a great, cheap option if you look into it a bit.

Thanks for sharing all the work, there's always something we can take from it. (even if it's reading comprehension, lol)

I'm sure my tendency to be distracted by shiny bits makes it hard to follow my train (wreck) of thought.
                            I often make decisions like a squirrel in the road when it comes to my own builds.

I am trying hard to stay on track. I want to get this thing running first with my mule SBC, then to race it up a bit.
                            The LS, and EFI in general is all new to me. THAT will be phase 2 if the truck sticks around that long.

BTW thanks for the tank info. It sounds easier/cheaper than modifying my current tank.
                            A.K.A. Brian

Comment

I got to play a little today.

Trying to clean up the stock firewall.

I'm not using OEM style firewall insulation, so I wanted to fill the holes used to secure it.

The old stuff is just destroyed, and smells like rodent nest. It HAD to go.

I searched through my pile of hole punch poop looking for plugs the right size.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220106_110040240.jpg Views:	0 Size:	199.1 KB ID:	1311775

I didn't find any so I fed the machine some 18 g crs and made some.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220105_113332096.jpg Views:	0 Size:	134.7 KB ID:	1311776

fits perfectly

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220105_113407837.jpg Views:	0 Size:	129.8 KB ID:	1311777
                              Sure beats using washers from the junk drawer

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220106_110910066.jpg Views:	0 Size:	199.5 KB ID:	1311778

A good grinder is very important for a bad welder to have around.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220106_123838905.jpg Views:	0 Size:	130.2 KB ID:	1311779
                              Last edited by DirtyWhiteBoy; January 6, 2022, 06:20 PM.
                              A.K.A. Brian

Comment

I should have saved some of those punch slugs from back in my working days. We recycled pounds of those and they would have been free for the taking. In my next life......

Dan
                                Last edited by DanStokes; January 7, 2022, 08:30 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X