I got my First car back! well sort of

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I got my First car back! well sort of

Hey guys - long time - life has a way of getting in the way of hobbies, and work has a way of doing the same, sorry about that - this is still the best bunch of car folks on the planet - and Lohnes isn't so bad either.

SO - for a couple of years on and off a friend of mine had been telling me about a friend of his who had a couple "old mustangs" I should check out - as this feller was particularly lazy and unmotivated to do much of anything - let alone work on a car.
    After several failed attempts, rain outs, forgot about its - and what not - I finally got a chance to take a look at these mysterious machines that had been stored a derned long time ago.

The first one I saw didn't raise much interest in me at all - 2002 mustang Gt convertible, all black... 100k or so on the clock - reasonable shape, no visible rust - but to me - Meh - too new. Then the cover came off it's stable mate in the attached ranches two car garage...... there she was - slathered in a reasonable, allbeit amateur coat of acapulco blue...... a 70 mustang "sportsroof" known to most of us as a fastback. It was a 80s - 90's time capsule - last registered in '94. Big and little cragars (rusty) sparkomatic cassette in the dash, panasonic deck mount speakers in the package tray, ford motorsport chrome (rusty) valve covers and tall wing nut bolts, vintage edelbrock intake, holley 1850, long tube (rusty) headers, H pipe and duals. 302 / C4 / 8" with power steering, but manual 4 wheel drum brakes. Reasonably complete - partially converted to a Mach1 clone, completely shot floors covered by flat sheet metal, but otherwise - pretty damned complete.

The hitch was - this seller was hell bent on a "double or nothing" deal - take them both or don't take either - that's it.

So - a few weeks went by - the black convertible was just going to have to be an inconvenient flip to get me to that blue fastback.
    I made the deal
    I had some friends in for the weekend and capitolized on their free labor - we went over with the truck trailer and winch - the 2002 fired up willingly and seemed to run just fine - so one of us would drive that.
    Hooked the winch on the trailer to the front driver frame rail of the 70 and hit the button - thankfully only one brake was locked up - so she slid up the trailer ramps pretty easily.

I got both titles - handed the man his money - and off we went - he was only a few miles from home.

The 2002 made the drive without drama - although the exhaust smelled like napalmethylmethyl death, and one front caliper was locked - she was smoking heavy from one wheel after getting her home.

Attention immediately was directed to the 70, off the trailer it went - into the shop and up on the hoist - yup - floors are junk - frame and torque boxes, OK - rockers mostly OK - doors open and close OK - back window and driver window were - GONE. Put a long 1/2" ratchet on the crank bolt and pulled..... I'll be damned - she turned over just fine! Rolled it through a few rotations to make sure everything seemed happy.... yup.
    Grabbed a known good battery - hooked it up.
    Head lights and running lights - check
    brake lights - check
    Stereo - fired right up still tuned to the local rock station and sounding great!
    so - we got bold and turned the key to start..... she turned over without drama.
    Now it's getting fun.
    Filed the points a bit.
    Pulled the inlet off the fuel pump and put a piece of hose from it into a 5 gallon can of fresh fuel....
    Grabbed a can of starting fluid.
    With two guys under hood - one guy in the driver seat.... CRANK START RUN!!!!
    The stench of the age old god only knows what flowing out of the pipes was down right horrid for the first minute or so..... then the smoke began to subside, and the little 302 seemed to be quite happy about it's new lease on life. The damned thing idled like it was last running a week or two ago - not a decade or two - thanks undoubtedly to the lack of ethanol fuel the last time this thing saw a fill up. Not a single leak from the holley carb!
    We warmed it up - changed the oil and filter and started to look at the brakes.... just getting it running was already a huge win!!!

To Be Continued (with pics if I can figure out this damned Iphone)
    There's always something new to learn.

Win indeed! Hope to see it on our next trip up your way.

Dan

Comment

Just keep me posted! Plenty of parking space here if ever you need it!

