X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recheck my last post above. Pics added.

Comment

steering is sorted?
      if you need a rack, Speedway (and others) sell them by length, I can't imagine it'd be much different then the ones they use on drag racing cars (based on the MII design)....
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
        steering is sorted?
        if you need a rack, Speedway (and others) sell them by length, I can't imagine it'd be much different then the ones they use on drag racing cars (based on the MII design)....
        Good enough to steer it around the shop. With new tie rod ends and a couple of boots - and an alignment - I suspect it would be fine for road duty. The steering column has to be in JUST the right place and at the right angle to go thru a tiny little space by the motor mount (I tried taking a pic but couldn't get it to show much) so I think this will have to be application specific.

Comment

My current project was simply to unload the B from the trailer. Easy, right? Not so fast......

When I was working on the steering rack I dropped a nut which caused me to look under the trailer and had an OMG moment. I towed to Maine and back with a trailer suspension that looked like this: I'm guessing I dripped nuts and bolts all the way like Hansel and Gretel.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1270.jpg Views:	0 Size:	767.9 KB ID:	1323607

Once I metaphorically cleaned out my drawers I made a trip to the trailer parts store (not far away) and found out that when I put the trailer suspension together the last time I had used 1/2" bolts with they claimed work "OK". However, the shackles and rocker bar are made for 9/16" bolts - this time I got the lady in the parts department who actually knows stuff. The nuts are supposed to be self-locking but just to be sure I opted to double nut everything this time. Oh, and I redid both sides.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1271.jpg Views:	0 Size:	843.1 KB ID:	1323608

Now onto unloading the MGB. Not easy when you can't just drive it off and especially when you're by yourself. Luckily, I had Archimedes to help - levers, pulleys, etc. This first shot won't mean anything to anyone but Lon, Jake, and me but I'll clue you in: the current rear axle assembly is from an MGA and is the same except different. It was stuck under there to make the car roll. However, while the wheel spline size and count is the same the spinner thread is different, maybe Whitworth? Anyhow, the spinners I have are from a '66 and they won't go on the MGA rear. The ViceGrips are to keep the wheels from sliding off the splines as I push it. It works! Not sure it'll pass tech.......

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1272.jpg Views:	0 Size:	938.1 KB ID:	1323609

After 2 days of hassle here's the end result. Tomorrow it goes up on jack stands.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1273.jpg Views:	0 Size:	960.4 KB ID:	1323610
          Last edited by DanStokes; July 28, 2022, 07:47 PM.

Comment

I dunno, I like the vise grips - since the failure points of an English car start (pun intented) with electrical, and end in rust.... the real question is whether or not the only thing you'll find after it spending a night inside is the vise grips... charred
            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Yeah trailers are one of the two places that 9/16" bolts are common and I forget the other one. Good that everything that came apart was at the rockers and could just bounce along there. The trailer-parts store if you have one around will have boxes of the right stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Loren View Post
                Yeah trailers are one of the two places that 9/16" bolts are common and I forget the other one. Good that everything that came apart was at the rockers and could just bounce along there. The trailer-parts store if you have one around will have boxes of the right stuff.
                They did. And the right advice once I found the right person.

Comment

As of yesterday:

Hood is off and engine/trans removal has begun.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1275.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	1323766

And the B in the surgery ward:

Name:	68090919836__A27BEE40-F34A-4524-903F-E692F23B542F.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	848.6 KB
ID:	1323767

Comment

Engine is out. First I had to reassemble the shop crane as we had taken it apart in Maine to bring it home under Truck's tonneau cover. My friend Dick (the Volvo guy) came over to assist and it went well.

Engine leaving it's happy home:

Name:	IMG_1277.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	959.0 KB
ID:	1323846

And sitting on the floor:

Name:	IMG_1281.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	1323847

Engine mystery. According to the online decoder I found this means it's a '67 - '68. No clue how that happened - it's a rubber bumper car and supposedly a 1980. I need to check the VIN next.åç

Name:	IMG_1280.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	866.1 KB
ID:	1323848

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                      Engine is out. First I had to reassemble the shop crane as we had taken it apart in Maine to bring it home under Truck's tonneau cover. My friend Dick (the Volvo guy) came over to assist and it went well.

Engine leaving it's happy home:

Name:	IMG_1277.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	959.0 KB
ID:	1323846

And sitting on the floor:

Name:	IMG_1281.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	1323847

Engine mystery. According to the online decoder I found this means it's a '67 - '68. No clue how that happened - it's a rubber bumper car and supposedly a 1980. I need to check the VIN next.åç

Name:	IMG_1280.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	866.1 KB
ID:	1323848
                      Well, you remember my 1967-1972-197? Mini. And that's only a guess as to what years it sort of was...

Comment

Wish me LUK!

Now I await the pilot bearing.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1292.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.02 MB ID:	1323898
                        Last edited by DanStokes; August 3, 2022, 12:25 PM.

Comment

LUK

Comment

Wish me LUK!

Now I await the pilot bearing.

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_1292.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.02 MB ID:	1323898
                            That's why I have lathes these days. Need a pilot bearing/bushing, make it myself... well that's what I tell Maggie is the reason why I have them. As well as all of the other oddball machinery I keep collecting.

Comment

Originally posted by dave.g.in.gansevoort View Post

That's why I have lathes these days. Need a pilot bearing/bushing, make it myself... well that's what I tell Maggie is the reason why I have them. As well as all of the other oddball machinery I keep collecting.
                              If I had one I'd use it. But even the Genuine GM pilot bearing is pretty cheap so I'll just buy one - it's on the way.

Comment

If I had one I'd use it. But even the Genuine GM pilot bearing is pretty cheap so I'll just buy one - it's on the way.
                                Probably cheaper in the long run...

Comment

Working...
                                X