MGB New Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So back to the MGB......

I picked up parts near Charlotte this weekend. Same guy I got the rear end from - nice guy. So I brought home some odds and ends (he gave me two extra wire wheels so I now have a spare) and some sheet metal bits that I may or may not use but mostly I now have a rust-free hood (bonnet) and deck lid (boot lid, I think). I opted for a steel hood though he did have a couple of the early aluminum ones. He was attached to the alloy ones and had a stack of steel ones that weren't dear to him so I went that way. Note that the deck lid is the early type with the outline octagon and individual letters as opposed to the later ones that have a one-piece badge. I like the early style much better. So they're on the mezzanine waiting for me to get to them. The color match isn't good but I'll fix that.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1771.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	744.7 KB
ID:	1334398

Comment

• Yes, the Trunk is the "Boot".
      Fenders are "Wings".
      A Windshield is a Windscreen.
      They spell tire with a y (tyre).
      ... and Curb as Kerb.

Comment

• Just keep them damned Whitworth thingies down there! https://britishfasteners.com/threads-bsw
        Patrick & Tammy
        - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
          Just keep them damned Whitworth thingies down there! https://britishfasteners.com/threads-bsw
          Actually, no Whitworth on this car. Or Metric. All fine thread inch-type bolts. They loved fine threads - even the fender bolts. Non-comprende. So I find myself ordering fine thread SS bolts. Fun fact - Keith Turk's Healey is Whitworth so he has the wrenches.

Comment

• Sometimes I think Keith enjoys struggling.

Comment

• Sitting waiting for the 2nd day for the shower door installers to maybe show up, and watching Wheeler Dealers on Motortrend tv. They're working on a Mk1 Mini in the episode I'm watching. When the owner and the dealer guy rolled it out of the garage (pronounced gaarahge in the U.K.) the owner commented on the inevitable oil stains under the car, saying the old girl had a bit on an incontinence problem. Rather apt...

So Dan, will you engineer in a little incontinence just to get the full on British car experience?

Comment

• Originally posted by dave.g.in.gansevoort View Post

So Dan, will you engineer in a little incontinence just to get the full on British car experience?
                Hopefully not. Though the rear end is a MOWOG (we discussed this a page or two back) so maybe.

Comment

• [QUOTE=DanStokes;n1333731]

I've been wondering who made my rear end and found this tramp stamp on the cover. The best explanation I've found is that when Morris and Wolseley joined they took MO and WO and added the G, perhaps for Garages. So basically a British differential made by the MG parent company. It looks sorta like a little Ford 8.8 and is quite heavy for its size.

Last edited by silver_bullet; March 21, 2023, 10:11 AM.
                  Patrick & Tammy
                  - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• Back on the rear end. It turns out that the first one I got had excessive backlash - should have checked it before I took it home. This turns out to be fairly common issue caused by wear in the washers that space the spider gears in the diff. The washers are available so I ordered up a set but when I went to install said washers I found that one of the spider gear seats was galled. The guy I got the rear ens from is way more than decent so he simply handed me another rear which is nice and tight. The galled spider gear seat:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1757.jpg Views:	0 Size:	954.2 KB ID:	1334827

So now I had a second rear to clean and paint which I did. Again, stripping wheels to the rescue then a wire wheel cup brush for the small areas that I couldn't get with the stripping wheel.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1801.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.02 MB ID:	1334828

And:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1803.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1,004.2 KB ID:	1334829

Assemble and plumb the brakes and it's ready to install.
                    Last edited by DanStokes; March 28, 2023, 07:45 PM.

Comment

• Looks great.
                      Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

• Having at the front suspension.

Here's the front crossmember which the suspension builds off of. Shown is the rebuilt shock in position - note that it also acts as the upper control arm. Interesting design which only works with a lever-style shock. There are kits to convert to tube-type shocks but the OEM system works OK and I found a rebuilder in WI who does a nice job on these. The shiny SS bolts hold the upper and lower jounce bumpers which come as an assembly.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1805.jpg Views:	0 Size:	834.9 KB ID:	1335080

The lower control arms are individual pieces which bolt to a spring pan. As such the arms can be removed, cleaned up, painted, and reassembled into a clean assembly. However, the my lower trunnion (the pivot point in British) had obviously been pivoting on the control arm and not at the pivot point. Shown is one arm repaired by welding in a heavy washer and welding in the missing half-moon on the other side and the other which is not yet repaired. I also did the set of LCAs for the other side even though they still had round holes, just to make the suspension concentric from side to side.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1808.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.05 MB ID:	1335081

So all this was zipping along when I found that one of the pivot castings (inner pivot in British) was bent. This is the part that bolts to the crossmember and to which the individual LCAs bolt. So I called one of my MGB used parts guys and he's shipping me a straight one. I have no clue as to how one would bend this as it's encased in rubber but clearly the world is full of remarkable idiots.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1809.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1,007.9 KB ID:	1335082
                        Last edited by DanStokes; April 3, 2023, 11:42 AM.

Comment

• Remarkable idiots! I resemble that statement.

So Dan and I were on the phone yesterday, talking about the missing parts, the front spindles and uprights, in my shop for bushings and honing. And I looked down at the floor and saw one of the mandrels for the bushing grinder. On the floor. Where it fell. And it was in 2 pieces! It's not supposed to be.

Fortunately I have multiple in many size, and this is one. So while we were talking, I figured out how to hone the bushings, 2 different sizes, in line. So if I can get some time back in the garage in the next couple of days, Dan should have his spindles back for front suspension assembly!

As an aside, Dan, I got SWMBO a new wheelchair today. And the modifications to the shower are slowly working out. Life is good!

Comment

Remarkable idiots! I resemble that statement.

As an aside, Dan, I got SWMBO a new wheelchair today. And the modifications to the shower are slowly working out. Life is good!
                            I bet she hates needing "special accommodations". But as Itzak Perlman once said, "Sometimes we do the best we can with what we have left." Sending Positive Energy your way.

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

I bet she hates needing "special accommodations". But as Itzak Perlman once said, "Sometimes we do the best we can with what we have left." Sending Positive Energy your way.
                              You could say that! So by your quote, does that mean Maggie will take up the violin and become a phenom? Hey all right! I'll start buying Charlie Daniels albums. That's fiddling!

Comment

You could say that! So by your quote, does that mean Maggie will take up the violin and become a phenom? Hey all right! I'll start buying Charlie Daniels albums. That's fiddling!
                                That's up to her. But I hope she finds something that keeps her interest. And while I like Charlie (he was a local guy, born right across the river) Mark O'Conner is a much better fiddler.

Comment

Working...
                                X