No announcement yet.

MGB New Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You have the technology! You can rebuild it better than new! The 6 thousand dollar MG. It will run faster, it will corner harder...

Okay I'll stop now. So in the Stokesian tradition, have you divined it's name yet? Or did I miss it?

Curious minds need to know...

Comment

• Originally posted by dave.g.in.gansevoort View Post
      You have the technology! You can rebuild it better than new! The 6 thousand dollar MG. It will run faster, it will corner harder...

Okay I'll stop now. So in the Stokesian tradition, have you divined it's name yet? Or did I miss it?

Curious minds need to know...
      Not yet. I might have to drive it first or it may reveal a name as I work on it. ME suggested "Maggie" as in M (a) G (gie) but I'd feel like I was working on your bride so it doesn't feel right. And I'm thinking it's male though it's not a clear signal yet.

Comment

• Steve Austin! Or some mutation thereof. Steve Morris? The m fits. Of course we both remember Steve 18 inches... so Steve may be out.

What about the bionic something or other? But that implies feminine...

Oh I give up

Comment

• I'm waiting patiently for it to reveal itself. They always do.

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
            Surgery begins:

So I carefully began drilling spotwelds and working off the rotted panels. As of last night I got the right rocker panel ("sill" in British) "repair removed and this is what I saw:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1399.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	818.6 KB
ID:	1326338

The panel still in place is the factory piece. Somebody simply hung sheetmetal over the rot with intent to deceive. There are MGB restorerers who want these "repair" panels taken off the market for just this reason. No structure but looks OK to an uninformed buyer.

ONWARD!
            I didn't know that was not a new thing. There is a company that now sells plastic rocker covers and cab corners for Chevy trucks.
            http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
            1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
            ​​​​​​

Comment

• Originally posted by Russell View Post

I didn't know that was not a new thing. There is a company that now sells plastic rocker covers and cab corners for Chevy trucks.
              Same concept.

Comment

• The treats just keep on coming. None are really surprises but I guess I need to say "ain't it awful."

Lower dogleg of the rear quarters needs to come off to access the rear of the outer rockers (sills) so one can get structure back in the car. Note the two layers - they just applied (welded, pop riveted - I don't know yet) the repair panel over the rotted original.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1400.jpg Views:	0 Size:	881.0 KB ID:	1326404

Another world-class repair. Pretty sure this guy restores Rolls Royces as his day job (sarcasm emoji). Note the sheet metal screws threaded into air though they are kinda hard to see.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1401.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.02 MB ID:	1326405

At day's end. That's about 1/2 of the factory rocker on the floor along with other bits of failed panels and pounds of MGB dust. Is there a market for powdered MGB?

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1402.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.20 MB ID:	1326406
                Last edited by DanStokes; September 19, 2022, 09:31 PM.

Comment

• but are you going to lose the shop if the repairs aren't done immediately? if there's nothing I've learned from watching reality shop shows is that if the problem isn't big enough to close the shop down, then it's not really a problem. ... right?
                  Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                    but are you going to lose the shop if the repairs aren't done immediately? if there's nothing I've learned from watching reality shop shows is that if the problem isn't big enough to close the shop down, then it's not really a problem. ... right?
                    I was just venting. Not a huge problem and was about what I was expecting though it would have been nice to be wrong.

Comment

• Had an Idea for the Name for this Project........
                      at least for now ....

Cracker Jacks !!!

There's a Surprise in Every Panel You Open !!!

Comment

I was just venting. Not a huge problem and was about what I was expecting though it would have been nice to be wrong.
                        but you're from the government, you're never wrong.....
                        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• I'm afraid I'm guilty of not looking at all the posts here in the project section, so missed your post until just today! I love these MG's from this era, and earlier. Just great little cars, with nice lines. I'm subscribed now, so I'll keep up with your updates Dan! Great project!

Comment

• When is the blaster coming? Look on the bright side if you didn't have a project you might get bored!
                            http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                            1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                            ​​​​​​

Comment

The treats just keep on coming. None are really surprises but I guess I need to say "ain't it awful."

Lower dogleg of the rear quarters needs to come off to access the rear of the outer rockers (sills) so one can get structure back in the car. Note the two layers - they just applied (welded, pop riveted - I don't know yet) the repair panel over the rotted original.

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_1400.jpg Views:	0 Size:	881.0 KB ID:	1326404

Another world-class repair. Pretty sure this guy restores Rolls Royces as his day job (sarcasm emoji). Note the sheet metal screws threaded into air though they are kinda hard to see.

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_1401.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.02 MB ID:	1326405

At day's end. That's about 1/2 of the factory rocker on the floor along with other bits of failed panels and pounds of MGB dust. Is there a market for powdered MGB?

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_1402.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.20 MB ID:	1326406
                              The Brits recycle their water soluble steel. They use it to fertilize the fields. Adds iron to their diet.

Serious corrosion repair there. But you'll get it. Just start with the inner most bits and work your way back to the outside. Good thing you added extra bracing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Russell View Post
                                When is the blaster coming? Look on the bright side if you didn't have a project you might get bored!
                                Decided to buy a pressure blaster from HF. Less than 1/10 of what they guy wants to shoot it.

Comment

Working...
                                X