Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MGB New Project

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Part of me wishes I'd just bought a quart of Rustoleum Gloss Black and sprayed it but I decided the spray cans would be "more convenient". Not sure if that was true but there was little overspray so that was good.

    Comment


    • And you lambasted me for rattle cans! Oh, The Hypocrisy! Looks good however. You know, I bet for the Mini, I could use some 2x4s and sheet plastic to make a dip tank of sorts when I do that on its bottom. 5 gallon bucket of paint from Home Despot, set the Mini in the tub, set up to lift it back out after coating, and pour the bucket of paint inside the driver's compartment. Let it leak thru, filling the tub and coating the seams at the same time. It just might work...

      Comment


      • When I do the underside of a build I buy a gallon can of Rustoleum black and brush or roll it on everywhere. Then I only need one spray can to get to hard to reach areas. I swap the spray nozzles with nozzles from my brake clean so I can use the straws to get paint into really tight areas to make sure nothing is left bare.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by dave.g.in.gansevoort View Post
          And you lambasted me for rattle cans! Oh, The Hypocrisy! Looks good however. You know, I bet for the Mini, I could use some 2x4s and sheet plastic to make a dip tank of sorts when I do that on its bottom. 5 gallon bucket of paint from Home Despot, set the Mini in the tub, set up to lift it back out after coating, and pour the bucket of paint inside the driver's compartment. Let it leak thru, filling the tub and coating the seams at the same time. It just might work...
          I thought I pork basted you. Either way, you only got half-baked! (Sorry - couldn't resist.......)

          Comment


          • Looking good Dan!

            A rotisserie will be my next "free time" project.
            I'm done welding, grinding, painting on my back/over my face!
            A.K.A. Brian
            Jack of many trades-master of none

            Comment


            • Originally posted by DirtyWhiteBoy View Post
              Looking good Dan!

              A rotisserie will be my next "free time" project.
              I'm done welding, grinding, painting on my back/over my face!
              Me too - but now I'm old and don't do that anymore!

              Comment


              • Today I got going on cleaning up and prepping the kingpin assemblies so I can put the front end together and get the MGB back on his feet. Dave G was kind enough to install and machine the kingpin bushings and now on to reassembly. Most everything was clean except the spring loaded tube assemblies that keep the crud off the kingpins as they go from one bushing to the other thru the spindle casting.

                As received from Dave:


                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2257.jpg Views:	0 Size:	915.1 KB ID:	1346264


                And disassembled:
                The parts with the spring are the cover for the kingpin. There are 2 tubes and the spring. I've taken them apart, cleaned all three parts, and painted them. I'll let everything dry overnight and reassemble them tomorrow.




                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2258.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1,019.0 KB ID:	1346265
                Last edited by DanStokes; December 7, 2023, 08:40 PM.

                Comment


                • And back together:

                  So the issue was - how to squeeze the springs into place safely. One of the guys on the MG forum said "just pull them together with a ratchet strap" and darn if it didn't work like a champ.


                  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2276.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	1346363


                  And the assembled front suspension with the springs happily in their homes. These are the 1" lowering springs and I have no idea of how it'll sit but I'll have to have it pretty well assembled to find out. I'll need to add the steering rack but it will be easier to install the assembly and add the rack later. I can't remember if I bought tie rod ends or not so I'll need to rummage thru the new parts and see what I have. Dave G's efforts on the kingpins seem to have been spot-on with no wiggles and no binding.




                  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2277.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	1,017.1 KB
ID:	1346364

                  Comment


                  • Sometimes I get things right! I know, I could have soaked those in solvent and gotten the grunge out. But I've developed sensitivity to most solvents ever since the days in A^2. We were working on alternative fueled engine concepts, and I had a few too many times when it seemed I bathed in the stuff almost daily...

                    I don't use many solvents at all these days, I'm back to using Palmolive and hot water. And my hands look maavalous daaling!

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by dave.g.in.gansevoort View Post
                      Sometimes I get things right! I know, I could have soaked those in solvent and gotten the grunge out. But I've developed sensitivity to most solvents ever since the days in A^2. We were working on alternative fueled engine concepts, and I had a few too many times when it seemed I bathed in the stuff almost daily...

