1969 c-10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
    Either you modify the new fenders to fit or maybe cut the required patch panels out of the new fenders to fix the old ones. It's probably a toss of the coin as to which is easier.

Dan
    I just figured if fab work must be done, I'll keep the OEM parts.

I sure wish I had some shrinking/shaping gear here.

It would keep a lot of bad words from being turned loose
    A.K.A. Brian
    Jack of many trades-master of none

Comment

• Originally posted by DirtyWhiteBoy View Post

I just figured if fab work must be done, I'll keep the OEM parts.

I sure wish I had some shrinking/shaping gear here.

It would keep a lot of bad words from being turned loose
      I thought of buying those from Eastwood but the I found out that they don't come with an operator. I 'spose I could learn......

Dan

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

I thought of buying those from Eastwood but the I found out that they don't come with an operator. I 'spose I could learn......

Dan
        You don't fool me Dan the body man.

I have a cheap edge shrinker form Harbor Freight. I need something with more reach.

I did get templates made and a couple simple parts roughed in.

The rest will have to wait until I can make a shrinking block or stump..... next week I hope.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220410_131159078.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	128.7 KB
ID:	1317478

This side is more of a trick.

I'll try it in one piece.

I'm out of practice, so I'll cheat if I need to :-)

Name:	IMG_20220410_124731001.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	1317479
        A.K.A. Brian

Comment

• For a Dirty White Boy you do some mighty clean work

Comment

• Originally posted by langleylad View Post
            For a Dirty White Boy you do some mighty clean work
            HaHa, thanks. I learned a trick or two when I was an indentured servant in my dad's restoration shop......WOW, that was 40 years ago.
            A.K.A. Brian

Comment

• After a few hideous fails, I decided to go ahead and make a shrinking fixture from 2x8's. Not my idea, I found it online.

The piece for the outside front came out of the scrap pile and may be a little short, but this is only a test.

Tonight, I will start roughing in the driver's side.

note the fit on the "new fender". The grill fitment was even worse. So much for saving time.

tools used on the curved part are shears, ballpeen hammer, shrinking fixture, and Harbor Freight English wheel (only to smooth the hammer blows).
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220421_105511993.jpg Views:	0 Size:	161.0 KB ID:	1317956

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220421_125115647.jpg Views:	0 Size:	164.8 KB ID:	1317957

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220419_144815940.jpg Views:	0 Size:	168.2 KB ID:	1317959

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220421_125823429.jpg Views:	0 Size:	117.1 KB ID:	1317958
              Last edited by DirtyWhiteBoy; April 21, 2022, 10:33 AM.
              A.K.A. Brian

Comment

• No c-10 progress, but the road warrior GMC van failed a pre-flight inspection.

It was bleeding antifreeze from the transmission dust cover.

Lucky for me, it was just a $0.99 part

I need to have it ready to for a road trip by Sunday

Name:	IMG_20220503_182109853.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	167.2 KB
ID:	1318577

Name:	IMG_20220504_130916936.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	275.9 KB
ID:	1318578

Name:	IMG_20220504_130844433.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	419.5 KB
ID:	1318579
                A.K.A. Brian

Comment

• oof, that's no fun
                  Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Those cheap parts can be hard to install! Good job! Dad has a FWD 2.8 or is it a 3.1? That we think needs a core plug.
                    http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                    1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                    ​​​​​​

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                      oof, that's no fun
                      It is NOT. I am missing the lift that I left in TN. I'm getting to old to be crawling around on the floor.

Originally posted by Russell View Post
                      Those cheap parts can be hard to install! Good job! Dad has a FWD 2.8 or is it a 3.1? That we think needs a core plug.
                      Thanks. If it still has a 2.8, I'm surprised it still runs. I had two, both lost intake gaskets and filled the crank case with antifreeze wiping out the bearings. It seems like they all did that. a couple mechanic friends claim the 3.1 or 3.4 (I don't remember which) long block is a direct swap and a BIG improvement. I hated both of my 2.8 engines. My 2wd blazer ended up with a 383 when the 2.8 died. It was a lot more fun after that .....also a lot harder to keep on the road in the rain
                      A.K.A. Brian

Comment

• It's a little 96 Oldsmobile wagon. It's not a 3.4 Dad delivery the mail for a couple of years before SS kicked it it was his mail car. Now he uses it on the farm and to run errands. Not worth anything but it almost irreplaceable (for what it's worth).
                        http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                        1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                        ​​​​​​

Comment

Thanks. If it still has a 2.8, I'm surprised it still runs. I had two, both lost intake gaskets and filled the crank case with antifreeze wiping out the bearings. It seems like they all did that. a couple mechanic friends claim the 3.1 or 3.4 (I don't remember which) long block is a direct swap and a BIG improvement. I hated both of my 2.8 engines. My 2wd blazer ended up with a 383 when the 2.8 died. It was a lot more fun after that .....also a lot harder to keep on the road in the rain
                          Can't imagine why GM didn't just put a SBC in the s10s - that said, that is the single best fix you can do for them... I built a bunch as flippers....

Comment

Can't imagine why GM didn't just put a SBC in the s10s - that said, that is the single best fix you can do for them... I built a bunch as flippers....
                            No question they would have sold even better.

I had a Dakota RT with the 360. It wasn't fast, but it was a better in every way than any of the "S" series I ever had (at least in stock form).
                            A.K.A. Brian

Comment

No question they would have sold even better.

I had a Dakota RT with the 360. It wasn't fast, but it was a better in every way than any of the "S" series I ever had (at least in stock form).
                              you're the only person I know who thinks the Dodge mini transmission is better then the GM one....

Comment

you're the only person I know who thinks the Dodge mini transmission is better then the GM one....
                                I don't know if my Dakota RT had a "mini transmission" behind the 360 Magnum engine or not.
                                It towed my enclosed MX race trailer, our 4 wheeler trailer, and my boat like no factory S-10 could dream of doing. I put 80K on it with zero issues
                                In contrast, our 07 Grand Cherokee (with a Hemi) was in the shop more than any vehicle I've ever owned... it was my wife's daily.
                                Lifetime drivetrain warranty my ass, she dumped that pig for a STI hatchback
                                A.K.A. Brian

Comment

Working...
                                X