my buddy's nova - Iron 1Y's project "Rusty But?" - Video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: we got my buddy's nova fired up last night - video

[/quote]It's a bitch driving while sitting on a milk crate isn't it. Oh and welcome to the asylum. ;D
    [/quote]

Yea... I took the interior out when it still had the 250 I6 in it and drove it while sitting on a milk crate. The front seat insantly got bolted back in.

Comment

It's kind of like using armor all on a motorcycle seat. You'll only do that once! ;D
      I R Bob
      You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
      2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

nice..

Comment

Originally posted by BluLightning
          It's kind of like using armor all on a motorcycle seat. You'll only do that once! ;D
          :D
          "Somewhere the zebra is dancing". Garth Stein's The art of racing in the rain.

Matt

Comment

Originally posted by bullet
            NIce!!! so are we going to see that @ the track this weekend Jay?
            That's up to 1Y. It's his car. I just drink his beer and beat on his car. :P

Comment

At least he got exhaust put on it. I hear it has done a burnout, but I wasn't present when said burnout was done, so I have no video proof of it. I did stop by 1Y's house for a bit Friday just in time to witness it run out of gas in the middle of the street. ;D

Comment

Originally posted by smallblockjay
                We've been working on it for a couple of weeks. We got the motor and tranny put in last weekend, but it still needed some misc. parts and pieces before it could get fired up for the first time. The video is pretty bad. I took it with my cell phone. Of course, the sound does this motor no justice. It has no mufflers on it yet. A lot of things still need to be done and we have some things just done temporarily to get it fired up. it still needs some wiring, tuning and general cleanup. But it was exciting to hear it run. A quick rundown of what it is.

'72 Nova
                383 SBC
                AFR 195 heads
                Comp XE288 hydraulic roller (236 int/242 exh at .050 lift)
                RPM Air Gap intake
                11.5:1 compression
                1 7/8 inch Hooker super comps
                750 DP carb, Proform main body
                TH400 tranny with a Holeshot 3000 converter
                forged bottom end
                MSD HEI distributer
                Weiand water pump
                Carter mechanical fuel pump
                Comp Pro Mag rockers

Basically it's a very nice, nothing super fancy street motor. Guesstimates right now are 500-550 horse. Still a lot of work to get done on it.

Quick video
                I built a motor that was 11.85-1 comp and was very similar to yours and it was around 475 hp. it should move that car around very nicely. good job on getting up and running.

Comment

Re: we got my buddy's nova fired up last night - UPDATED video

So I forgot the camera again, but I tried to get at least a little better sounding video last week. I took this video just before we topped the tranny off with fluid and went for a little cruise around the block with open headers. This is why 1Y knows his neighbors love him. The car now has 3 inch pipes with an x-pipe and Flowmasters. It sounds much better. Especially when it has gas in the tank. :P :

Still a cell phone video, but it sounds a little better since I'm not standing right next to the car.

Comment

I have that same combo in my C-10 with slightly less compression. I figured it to be 425-450 hp with at least that much torque. That car is going to be a rocket.

What gears does it have in it?

Comment

Not sure what gears it has at the moment. Some where between 3.08 and 3.36. I will be putting 3.73 or 4.10 in it in a month or so. Whats everyone's take on that? Will be running 275/60/15 tires

Comment

Mine use to have 3.08's then i got the 3.73's installed , it drives fine. Ive never tried 4.10...etc
                        But my whole point on the car was driving it to work, school etc..
                        That too, i got rid of the 8.2 and went with the 8.5

Comment

I'm thinking the car will like 4.10 better, but I want to cruise it more than race it.....and of course do big dumb burn outs......Trying to get this thing buttoned up and tuned for the Rod Run

Comment

You should run 4.88's. It'll bring back memories. ;D

Then it's time for these
                            http://calvertracing.com/cart/index....products_id=16

Comment

No 4.88.........Remember I already did that in the 68 Camaro.. This time it's going to be 3.73 or 4.10's.........Have you ordered my Cal Tracs...Subframe connectors and gears yet? You still owe me for the beer you drank the other night. :
                              Don't You remember my old 68?

Comment

I can put down some beers, but I not that many.

The '68 was cool, but the Nova will be better. Better motor, nicer car. And it's not taking nearly as long to build as the Camaro did.

What's up with that piece of junk Comet sitting next to your Camaro. ;D That was a few years ago.

Order the gears and Cal Tracs and we'll make your subrame connectors. 8)

BTW, I vote 4.10's

Comment

Working...
                                X