Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sister's Truck 1990 F-150

*There is a question at the end of you don't want the back story*

A year or two ago my sister said she wanted a truck to haul off the trash, get firewood, and run to the home improvement stores. Truck stuff, she said she wanted an auto and 4wd didn't care about what it looked like etc.

We found an F-150 with 300 I6 auto 4x4 regular cab long bed. It was what she wanted, ran good but was kinda ruff and needed some basic service.

Fast forward to present. I was at my parents house the other day she drove it up I checked the oil it say it looked bad would be an understatement. I asked her if she ever had it serviced after she bought it like I recommend. Her response was I don't drive it often. she has her car serviced I don't understand.....

So last weekend I got oil and a filter and changed it. I asked Dad to check the air pressure in the tires I think he said one had 10? While under I noticed there was a good bit of ATF rust prevention. Pulled the stick it was dry. Checked the rear diff it was a quart low.

Long story short I went back to the store got a gallon of ATF and gear oil. Added half gallon of ATF and it still was not on the stick. I looked under and it has a steady drip.

After a few minutes I found a pin hole in the cooler line where it had rubbed against the wiring harness. It was spraying a steady stream. This is the thanks I get for saying I would change the oil in her truck.

I have never repaired transmission cooler lines. What's the best (quick easy and cheap would be nice too) way to fix? Do they sell it by the foot with unions? I have a double flare tool for brake lines.
    http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
    1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
    ​​​​​​

HAYSEED method - buy some rubber hose with the appropriate ID and split it down the side put it over the hole and apply hose clamps!!!

IF it has 5/16" steel lines then yes you can either replace the entire line or put a splice in with two unions. MOST double flare tools will handle the 5/16" steel lines just fine. You should be able to find several different lengths ( I tend to go for either 60" or 72" sticks) at your local auto parts store.

Comment

The hayseed method sounds like a good temporary fix. If I had thought of that while I was there I would have tried it! I really want to fix it "right" so I don't have to fix it again. I am hoping the transmission is not hurt. I really don't want to R&R the trans. It does have steel lines. I will check my flare tool, I know I used it on the fuel lines on the 79 Capri.
      http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
      1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
      ​​​​​​

Comment

New trans lines seem to take a long time to make. You can splice w/ (suitable) rubber and hose clamps if you cut out the bad area with a tubing cutter so as to not leave a sharp edge and use your flare tool to just make a little bubble at the ends so nothing slips apart.

I have a whole story for when I was a kid with a Camaro and did an improper job of such repair...it held for a while, 'til it didn't...and then because we were all on our way to...

Nnn, let's skip that one.
        Last edited by Loren; January 10, 2022, 08:26 PM.

Comment

I have some TRUE being in the Farm Experienced truck Finds/Experience...

Being a 1990 its a down fall, still a First FORD Generation FI System.
          Hopefully the ATF Wasn't Starved to TOAST !

So, hopefully this will be a Farm Universal, Beater truck
          Put SOME, " Some Hog Boards On" and haul "Saw Dust" for Bedding....

Comment

On the line repair: Go to your Parker store and get one of their INSTRUMENT GRADE compression fittings, NOT the hardware store ones like what failed on my Camaro (you remember that deal.....). A stainless instrument grade fitting will far outlast the truck and seal perfectly. Cut the line and clean the edges, install the fitting, and down the road. I ran one on my '78 Caddy for years w/o issues.

Dan
            Last edited by DanStokes; January 11, 2022, 09:11 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X