Comment

I guess I should include some details about my first car. My Dad was NOT a car guy - he was a jock - mostly a golfer. So - when I was old enough to start thinking about cars I got him to agree to a 50/50 split - whatever I saved up, he'd match. OK - at the time I was mowing 10 lawns a week and doing odd jobs here and there. To be honest I'm not really sure what attracted me to Mustangs - but something did - we looked at camaros and firebirds, and even a rustyazz 442, but finally settled on a 70 mach1 351C4v-toploader4spd with American racing torq thrust 2 wheels wrapped in white letter BFG TAs for $2650 in 1985. Little did I know at that time that the previous owner had filled the Cleveland with gear oil or motor honey or some damned thing that made it run quiet and register good oil pressure..... after winter storage, I drained the oil and swapped the filter and filled it with valvoline 10w30 and there was that knock knock knock sound... eventually I ended up pulling the engine and trans - had a local machine shop knurl the pistons, hot tank the block, replace the cam bearings and do a general valve job on the 4v heads, they recommended a "street strip crane cam" which I agreed to not knowing what in the heck they were talking about as I had only completed the "small engine diagnosis and repair" portion of the HS curriculum at this point. I ended up sending the toploader to a local manual trans rebuild guy that a bunch of folks recommended- needless to say - my Christmas and Birthday for my 15th and 16th year went directly to paying repair bills.
        Eventually it was time to take all this newly refurbished stuff and stab it back into the car.
        Miraculously - my friends and I got everything back together again - and none of the holes were gone - I had followed my shop teachers instructions - and used allot of ziplock bags with sharpie marker notes on them to keep track of fasteners and parts during the tear down.
        The car roared to life (back before we had to worry about zinc content in oil) I ran it through it's 20 minute cam break - in cycle varying the revs between 1500 - 2500, and then immediately changed the oil and filter.
        I drove that car daily, until that horrible rainy night when she started to slide into the curve.........

Comment

This is great news! I'm subscribed! Congrats John.
          Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
          HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Just as soon as I figure out how to get the Iphone pictures where the google pictures used to be - I'll post some pictures - I can say this - she's already dug an impressive burn out stripe on the driveway!

Comment

Every FORD GUY had his First Mustang in High School !! Mine was my 3rd Vehicle,
              ​​​​​in my Senior Year, had 2 extremely used (up) farm trucks prior.
              It was a '64 1/2 "Phantom Mustang" (GEN warning light, and Factory Decal on the Dash) with the Factory HP 289 4V package, with a C4, which died in 4 months of Teenager Abuse, it crapped out on a Friday Date Night, Drove it in Reverse 3 miles back home to end up driving the Family Wagon.......A real date Killer, with her Dad as we were to go to a Drive In Movie......
              GOT my First Speeding Ticket in that car.
              I sold it for $500.00 and a Motorcycle included in trade as in 1975, Mustangs were everywhere.....
              Last edited by Captain; October 3, 2021, 06:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
                Just as soon as I figure out how to get the Iphone pictures where the google pictures used to be - I'll post some pictures - I can say this - she's already dug an impressive burn out stripe on the driveway!
                The way I do the pics:

I send the pics to my Email off the phone. When I open the pics in Email I send them to my desktop (you'll need a laptop, desk top, etc.). I make a file folder for like pics but that's optional. Then you can go to the icon on the BS page (the one we're on) that looks like a suitcase with a fish hook in it, upper right. Use "upload attachments", pick your pic, then follow the instructions - that part is pretty simple. There's probably a more direct way but this works for me and I get an archive of all my pics.

Dan

Comment

If the picture are not to big I can upload them from my phone (android) using the upload attachments.
                  http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                  1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                  ​​​​​​

Comment

Comment

Hahahahahaaaaa...............Captain. There weren't any Mustangs when I was in high school. Mine was a '51 Coupe. Flathead, 3-on-the-tree, overdrive. Dual Smitty's. Best sounding car I've ever owned.
                      Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                      HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Sounds like a great find! Congrats on getting back to "playing cars". Its pure therapy for me....I've missed it
                        A.K.A. Brian
                        Jack of many trades-master of none

Comment

A Ford on a lift, you don't see that every day... oh wait

I'll go be jealous now, my first car was a 1962 Buick Skylark that I enjoyed watching rust back into the earth at the dealership where I sold it.
                          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I love a good revival story!

Just a month ago I got a ride to lunch in one of these. Even the old bias-plys were rubbing the quarters like the good ole days.

Click image for larger version

Name:	r1KunAv.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	277.1 KB
ID:	1307171
                            Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Mustang and Camaro were working man cars unless 6 cyl and 3 speed when I was in high school. Drove a 40 chev and a 57 chev 4 door hard top

Comment

Working...
                              X