No announcement yet.

MGB New Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As always, more rust needs fixing. On to the structural reinforcement in the driver's side fenderwell.

First I put a new top on the box section.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1586.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	975.0 KB
ID:	1330731

In doing the above I cut out the rust underhood and realized that this removed the front wall of the box section as shown. Easy fix:

Name:	IMG_1587(1).jpg
Views:	168
Size:	960.0 KB
ID:	1330732

This leaves the hole in the underhood area to be filled tomorrow - I have a CAD piece fab'ed to fill that hole.

Name:	IMG_1588.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	1330733

Comment

• SO .........

​​​​​How MUCH of this Did You Really Buy ?
      By Weight/too $$$, of what's is "Original Steel"..,..

NOT JUDGING.......
      I have enough of my Own Projects that there is a past point of Never $$$$ Return....

Comment

• Originally posted by Captain View Post
        SO .........

NOT JUDGING.......
        I have enough of my Own Projects that there is a past point of Never $$$$ Return....
        The car was given to me. So far I'm in about $2500 on my free car - but it's a fun project.

Comment

• Originally posted by Captain View Post
          SO .........

NOT JUDGING.......
          My first Mini was like that. Larry, the fellow engineer at NVFEL, sold it to me for $100, and I drove it home! Then I started on the British water soluble steel...

By the time it was up and running, June of 1996, what with getting carried away with stuff that just had to be done, like an Austin America 1300 engine and transmission with the remote shifter just like a real Cooper, a rollcage, custom bucket seats, all new windows and rubber gaskets, Aeroquip hoses, ... well you get the idea, way overdone, I had spent around $17,000. Maggie stopped counting when it went past 12.

All to just have a fun little runaround car!

Comment

• New Year's Day is an excellent day to sew up holes in an MGB. Good thing as there are more left.

The hole in the engine bay is now filled. This also involved making the inner reinforcement piece with the rectangular hole at the right center of the pic. This area is now pretty much as designed and super stout.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1590.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.10 MB ID:	1330847

Proof that, as in woodworking, you simply can't have too many clamps. Here I'm fitting the section that the wing bolts to. I test fit the wing (fender) and the curve is pretty close. I also had to weld in nuts to bolt up the fender - the piece that I'm repairing here was rusted away and includes the weld nuts.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1593.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1,011.6 KB ID:	1330848

Done and primed in self-etching primer. Note the weld nuts in the flange.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1594.jpg Views:	0 Size:	969.8 KB ID:	1330849

While finishing the engine bay/fender flange sections I was able to look into a box section that is otherwise not visible (again the rotisserie proved it's worth as I wouldn't have seen it unless the car was rotated to facilitate the above welds). So what did I find? The sheetmetal that makes up the top of the driver's side foot box was rotted out. This is the area above the driver's left foot and when viewed underhood is inside a box section.

Anyhow...... The only access to to flip the car on a 45 degree angle and work from inside the car thru the door opening. So more CAD followed by sheetmetal fab and difficult welding as shown here. I'll finish this up tomorrow.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1596.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.22 MB ID:	1330850
            Last edited by DanStokes; January 2, 2023, 06:50 AM.

Comment

• I have MAYBE all of the structural welding done. Or maybe not.......

This is mostly for the guys on the MG Forum - how to remove the accelerator pedal. There's a hole in the dash brace for this purpose but you'll need a universal joint socket as the steering column base is partially in the way. Other than that it's pretty simple. The Ecotec uses drive-by-wire and therefore the stock gas pedal is of no use.

Name:	IMG_1597.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	1,003.4 KB
ID:	1330880

All welded in under the driver's side dash. Not easy welding as described yesterday. I also found a couple of small holes in the heater box and made a small patch to cover them Note that I went ahead and pained them with chassis black (it's still a bit wet in this pic - the gloss will be less).

