my buddy's nova - Iron 1Y's project "Rusty But?" - Video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my buddy's nova - Iron 1Y's project "Rusty But?" - Video

We've been working on it for a couple of weeks. We got the motor and tranny put in last weekend, but it still needed some misc. parts and pieces before it could get fired up for the first time. The video is pretty bad. I took it with my cell phone. Of course, the sound does this motor no justice. It has no mufflers on it yet. A lot of things still need to be done and we have some things just done temporarily to get it fired up. it still needs some wiring, tuning and general cleanup. But it was exciting to hear it run. A quick rundown of what it is.

'72 Nova
    383 SBC
    AFR 195 heads
    Comp XE288 hydraulic roller (236 int/242 exh at .050 lift)
    RPM Air Gap intake
    11.5:1 compression
    1 7/8 inch Hooker super comps
    750 DP carb, Proform main body (now a Demon carb)
    TH400 tranny with a Holeshot 3000 converter
    forged bottom end
    MSD HEI distributer
    Weiand water pump
    Carter mechanical fuel pump
    Comp Pro Mag rockers
    (edit - 3.73 gear, locker, cal tracs bars, split monoleafs, subframe connectors)

Basically it's a very nice, nothing super fancy street motor. Guesstimates right now are 500-550 horse. Still a lot of work to get done on it.

Quick video

Re: we got my buddy's nova fired up last night - video

I couldnt hear the video very good, but congrats on getting it
    running :D and it looks nice!
    COBEY..... franklin, kansas

Comment

It's funny how 10 years ago we would have said "video on your cell phone? Cool!". At least you had a way to capture the moment. Congrats on getting it running!

Comment

That video really is pretty crappy. I have a couple others, but they are either too long or don't really offer any improvement. Maybe I'll play a little more and put up another if I can get anything better. Thanks guys. It's been fun spending someone else's money. :P

Comment

Dude, you got to get better video...looks bad ass...500hp should be a hoot...
          If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Wish the firewall at work would let me see the vid.
            Hauling ass & sucking gas are the best uses for a truck.

Comment

Fry tires please.

Comment

I'd say your closer to 480 to 500 hp with that combo. I see nearly the same exact combo crate motors with 10:1 compression making 480 hp. Still it's a great engine. Should be a ton of fun in a Nova.

My 383 has the same cam.
                BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BlackoutSteve
                  Fry tires please.
                  That will happen as soon as it's able to drive. Still need to have the driveshaft cut and balanced and a few other odds and ends. Hopefulling in a couple of weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by Rebeldryver
                    I'd say your closer to 480 to 500 hp with that combo. I see nearly the same exact combo crate motors with 10:1 compression making 480 hp. Still it's a great engine. Should be a ton of fun in a Nova.

My 383 has the same cam.
                    You might be right. We have no way of knowing other than online "dyno" guestimates that actually put it around 580. That is a little optimistic. With 11.5:1 and the CNC AFR's with that cam, I can see right around 500. It could actually probably use a little more cam, but he got a great deal on the complete new engine and tranny, so we can't complain.

Comment

With the extra compression, I'm sure you'd get more hp than the 10:1 motors I've seen. That's enough to get you guys over 500 hp mark.

My friend builds 383's left and right. He uses 10:1 pistons, AFR 195's, Edelbrock Air Gap, Holley 750, and a custom Engle solid roller cam that's 236 @.050 and 520 lift. He gets consistently around 475 hp with it.

BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Why you talking smack about my ride?
                        J/K
                        We got it motivating under its own power last night. I'm sure my neighbors loved the open headers!! ;D ;D ;D

I can't wait to actually get this thing cruisable

Iron 1Y

Comment

Originally posted by Iron 1Y
                          Why you talking smack about my ride?
                          J/K
                          We got it mtoivating under its own power last night. I'm sure my neighbors loved the open headers!! ;D ;D ;D

I can't wait to actually get this thing cruisable

Iron 1Y
                          It's a bitch driving while sitting on a milk crate isn't it. Oh and welcome to the asylum. ;D
                          I R Bob
                          You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
                          2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

Cool another SBC lives to tell a tail. Thanks for sharing Jay.

Comment

NIce!!! so are we going to see that @ the track this weekend Jay?

Comment

Working...
                              X