No announcement yet.

MGB New Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dan, is really working on the tube door look. He's been at the beach and seen them on the jeeps. Next we will be seeing balloon tires!
    http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
    1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
    ​​​​​​

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
      Guerreri's First Law of Automotive Fabrication:

"Any job worth doing is worth overdoing"

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_1350.jpg Views:	0 Size:	953.6 KB ID:	1325442

Disclaimer: I didn't actually design this. It's what happens when you have leftover pieces of roll cage, some with bends. And then I figured "I COULD......"
      With the Stokes Corrollary: Twice is just not enough! That should do it but Just in case...

Comment

• Originally posted by Russell View Post
        Dan, is really working on the tube door look. He's been at the beach and seen them on the jeeps. Next we will be seeing balloon tires!
        Hey I like that idea! And the next step better, duallies on the rear!

Comment

• Originally posted by Russell View Post
          Dan, is really working on the tube door look. He's been at the beach and seen them on the jeeps. Next we will be seeing balloon tires!
          Nope. No hinges. And no buffoon tires for me!
          Last edited by DanStokes; August 31, 2022, 12:52 PM.

Comment

• Dan,

The stepover height being so low on this thing, you might not need hinges to still work as a door.
            Central TEXAS Sleeper
            USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

• Originally posted by CTX-SLPR View Post
              Dan,

The stepover height being so low on this thing, you might not need hinges to still work as a door.
              Point taken.......

Comment

• That's what I was thinking.
                leave the DOT Approve Side Collision Bars in,
                Skin the doors of the exterior metal,

And then do the "Lemons Start Quick Step Hop In"
                over the Door, having left it in 1st gear, push the Starter Button, Not Using the Clutch......
                Taking Off, (hoping the engine will catch before the battery catches fire in the compartment Right Behind Your Seat under the floor)
                .....Just to Show Off "This is How it's Done, Mate !"

Last edited by Captain; September 1, 2022, 07:37 AM.

Comment

• Driver's side braces:

I do better when not using leftover roll bar bits. Given what I need this to do I just welded this in place and the bottom of the welds are open. I think they're plenty strong though the welds are ugly.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1355.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	1325562

I need an opinion. Do you guys think I should run a bar from side to side sorta like in the pic? I guess it's possible that the body shell might get wider or narrower but maybe not? Anyhow, what to y'all think?

Name:	IMG_1358.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	959.0 KB
ID:	1325563

Comment

• for me, it would be hard to believe it would fold in/out but since you have the tubing, I guess it would hurt.

Comment

• What he said! Maybe at an angle to prevent front to back movement one side to the other. Belt, suspenders and a sky hook.

Comment

• I skipped the skyhook but went with belt and suspenders.

At the end of today's efforts: Y'all might notice the crossbar but might not notice that all three windscreen wipers are gone. Not as easy as it sounds as only one of the retaining nuts came off, even with heat from the heat gun and penetrating oil. I cut the nuts with the die grinder and convinced them to leave but it was not easy. Anyhow, I'm closing in on a bare shell though tomorrow ME and I are off to SC to buy a cache of MGB parts from a guy who doesn't even own an MGB. Should come home with a truck full.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1359.jpg Views:	0 Size:	984.8 KB ID:	1325605
                        Last edited by DanStokes; September 2, 2022, 07:21 PM.

Comment

• Back on the B.

Yesterday ME and I made a run to South Carolina and bought up a whole bunch of MGB parts from an English car collector (beautiful Sunbeam Tiger!). He bought out another English car guy's stash and ended up with some MGB parts but about the only English car he doesn't have is an MGB! I should have taken a pic but didn't. Anyhow, I got most of the new sill parts, a decent door with just a touch of rust, a roll bar, a steering wheel (mine was missing) and an assortment of lights, weatherstrip, etc, etc. Nice score! And a decent sort of guy.

Today I emptied the trunk - er, BOOT - as well as the remaining junk (rubbish?) in the interior. This led to pulling the 200 lb bumper (maybe not quite but you get the idea), the rear lights, backup lamps and side markers as well as stripping the carpet out. I now have a much better idea of which rust repair panels I'll need in addition to the stuff I scored in SC. Some places better than I thought, some "met my expectations" which were low.

Trunk floor which only has one small perforation and a bunch of surface rust. Better than it might have been.

Name:	IMG_1363.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	1325667

And the rear end once stripped out:

Name:	IMG_1364.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	956.9 KB
ID:	1325668

But I'm making money on the deal!

Name:	IMG_1366.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	808.0 KB
ID:	1325669

Comment

• Remember when I got the 1st Mini from Larry? I made money on it the same way. There was a couple of Canadian quarters pre 68 in it. They didn't go to non silver until 68. They are 80 % silver vs our pre 65 quarters being 90 % silver, so not worth as much but still...

Comment

• Originally posted by dave.g.in.gansevoort View Post
                              Remember when I got the 1st Mini from Larry? I made money on it the same way. There was a couple of Canadian quarters pre 68 in it. They didn't go to non silver until 68. They are 80 % silver vs our pre 65 quarters being 90 % silver, so not worth as much but still...

Dave - The guy in SC has a herd of English stuff including Minis - even a Mini pickup! Didn't know they made such a creature. He's got Mini parts if you need them.
                              Last edited by DanStokes; September 4, 2022, 07:18 PM.

Comment

• Thanks, but no. Got to finish the Whatever project first, and BTW I did the same thing for Mini parts. Once out there in Michigan found a father-son duo that were moving on from Minis. Jim Shears and I drove to somewhere in Jackson I think??? And proceeded to empty out a shed or 2.

Then back in 2000, I ran across another stash of Mini parts. This guy had been storing a boatload of parts for his brother, and had moved house 3 or 4 times, moving the parts with all of the other car stuff of his own. He raced a Sprog Eyed Frite, which he had since the 60's and still vintage raced. His current SCCA car was a 88 or 89 Mustang 5 liter coupe.

Anyway, his brother had passed away the year before, and he was cleaning out the garage for a new project. I ran into him at Limerock and told him I was interested in the parts. There was so much stuff it's a good thing Maggie didn't go along with me. The Blazer was packed front to back to the headliner, including the passenger seat. There was even a British Leyland real deal racing crank in the haul. They were forged froman alloy, EN40B, same as was used in F1 cranks and Rolls Royce Merlin engines.

Now for the bottom line: he only asked for $100. Yes you read that right, one hundred dollars! I have yet to use the crank, it's one of the few car parts stored in the basement. It's brand new old stock, never been in an engine. And it's worth more than I can imagine ever paying for a complete engine...

So after all that I don't think I'll clean out anyone's garage. Got to do my own first...

Comment

Working...
                                X