No announcement yet.

I got my First car back! well sort of

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting - I too often wondered why it took so long for GM to break down the differences between brands. Learning about cars in the 80's and working in an auto parts store, I experienced first hand the bewildered frustration of customers trying to buy parts for a car, not knowing what engine was in it. I saw allot of miss-matches, it got to the point that we'd just walk out to the parking lot with the customer, pop the hood and figure out what engine was in their car - then go look up the parts appropriately - it was especially fun for fan belts... when some cars had 3 or 4 that all changed with what options were on the car.

All this happening - all the while you could remove a distributor from a 283 chevy and put it into a 454 chevy, or anything in between, commonality in one place, total lack in other places. Such is a big corporation I suppose.

Turns out in all of apple's wisdom - you can't change the resolution of the camera on my Iphone x.... so going from phone pictures to here is still a multi-step process.

As fall moves in - I'm concentrating on getting the building into some kind of shape so I can get stuff put away and put more vehicles inside prior to winter. That's going to delay some automotive progress.... but the light at the end of the tunnel does not appear to be a train, I will press on.
    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

cool story! My first car was a Grabber Blue 1970 Boss 302 oh so many years ago . . I then bought a 1970 Mach 1 with a 428 SCJ 4.30 auto then a 1970 Cyclone GT with a 429SCJ, more mach 1's 427 Comet etc.

Comment

You've had some of the best big block cars Ford ever made! nice work! I've never had a 429/460 and the 69 fastback will be my first FE build - 428 with promaxx heads

Comment

There's something about an FE.......

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
            There's something about an FE.......

Dan
            It's magnetic?
            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

It's magnetic?
              Well, they will pull you in. Haven't owned one in decades but I still dig 'em (though not as much as a BBB).

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

Well, they will pull you in. Haven't owned one in decades but I still dig 'em (though not as much as a BBB).

Dan
                Uh Dan, .....Fe is magnetic.

Comment

It's magnetic?
                  Not necessarily,
                  Maybe he will build an Al Fe ?!?!
                  A.K.A. Brian
                  Jack of many trades-master of none

Comment

Uh Dan, .....Fe is magnetic.
                    Yes. Yes it is.....periodically (let's see who gets THAT one)

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyWhiteBoy View Post

Not necessarily,
                      Maybe he will build an Al Fe ?!?!
                      he wouldn't dare.

Comment

Aluminum and FE in the same sentence - especially in reference to cylinder blocks generally ends up with cubic dollars. More cubic dollars than a standard FE runs to build - which is usually about double the cost of building a small block by comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
                          Aluminum and FE in the same sentence - especially in reference to cylinder blocks generally ends up with cubic dollars. More cubic dollars than a standard FE runs to build - which is usually about double the cost of building a small block by comparison.
                          if you wanted to be fast, you'd simply put in an LS... this is just suggestions to give you a sporting chance

Comment

Well - I'm trying really REALLY hard to control the project creep on this one, I really want to DRIVE IT THIS SUMMER.

I picked up a gear star AOD complete with converter, tubular cross member, lokar cable and dip stick... got all that and fast efi tbi set up from a gent in Toledo for $1200!!!

I also picked up a first gen bronco 9" which is a touch narrower than the stock mustang axle, the car has a peg leg 8" now, I'll set up the 9" over time (need to remove old spring perches, install new, set up the used nascar 3.56 gears from Ebay, etc)

The front disc conversion is done.

I picked up the Borgeson power steering conversion - I have all the old stuff out, the center link cleaned up and painted, and the box of moog tie rods, etc, is awaiting install.
                            In order to make room for the borgeson box, the steering column needs to come out and have about 1/2" cut off the end to make room for the borgeson box and new rag joint.
                            I'll take that opportunity to clean up and repaint the factory column.

The old rusty headers are out - had to remove the driver side for the Borgeson install anyway - I'll replace them with stainles tri-y I picked up for the 64 falcon that didn't get used.

Got a beautiful set of ansen slots for it - the BFGTA are 2006 date code - but I'm going to run them for a while anyway - no signs of cracks or dry rot of any kind.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Here's the ansen slots.

Got new rocker panels - need to get them welded in, then paint the bottom of the sides of the car satin black.

While I'm near the car with the welder - I'll put in the subframe connectors, I'd like to have those in place prior to replacing the previously replaced with flat sheet floor "patches"
                              Attached Files

Comment

Anyone run one of these? Is this brand garbage?

Comment

Working...
                                X