                      I don't use many solvents at all these days, I'm back to using Palmolive and hot water. And my hands look maavalous daaling!
                      I know what you mean. I haven't been solvent since I started the car hobby but I'm pretty sure I'm in good company.

                      I cleaned everything up a lot before I sent them off to you but I was worried about screwing up the spring things though now that I see how they go together I needn't have worried.

                      One word: gloves. I don't like them either but I use them when handling nasty chems.
                      Last edited by DanStokes; December 10, 2023, 09:48 PM.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

                        I know what you mean. I haven't been solvent since I started the car hobby but I'm pretty sure I'm in good company.

                        I cleaned everything up a lot before I sent them off to you but I was worried about screwing up the spring things though now that I see how they go together I needn't have worried.

                        One word: gloves. I don't like them either but I use them when handling nasty chems.
                        Yup! Keep boxes of xl hd gloves from Harbor Fright on hand all of the time. Inside and outside. O.k. for when I use chemicals, but I still can't get used to gloves when turning wrenches. I miss that tactile feedback from the fingers touching steel.

                        Comment


                        • The suspension is back on the car, more or less. I still have to pull the passenger side spring back out so I can bolt up that corner of the suspension-to-body connection but it's not too bad of a job now that I have the ratchet strap trick.


                          The rig I used to lift and position the front suspension assembly:


                          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2278.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.17 MB ID:	1346418


                          And the whole deal mostly bolted in place. As noted, one of the attachment bolts is only accessed thru the spring pocket which is -um - both inconvenient and British. I'll need to touch up my Rustoleum but most of it survived intact.


                          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2279.jpg Views:	0 Size:	972.8 KB ID:	1346419
                          Last edited by DanStokes; December 11, 2023, 09:00 PM.

                          Comment


                          • Not anything pic-worthy but the front suspension is now all bolted down (so the right spring got pulled and the hidden attachment nut/insulator/plate is in place) though I lost one of the plates and made a replacement - if the OEM one turns up I'll switch it out as I put the home made one where I can get to it. Then I hopped on the Interwebs and ordered up about $300 worth of front calipers, rotors & pads, and front wheel bearings. So that stuff is working its way from all over the USA to Coastal NC. While waiting I'll start installing the rear end assembly which is ready w/new brakes, etc.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                              Not anything pic-worthy but the front suspension is now all bolted down (so the right spring got pulled and the hidden attachment nut/insulator/plate is in place) though I lost one of the plates and made a replacement - if the OEM one turns up I'll switch it out as I put the home made one where I can get to it. Then I hopped on the Interwebs and ordered up about $300 worth of front calipers, rotors & pads, and front wheel bearings. So that stuff is working its way from all over the USA to Coastal NC. While waiting I'll start installing the rear end assembly which is ready w/new brakes, etc.
                              Oooh, Santa is coming! My 2nd favorite pastime, running up the credit card bill! Polite company doesn't talk about the favorite pastime. You'll have a roller soon. Then the LS engine and 6 speed... I have a spare quick change that could be made to fit! Just bench racing

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by dave.g.in.gansevoort View Post

                                Oooh, Santa is coming! My 2nd favorite pastime, running up the credit card bill! Polite company doesn't talk about the favorite pastime. You'll have a roller soon. Then the LS engine and 6 speed... I have a spare quick change that could be made to fit! Just bench racing
                                No stinking LS - they're too ugly to go in anything I build. The 2.4 Ecotec will work just fine and it's waiting patiently along with the Aisin AR5 trans. Besides, 176 HP should get the job done nicely and I can have it tuned if it stops scaring me.

                                EDIT: Forgot to add that the wheel bearings are here and I'm heading out to get greasy packing bearings and installing the hubs. PROGRESS by this evening, hopefully. I got sidetracked with doc appointments so the rear axle isn't in yet but that's coming.
                                Last edited by DanStokes; December 22, 2023, 12:22 PM.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X