Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Capt's Indy Racer Project

Have the Indy Racer Project in the shop going over things
    getting ready for another Road and Show Season.

Could not find the old post.
    But a past issue surfaced Again.
    Coolant leak at the rear Street Elbow off Intake manifold.
    Vibration or Stress....or both are causing
    ​​​​​​the Brass Street Elbow to weep.
    I'm suspecting it cracked at the threads again.

So I believe it was Dan or Squirrel mentioned
    Going to a Stainless Elbow for a Stronger Fitting,
    Better than the "Best Made in China" brass elbows
    that I have used so far from the Big Box Home supplies store.

I was able to find these stainless steel street elbows
    at Zoro, online, out of Illinois. And they offered several
    Styles and Code Ratings. I ordered some that were reinforced
    At the inner bend. Bought a couple extra to compensate for the cost of shipping.
    Also I am going to add another support bracket/brace to
    Help with the stress at this fitting.
    ​​

Hopefully it cures this up. As a catastrophic failure would be
    A Scalding Antifreeze Bath for my Mechanicagisian !!

Keep you Hozers Posted.....

​​​​​​

I've done the radiator-exploded-on-my-arm... don't recommend. It hurts. A lot. Then it doesn't. Then your skin falls off.

Happy Friday Hippy
    Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; April 8, 2022, 09:35 AM.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
      I've done the radiator-exploded-on-my-arm... don't recommend. It hurts. A lot. Then it doesn't. Then your skin falls off.

Happy Friday Hippy
      Ouch

A guy who built a couple marine engines for me had a hose come off or rupture in a dyno cell.
      He was in there tweaking on something during a pull.
      He lost quite a bit of skin too.
      A.K.A. Brian
      Jack of many trades-master of none

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyWhiteBoy View Post

Ouch

A guy who built a couple marine engines for me had a hose come off or rupture in a dyno cell.
        He was in there tweaking on something during a pull.
        He lost quite a bit of skin too.
        Why you stay out of the cell when the engine's under load. I know ALL the dyno cell safety tips! 31 years of doing that job.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

Why you stay out of the cell when the engine's under load. I know ALL the dyno cell safety tips! 31 years of doing that job.

Dan
          Yeah! Do you remember the DDC Series 60 I was running experiments on in the 1st hd cell? Peanut and I had it at rated speed and power, mapping out a catalyst for lean NOx catalyst system. And the flywheel adapter DDC supplied sheared all of the bolts. Oh yeah and one of the other guys had removed the fuel e-stop! Catalyst was glowing brighter than the turbo. And we had only one way to shut down the engine? Do you remember that? CO2 extinguisher in the air inlet. We were lucky it didn't run away...

With the flywheel adapter gone, the dyno couldn't be used to kill the engine, and without a fuel shutoff that wasn't going to work. And turning the throttle control off wasn't doing it. So we grabbed the extinguisher and hopedit had enough in it to stop the engine.

Didn't seem to affect the engine at all. We kept running it on all of the catalyst testing, but made sure the safety measures were working. I won't say who had disconnected the fuel e-stop. Needless to say Peanut and I did a pretest every time after that...

And we only had one coolant hose come off. Fortunately it was the goes into at the start of a test. Oh well the cell needed mopping anyway

Comment

Originally posted by dave.g.in.gansevoort View Post

Yeah! Do you remember the DDC Series 60 I was running experiments on in the 1st hd cell? Peanut and I had it at rated speed and power, mapping out a catalyst for lean NOx catalyst system. And the flywheel adapter DDC supplied sheared all of the bolts. Oh yeah and one of the other guys had removed the fuel e-stop! Catalyst was glowing brighter than the turbo. And we had only one way to shut down the engine? Do you remember that? CO2 extinguisher in the air inlet. We were lucky it didn't run away...

With the flywheel adapter gone, the dyno couldn't be used to kill the engine, and without a fuel shutoff that wasn't going to work. And turning the throttle control off wasn't doing it. So we grabbed the extinguisher and hopedit had enough in it to stop the engine.

Didn't seem to affect the engine at all. We kept running it on all of the catalyst testing, but made sure the safety measures were working. I won't say who had disconnected the fuel e-stop. Needless to say Peanut and I did a pretest every time after that...

And we only had one coolant hose come off. Fortunately it was the goes into at the start of a test. Oh well the cell needed mopping anyway
            Yes, yes, and yes! I always had a shop coat handy so one could block the inlet if that happened - that'll work. Can't remember anyone with the nickname of Peanut (at least I didn't hear anyone called that though I was PPM (peanuts per minute) at one time) - was that Timmer?

Dan

Comment

No plan and peanuts? M& M the Mikes of hd...

you know, Murphy and Matthews? You are getting old!

Comment

That was your nickname. We called them With and Without though I can't remember which was which. Time flies......

Dan

Comment

Tom Baines and Lee Jones called them that too...

And Jim Martin, Vince, and what was his name, our other electrical engineer. Okay so I'm old too

Comment

So now back to the Captain's project? So has the leak been taken care of? FYI, if you want to spend big bucks, Swagelok has both stainless steel and brass plumbing type fittings. Probably overkill, but if you never want to replace a part again, that's the answer.

Comment

Originally posted by dave.g.in.gansevoort View Post

Love Detroit diesels.

and government didn't have a phone book?... not surprising..... we shut one down with a phone book; it was an open question whether it's was going to suck the entire phone book through or shut down...

for the children and to fully BS Capt's thread...
                      Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; April 9, 2022, 04:37 PM.

Comment

The Elbows came yesterday afternoon !!!
                        Ordered them Friday Morning. And by FedEx !!??
                        I have it on the Tuesday To Do List to work on this as
                        It is to Rain Tuesday and Wednesday.
                        Today and tomorrow Sunny and almost 60°,
                        So I'm going to get the Motorcycles out of Hybernation.

Comment

so you're down to mocking the universe by putting up 'plans'?

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                            so you're down to mocking the universe by putting up 'plans'?
                            Blaahahahaa..........

I worked the Large Construction Trades....
                            We had a "Plan A" at the 6am Foremen's Meeting,
                            By NOON it was Plan "Z version 3".......

Comment

Yesterday, took it all apart.
                              found that:
                              A) I must have Not Tightened the Brass Elbow enough worrying about cracking the threads, and the Sealant let go.
                              B) Or it was Quazi Tight, and Vibration loosened the Sealant to a weeping leak.

Repair,
                              First, the New Stainless Steel Elbows have a different
                              "Stand Off". This moves everything a quarter inch. And I Mean Everything!! (You will see in following picture) Changes all the fitting alignments.

So I Used a Better Sealant. It has to be better, it doesn't even wash off your hands with BrakeKleen !!
                              Reused the Brass Elbow,
                              And did used my Dad's Torque Wrench method......
                              A Quarter Turn From Stripping, and that Last Squeek on Brass.

Let the Sealant cure over night. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220413_175126~2.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	918.6 KB
ID:	1317634

Comment

Working...
                              X