More Fun With Paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Fun With Paint

It's a long story but I ended up helping a friend of a friend fix a Prius rear bumper cover. We picked up a non-torn one at PnP then I decided to do the paint given that Harry the Paint Guy is tied up with some of my stuff.

A couple repairs (lower mounting tabs) and sanded:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0959.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	927.7 KB ID:	1312245

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0960.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1,009.6 KB ID:	1312247

And today I shot color and clear. It came out pretty decent if I do say so myself. Not TOO dusty and it's too cold to get bugs in it. I REALLY like the 3M Accuspray gun especially as I've gotten on to which tip to use for what purpose (1.8 for primer and 1.3 for color and clear).

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0964.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	906.6 KB ID:	1312246
    Last edited by DanStokes; January 16, 2022, 11:29 PM.

Excellent job Mr. Stokes. The Mustang in the background helped save face on the Prius thing.

Comment

--------------

'Tis always nice when paint works out.

I hadn't touched a spray gun in a long time, gave away the one I had that was given to me, now I've got a bit of painting coming up and just bought one from the Tractor Supply that works pretty well but if you had good luck with it I may check into the 3M one also. 15 years ago, or so, I spent big money on a gun that worked like crap (yes I'm still bitter about it) so I don't believe it's just a matter of what you pay.

Seems like I can paint a car but find myself avoiding it, then when I have somebody else do it I don't like other people working on my stuff and nit-pick their job and then I'm ready to try it myself again.

Comment

Originally posted by Loren View Post

--------------

'Tis always nice when paint works out.

I hadn't touched a spray gun in a long time, gave away the one I had that was given to me, now I've got a bit of painting coming up and just bought one from the Tractor Supply that works pretty well but if you had good luck with it I may check into the 3M one also. 15 years ago, or so, I spent big money on a gun that worked like crap (yes I'm still bitter about it) so I don't believe it's just a matter of what you pay.

Seems like I can paint a car but find myself avoiding it, then when I have somebody else do it I don't like other people working on my stuff and nit-pick their job and then I'm ready to try it myself again.
        I can relate. Harry the Paint Guy does a great job for the price but you won't take any prizes at Autorama with his work (just right for a DD). I've shot a LOT of paint over the years with my old Binks #7 but it was plain worn out. I'd read up online about the Accuspray and I gotta say it works better than the Binks and with a LOT less overspray and paint dust hanging in the air. Besides, it's insanely easy to clean though there is more to throw away when you're done. Basically everything but the handle and needle can be tossed though I clean and reuse the tips. I have a 6.5HP 2 stage compressor and with 20PSI at the gun it kicks on and off during a paint session so the gun uses air pretty effectively.

I wasn't wild about the Prius thing either but that's what she drives.....
        Last edited by DanStokes; January 17, 2022, 09:37 AM.

Comment

Truth be known, I'm OK with Priuses or whatever other strange machine people want to come up with that works for them, my list of cars I seriously don't like is pretty short. Aztecs, maybe, but that's mostly about looks. In any event, anybody that drives a car that does actually minimize usage of the world's petroleum resources just leaves more for me. (Truth again, I really don't use much.) One of our soccer dads back when had a beautiful '40 Ford hot rod, and a Prius.

Comment

It would be awesome if the Prius was there for a V8 conversion.

Robert

Instagram @ mccartney_paint_and_custom

MP&C Youtube Channel

Comment

Originally posted by MP&C View Post
              It would be awesome if the Prius was there for a V8 conversion.

Well, she's a friend of our great next door neighbor and is a mom of a 7ish year old girl so the stock Prius seems to be about all she can handle. And it's too ugly to waste a V8 on......

Dan

Comment

How do you feel about painting a C-10?!?

VA isn't that far
                A.K.A. Brian
                Jack of many trades-master of none

Comment

Bigger than I want to tackle. But I have a guy..... Harry did my Dodge (Truck) in 2 tone - essentially 2 paint jobs - for $2K including materials. Not show quality but looks great driving around.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by Loren View Post
                    Truth be known, I'm OK with Priuses or whatever other strange machine people want to come up with that works for them, my list of cars I seriously don't like is pretty short. Aztecs, maybe, but that's mostly about looks. In any event, anybody that drives a car that does actually minimize usage of the world's petroleum resources just leaves more for me. (Truth again, I really don't use much.) One of our soccer dads back when had a beautiful '40 Ford hot rod, and a Prius.
                    And what's wrong with the Aztec? It looks just like a miniature garbage truck. Doesn't everyone like that styling?

Comment

Originally posted by dave.g.in.gansevoort View Post

And what's wrong with the Aztec? It looks just like a miniature garbage truck. Doesn't everyone like that styling?
                      Uglee...... I'm thinking the stylists were on vacation that week so some rookie snuck that one thru. I never like any car with the top of the rear wheel wells chopped off flat.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

Uglee...... I'm thinking the stylists were on vacation that week so some rookie snuck that one thru. I never like any car with the top of the rear wheel wells chopped off flat.

Dan
                        Dan always was understated. I'd say FUGLY! But then I like Minis and Edsels

Comment

Mini's are cute and Edsels DO have style! The Buick version of the Aztec was slightly better......but only by a little. IIRC the Aztec and Rendezvous were on a Toyota platform and therefore were probably fairly reliable, just butt ugly.
                          Dan

Comment

Be careful if you say an Aztec is ugly around a owner/former owner. I did that one time they got very defensive, said it was a great practical vehicle, with "different" styling, or something like that.
                            http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                            1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                            ​​​​​​

Comment

I know! A buddy's wife had one and they couldn't see the issue. In fact, they thought the Rendezvous was like raping the Mona Lisa!

Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X