MGB New Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MGB New Project

So here's the long-awaited new project thread.

Yep, it's an MGB from Alabama but with a Connecticut window sticker. It's a semi-decent tub though some welding will be required. I may have found a better tub in Texas and am kicking around a road trip to pick up that one but that's still in the cogitating stage. There's some rust which is why I'm hesitant to just dive right in though I may just do that.

(sorry about the finger in the sky pic)

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1262.jpg Views:	0 Size:	933.4 KB ID:	1323156
    And......

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1263.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.22 MB ID:	1323157

And last...... (shot into the sun)

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1264.jpg Views:	0 Size:	672.4 KB ID:	1323158

Of course, this wouldn't be a BS project or a Dan project if I just did a restoration so here are the parts waiting to go in:

LE5 Ecotec (2.4L, 173 HP) from a Solstice

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1195.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1,004.7 KB ID:	1323159

And an Aisin AR5 5 speed

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1170.jpg Views:	0 Size:	918.7 KB ID:	1323160

So this is the starting point. Lots between here and there.

Last edited by DanStokes; July 22, 2022, 02:31 PM.

Nice! Bigger than a mini. Good choice...

Comment

cool project, would be better with a 215
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I know, let's talk Dan into something completely different: a flathead! Or a Daimler hemi. That would keep it British.

Comment

I’m sure there’s room for an LS ! 🤣

Comment

Originally posted by dave.g.in.gansevoort View Post
            I know, let's talk Dan into something completely different: a flathead! Or a Daimler hemi. That would keep it British.
            flat plane crank 215 Buick motor from a TVR.... different enough? 400 hp.

Comment

Nice. Love wire wheels instead of RoStyles. Somehow I think a 215 conversion would be too conventional for Dan. It'll scoot w/ 173 HP and have the Cars 'n Coffee crowd guessing.

Years ago when a friend wrecked his 215 Vega he bought an MGB to put the motor in but all we did is stare at it...they are a lot different than the '70s GM cars we were used to. A neighbor's MGB has sat in his driveway for 30 years I think, I have chosen to not remark to him that it's been 20 since he would have been able to fit in it.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

flat plane crank 215 Buick motor from a TVR.... different enough? 400 hp.
                Not for Dan. He's done Buick aluminum v8s before I think, at least Buick v8s. No it's definitely got to be something unique. Maybe a Ferrari Dino v6?

Comment

Originally posted by Loren View Post
                  Nice. Love wire wheels instead of RoStyles. Somehow I think a 215 conversion would be too conventional for Dan. It'll scoot w/ 173 HP and have the Cars 'n Coffee crowd guessing.

Years ago when a friend wrecked his 215 Vega he bought an MGB to put the motor in but all we did is stare at it...they are a lot different than the '70s GM cars we were used to. A neighbor's MGB has sat in his driveway for 30 years I think, I have chosen to not remark to him that it's been 20 since he would have been able to fit in it.
                  I resemble that last remark. I've had the current Mini, a 74 tub, for 22 years. Still unfinished. And, uhh, the truth is that I really don't fit thru the door openings anymore...

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                    cool project, would be better with a 215
                    I VERY seriously thought of a 215 but the Ecotec makes more power with less weight. Besides, the 215s are ancient tech and any I find would need a complete going thru. I was lucky to find this one with only 77K miles so it'll go in as is. If the HP stops scaring me there are several forced induction options.

Comment

For some reason we're in the middle of a series of rain storms here so I can't sort the steering (the wheels don't point in the same direction so it's difficult to push with any predictability) which would facilitate rolling it off the trailer and into the shop. I'm eager to get going on it.

Comment

It's a British car, it's supposed to steer in 2 directions at once

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

I VERY seriously thought of a 215 but the Ecotec makes more power with less weight. Besides, the 215s are ancient tech and any I find would need a complete going thru. I was lucky to find this one with only 77K miles so it'll go in as is. If the HP stops scaring me there are several forced induction options.
                          just fyi, the latest itineration of 3.5 (215) v8 has substantial improvements to head design, addition of EFI (along with crank position sensors) and cross bolting of the mains. To that, the TVR has a flat plane crank. While it is shorthand to say they're 'the same' externally, they're close but really they really aren't at all. I think the oil pump interchanges and you can use the same valve covers. That said, even the cam bore is different in the 2000s version of the 215 (now 262)

I like the ecotech a lot... so I think it's a solid choice.
                          Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; July 23, 2022, 02:24 PM.

Comment

or a gm 2.8 v6......

Comment

Originally posted by fatguyzinc View Post
                              or a gm 2.8 v6......
                              Too heavy. It doesn't take much extra weight to make a "B" plow thru the corners. I once drove one with a SBC and it was NOT a pleasant experience. Even the MGC (inline cast iron 6) was compromised in the handling department.
                              Last edited by DanStokes; July 24, 2022, 07:47 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X