Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fatguyzinc View Post
    or a gm 2.8 v6......
    I would assume the 2.0 makes more power...
    http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
    1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
    ​​​​​​

Comment

Be sure to save any remaining wiring harness smoke you find. It's still worth money to the right buyer..

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

Too heavy.......

youre right, of course.... so.....
        i guess it HAS to be an all aluminum block
        and heads nascar spec 700hp gen 1 sbc then.
        sounds good to me.

Comment

LS , T5 and a rocket bunny rear wing from SBG motor sports . Just kidding you both . Sound like a fun project . Since you already have a mustang convert with forced induction and a cage , besides getting rid of this ? ( not that there has to be one ) Lemons Rally , Power Tour ....?
          Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

How about one of those Turbonetics turbine engines from the 60's? Small, powerful, and fueled by hydrogen peroxide. So what if it's a dangerous fuel when anhydrous. Dan has experience handling fuels.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Barlow View Post
              LS , T5 and a rocket bunny rear wing from SBG motor sports . Just kidding you both . Sound like a fun project . Since you already have a mustang convert with forced induction and a cage , besides getting rid of this ? ( not that there has to be one ) Lemons Rally , Power Tour ....?
              Dad let me drive stranger last time I was in Wilmington. He is still NA but the 5.8 is no slouch that thing is peppy and I didn't open it up. When you live in a beach town there is no such thing as too many convertibles!

Staying active in the shop is the key to keeping young. If you are feeling down go do a burn out in your driveway! Then do your best Ric Flair impersonation.

After Dan gets it lined out, I hope the ecotech gets boost. It looks like a cousin to the 271 HP LTG in my caddy. One of my sayings is it could use another 100 HP!
              Last edited by Russell; July 26, 2022, 11:09 AM.
              http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
              1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
              ​​​​​​

Comment

We ran with this ecotech 2.0 coupe on HRPT in 2008: https://www.autoblog.com/2007/10/30/...into-gm-party/

IIRC Dave Ross did some of the driving!
                Last edited by silver_bullet; July 26, 2022, 07:40 AM.
                Patrick & Tammy
                - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Back to the project: (I apologize for not taking pics of the process but I was caught up in sorting it out)

For reasons unknown, the previous owner had cut the tie rods so the rack had stubs sticking out and no way to attach tie rod ends. I had a rack from a 1966 B shipped to Lon along with the tires and wheels in hopes that he could stick it in there and make the car steerable. He tie wrapped the "new" rack to the old one and hooked up the tie rod ends so the two wheels sort of moved together but there was no way to steer it from the steering wheel. So I tried to install the replacement rack and it turned out to be exactly the same - only different.

!) The steering shaft is about 4 inches shorter on the '66 vs. the '80, and also at a slightly different angle.

2) The way the tie rods were cut there was no way to attach the tie rod ends short of welding and splicing. There seemed to be a large possibility for screwing up in that solution.

3. Between the 2 racks I had one semi-good boot so nothing to be gained there but I could see the rack gears and attachments.

Onto the Internet and I found out how the inner tie rods come off the rack and it really wasn't too bad though I had to use a pipe wrench to spin the nuts given that I don't have the factory tool that looks like who-knows-what. It turns out that you just slide a punch under the crimped keeper that taps into a small slot to keep the nut from turning, release the keeper with a few taps, then spin the retaining nut off and the tie rod comes off in your hand. So I swapped the '66 tie rods and rod ends onto the '80 rack and am in the process of reinstalling the rack. It's easy once you know how. This afternoon I'll take some pics of the parts in question then post them up. Stay tuned.......

And now the promised pics:

The way it came to me.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1265.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.01 MB ID:	1323483

And now

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1266.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.10 MB ID:	1323484

Here's what the rack looks like. This may be SOP for steering racks but it's the first time I've messed with one other than to R&R a stock unit.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1267.jpg Views:	0 Size:	900.3 KB ID:	1323485

And the nut in question removed so you can see the parts.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1268.jpg Views:	0 Size:	686.3 KB ID:	1323486

And the parts aligned so you can see the notch to lock the nut in place. here it's not screwed quite all the way in but I wanted to show how everything fits together. It's all pretty easy once you know how.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1269.jpg Views:	0 Size:	549.4 KB ID:	1323487
                  Last edited by DanStokes; July 27, 2022, 07:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tardis454 View Post
                    Be sure to save any remaining wiring harness smoke you find. It's still worth money to the right buyer..
                    HA! But it is still available, prob not cheap though

Click image for larger version

Name:	UyDaGFN.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	1323378Click image for larger version

Name:	YHUSJ5G.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	1323379

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
                      We ran with this ecotech 2.0 coupe on HRPT in 2008: https://www.autoblog.com/2007/10/30/...into-gm-party/

IIRC Dave Ross did some of the driving!
                      Sweet !
                      Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Cool project Dan!

I've secretly wanted to hotrod a GT body for a long time.

I just never found the right one when I was ready for it.

One of those simple little cars that could be a lot of fun with the right motor-vation!
                        A.K.A. Brian
                        Jack of many trades-master of none

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyWhiteBoy View Post
                          Cool project Dan!

One of those simple little cars that could be a lot of fun with the right motor-vation!
                          the hardest part about finding an English Sports car is you only, usually, get the top half of the car.
                          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyWhiteBoy View Post
                            Cool project Dan!

Just had this sent to me yesterday.
                            Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Barlow View Post

Just had this sent to me yesterday.
                              Neat car, but that's an Opel GT I'm more partial to the MGB GT

Click image for larger version

Name:	mgbgt1.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	168.3 KB
ID:	1323444

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

the hardest part about finding an English Sports car is you only, usually, get the top half of the car.
                              I'm familiar with that problem. It is hard to find a clean one for sure.

My Dad's shop put rocker panels (and more) on dozens of MGs in the 70/80's for an import company that specialized in British cars.
                              That business transitioned into mostly E type's some time in the early 80's.
                              That guy now owns a D type and campaigns it all over the world.
                              Gary Bartlett of Muncie Indiana has made LOTS of money in various car businesses. plenty of stories online including Mille Miglia, and Goodwood festival
                              A.K.A. Brian
                              Jack of many trades-master of none

Comment

Steering sorted, now get on with the engine swap. Don't be like me and tinker with it for 20 odd years...

Comment

Working...
                                X