Casper the friendly Dart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
    Yeah...when I got the car, the cover was sitting there painted, but loose, on the engine, there were the bolts and a new gasket in the trunk. The carb that probably had been on it was also in the trunk, with a purple painted float bowl, and there were a few other carbs (two of which I combined into one that mostly works). There's some purple paint under the black on the air cleaner, too. I guess an artist owned it for a little while...there are lots of them in Bisbee....but wasn't able to put it back together again?
    Didn't Roadkill stop by Bisbee in an episode ? I believe someone there had a cool car collection or a museum or something like that ?

Comment

Yeah, Jay Allen has a neat place there, they visited in the pre-Roadkill episode in the Buick convertible. The 39 Chevy sedan that I built in the late 80s, and Jay bought from me in the mid 90s, is glimpsed in the episode. It's parked on the street now, I drove past it today. There was also a photo shoot in Hot Rod mag about that time.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Bisbee used to full of hippies selling their beads and artwork. They're still there, just older........I always liked the town.
        Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
        HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Yeah, Jay Allen has a neat place there, they visited in the pre-Roadkill episode in the Buick convertible. The 39 Chevy sedan that I built in the late 80s, and Jay bought from me in the mid 90s, is glimpsed in the episode. It's parked on the street now, I drove past it today. There was also a photo shoot in Hot Rod mag about that time.
          Jim , your cars do more photobombing than a drunk kid at spring break ! lol

Comment

They do tend to last a long time

The mill

Click image for larger version

Name:	mill.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	431.9 KB
ID:	1307855

oh god, "the jason motor" (halloween horror film reference, cant kill it/keeps coming back from the dead)

a friend had a 67 dart we were doing a 360 swap into, so he decided to kill the 6 first, send it off with a bang.
            floored it till it valve floated and held it there for 20 minutes. still running. drained the oil, started it and let it run
            for 20 minutes. still running. decided the 1-2 combo was the answer, no oil, rev till float. it lasted almost 30 minutes
            before finally heat seizing. just for giggles, 20 minutes later i tagged the key--it started and ran. didnt even knock.
            them things are scary......

Comment

Originally posted by fatguyzinc View Post

oh god, "the jason motor" (halloween horror film reference, cant kill it/keeps coming back from the dead)

a friend had a 67 dart we were doing a 360 swap into, so he decided to kill the 6 first, send it off with a bang.
              floored it till it valve floated and held it there for 20 minutes. still running. drained the oil, started it and let it run
              for 20 minutes. still running. decided the 1-2 combo was the answer, no oil, rev till float. it lasted almost 30 minutes
              before finally heat seizing. just for giggles, 20 minutes later i tagged the key--it started and ran. didnt even knock.
              Yep.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by fatguyzinc View Post

I'd be writing for days with the number of ways my cousin tried to kill that motor. I can "for example" though with one - his dad was a dentist by day and cowboy by every other time - to the point that he had a ranch in NE Washington. On the ranch were hay trucks and our job was to load the hay truck and stack the bales in the barn. The truck died. No problem, tow-chain and the Dart to the rescue. It was a 10 mile through the hills tow and WOT towing the Ford 20' flatbed with 9 tons of hay on it (bales weigh 100# on average and are 2x2x4). For those calculating... that's 6 layers, 30 bales per layer..... not much of a Mopar fan, but that motor garners tremendous respect from me...

how did we get to the top layers? glad you asked... the Dart was aka the ramp truck.... throw bale to top of dart, from top of dart to hood of the truck, to the top of the truck to the top of the stack.... safety 3rd!
                Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; October 18, 2021, 09:48 AM.
                Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Casper got some art today. It's done with sharpie, so it'll go away after a while in the sun. Both sides.

I also got a new chinese aluminum radiator...the old one seems to be original, never worked on, and had enough flakiness that I decided it was time.

And I got most of the dash working tonight. I'm waiting for the new instrument voltage regulator to arrive, but the gas and temp gages are moving now (too far!), and there are lots of lights working in there as well. Mostly just stuff not making contact with the PC board, from age. Turning the nuts on the gauges, and the grounding screws, fixed a lot. I also had to deal with the light sockets being dirty, and some with broken off tabs. I just hope the speedo survived, it was working great before I took stuff apart.

Click image for larger version

Name:	art.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	234.0 KB
ID:	1308179
                  My fabulous web page

Comment

Couple derby guys loved these slant 6’s
                    One ran Darts.
                    the other swapped them into Imperials and 5:13 rears.

Comment

Imperial with a slant six and 5.13s...that is literally a tank!
                      My fabulous web page

Comment

And I got most of the dash working tonight. I'm waiting for the new instrument voltage regulator to arrive, but the gas and temp gages are moving now (too far!), and there are lots of lights working in there as well. Mostly just stuff not making contact with the PC board, from age. Turning the nuts on the gauges, and the grounding screws, fixed a lot. I also had to deal with the light sockets being dirty, and some with broken off tabs. I just hope the speedo survived, it was working great before I took stuff apart.

Click image for larger version  Name:	art.jpg Views:	7 Size:	234.0 KB ID:	1308179
                        I was amazed when I learned that Ford used the chrome on the gauge panel to ground the dash lights on my Cougar
                        Last edited by langleylad; October 22, 2021, 06:51 PM.

Comment

I still had a little issue, with the grounds...the gauges would start reading high, when the left turn signal was on! the grounding screw on that part of the PC board was still a bit dirty, I fixed it by wiggling and tightening it.

Also got the dome light working (someone put a single pin bulb in, which shorted the dual pin contacts). The speed don't work...it pegs when I drive. I should probably take it all back apart and see if something is jamming it, like a broken off tab from one of the light bulb holders.
                          My fabulous web page

Comment

Working...
                          X