Name:	IMG_1598.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	1330881

And the outside of the repair shown above. Once the brake/clutch pedal assembly is in place there will be no getting to this so since this pic I primed and painted this repair as best as I could. Wish I had a dipping tank!

Name:	IMG_1601.jpg
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	1330882

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                I have MAYBE all of the structural welding done. Or maybe not.......

This is mostly for the guys on the MG Forum - how to remove the accelerator pedal. There's a hole in the dash brace for this purpose but you'll need a universal joint socket as the steering column base is partially in the way. Other than that it's pretty simple. The Ecotec uses drive-by-wire and therefore the stock gas pedal is of no use.

Name:	IMG_1597.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	1,003.4 KB
ID:	1330880

All welded in under the driver's side dash. Not easy welding as described yesterday. I also found a couple of small holes in the heater box and made a small patch to cover them Note that I went ahead and pained them with chassis black (it's still a bit wet in this pic - the gloss will be less).

Name:	IMG_1598.jpg
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	1330881

And the outside of the repair shown above. Once the brake/clutch pedal assembly is in place there will be no getting to this so since this pic I primed and painted this repair as best as I could. Wish I had a dipping tank!

Name:	IMG_1601.jpg
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	1330882
                How about taking a picture of the accelerator pedal and posting it for me Dan? The shape looks like a good fit for the Whatever project...

Comment

• Originally posted by dave.g.in.gansevoort View Post

How about taking a picture of the accelerator pedal and posting it for me Dan? The shape looks like a good fit for the Whatever project...
                  Or I could just mail it to you along with the cable guide thru the dash. If you even might want it you got it!

Comment

Or I could just mail it to you along with the cable guide thru the dash. If you even might want it you got it!
                    Well, that could work! We moved slightly since the last time you were up this way. I'll email you the address. Much thanks...

Comment

• Originally posted by dave.g.in.gansevoort View Post

Well, that could work! We moved slightly since the last time you were up this way. I'll email you the address. Much thanks...
                      I also have a large pile of oxidized British sheet steel. Yours for the postage. How can you turn down that deal?

Comment

I also have a large pile of oxidized British sheet steel. Yours for the postage. How can you turn down that deal?
                        At 60¢ for the First Ounce, and Reduced Rates UpTo 70 lbs

How Can You Pass This OFFER UP ?

Click image for larger version  Name:	298088681_10221877242028271_8850522584362181349_n~2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	66.7 KB ID:	1330998

And with this Special Offer, He will Include the Soon to be removed, Brake and Suspension Parts, at a Separate Shipping and Handling Fee.

​​​​​​Act Now as Precious Metals Prices are at Record Highs !!
                        Last edited by Captain; January 5, 2023, 06:24 AM.

Comment

• Buy one, get the 2nd one just for a separate postage and handling fee...

Satisfaction guaranteed, or your money back, less postage and handling fees.

In other words, we'll get your money one way or another. Just like the Blondie song back in the 80's

And to digress, I still like Debbie Harry and Blondie, especially Rapture! Oh well I also still like the Beach Boys, the Doors, Rolling Stones, Grateful Dead, Dan's favorite, MC5, Bob Seger, Bruce Springsteen but only with the big man, Clarence Clemmons (not sure of the spelling), and especially Arlo Guthrie. But there's another part of that story.

Anyway, moving on...

Comment

• In violation of all child labor laws here's my young helper heating and scraping the RR wheel well to remove the crappy tar undercoat. Hate that stuff.

Name:	IMG_1602.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	972.2 KB
ID:	1331110

And meanwhile I was grinding the noggins off the rosette welds. Almost ready for sand blasting and primer.

Name:	IMG_1603.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	1331111

Comment

• It was nice meeting they helper the other day to to tell him he can call me for opinions anytime no charge.
                              http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                              1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                              ​​​​​​

Comment

• Originally posted by Russell View Post
                                It was nice meeting they helper the other day to to tell him he can call me for opinions anytime no charge.
                                He's such a great kid!

Comment

Working...
                                X