MGB New Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And after today's session:

OH, LOOK. Actual functional sheetmetal found in an MGB structure! The front inner sheetmetal is removed and it wasn't easy! Lots of spotwelds some of which are not accessible so I had to cut instead. But then I could verify that the right inner sill is usable though I'll need to weld some tabs back on here and there - the bottom of the A-pillar will need a little love, too.. That thing hanging at the bottom center is the jack tube but I can make a new one and make it stouter than OEM.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1403.jpg Views:	0 Size:	838.8 KB ID:	1326452

Tomorrow's job will be to dig out the rear section and get it out of the way. A couple of notes:
    1) I'm either going to buy a lot of drill bits or improve my sharpening skills.
    2) Don't undertake one of these without a rotisserie! Worth it's weight in gold.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1404.jpg Views:	0 Size:	942.4 KB ID:	1326453
    Last edited by DanStokes; September 20, 2022, 07:35 PM.

Comment

• See, I knew that you'd work it out. FYI pressure blasting: make sure the air is as dry if not drier than you'd use for paint. And wear your best pm mask. 22 years of ultra fine particulates matter research, I'm a believer that better is not good enough in this case. N95 masks when properly fitted and used filter out down to 0.100 microns, which is at the top of the range for ultra fine particulates. And they will get thru the lungs into the bloodstream. The problem is that the pm from blasting can range down to 1 nanometer, or 0.001 microns, or 2 orders of magnitude smaller.

This size is much worse, for a number of reasons. One is that at that size the pm doesn't even need to get into the bloodstream to be bad. It can follow the olfactory nerves directly into the brain, bypassing the blood/brain barrier. We saw reports on this and it is scary to say the least. And if there's any nasty stuff absorbed onto the pm, it gets carried right to the brain.

I was so much happier back in my millwright days, when I didn't know all of this stuff!

Comment

• I'm guessing the old saying about a guy having grit wasn't referring to their profession as a sandblaster?
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Originally posted by dave.g.in.gansevoort View Post
          See, I knew that you'd work it out. FYI pressure blasting: make sure the air is as dry if not drier than you'd use for paint. And wear your best pm mask. 22 years of ultra fine particulates matter research, I'm a believer that better is not good enough in this case. N95 masks when properly fitted and used filter out down to 0.100 microns, which is at the top of the range for ultra fine particulates. And they will get thru the lungs into the bloodstream. The problem is that the pm from blasting can range down to 1 nanometer, or 0.001 microns, or 2 orders of magnitude smaller.

This size is much worse, for a number of reasons. One is that at that size the pm doesn't even need to get into the bloodstream to be bad. It can follow the olfactory nerves directly into the brain, bypassing the blood/brain barrier. We saw reports on this and it is scary to say the least. And if there's any nasty stuff absorbed onto the pm, it gets carried right to the brain.

I was so much happier back in my millwright days, when I didn't know all of this stuff!
          The good news is that I'm doing 1 car. The guys who do this for a living would have a LOT more exposure. I'll wear my paint mask which is pretty darn good.

Comment

• Well like I said, wear your best mask. That's probably better than most anything else except for a forced air system...

Comment

• One mystery resolved. Couldn't figure out why the right inner sill was still intact when the left was gonzo. Here's the answer - "Heritage" is the official, approved MG replacement panel vendor and I found this sticker on the back of the panel. So at some point this was replaced.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1405.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	939.2 KB
ID:	1326507

Here's the whole deal - hadn't planned to remove it but that just happened as I dug out the inner structural bits. It was spotwelded in so I'm thinking it was done by someone with access to decent tools. It'll clean right up. FYI - this is a sort of 3/4 length panel as the back 18" or so were usable. The left side is too far gone to use this style panel.

Name:	IMG_1406.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	1,012.9 KB
ID:	1326508

Where I left it tonight. I have the structure out back to about the rear door opening and I'll need to dig out the part behind the quarter panel tomorrow. It's being a REAL PITA!

Name:	IMG_1407.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	888.5 KB
ID:	1326509

Comment

• Also the "Heritage Approved Part" had a bar code.
                so recently replaced, and the metal eating thermites haven't gotten to it yet.......

Comment

• Finally, Asa and I got that rear piece of the sill assembly out. Wasn't easy. The folks in Abingdon (the place in England where MG's were built) had spotwelders and they weren't afraid to use them!

Name:	IMG_1409.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	1,015.4 KB
ID:	1326561

A different view so you can see the rear hunk gone.

Name:	IMG_1410.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	1326562

And a trial fit of the new parts. Much more fitting to come before any weld is applied. Just as well as our welding supply store won't have my bottle filled 'till Monday. I wasn't happy about that but wacha gonna do.

Name:	IMG_1411.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	1326563

Comment

• Keep a spare cylinder!

Comment

• Originally posted by dave.g.in.gansevoort View Post
                      Keep a spare cylinder!
                      Probably should but not putting money into that=more car parts. Besides, the rest of the sheetmetal is supposed to arrive from England on Monday so it doesn't change the schedule much if I wait.

Comment

• And besides, if you have too many cylinders and don't cycle thru them before hydroretest, guess who gets to pay for it? Which reminds me, I have to use up my small acetylene cylinder soon...

Comment

• I've yet to have a cylinder of gas run out at the end of the day! Seems like they always run out just as I start welding, and mess up my plans for the day.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1946Austin View Post
                            I've yet to have a cylinder of gas run out at the end of the day! Seems like they always run out just as I start welding, and mess up my plans for the day.
                            Been there, done that! Hence spare cylinders. And oxy/acetylene, and flux core wire for other sundry tasks that can stand the stuff. You know, fixing stuff for neighbors. Railings, lawn stuff, etc.

Comment

• Thought you guys might dig this:

One of my oldest friends does automotive digital renderings and took a stab at rendering an MGB in my race livery. What do you think! I'll likely change the front transition but this was a first stab at it. Being poor I'll stick with the silver wire wheels.

Click image for larger version  Name:	MG Render 3 Edit.jpg Views:	0 Size:	323.3 KB ID:	1326670
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by DanStokes; September 27, 2022, 02:41 PM.

Comment

• I like it!

Comment

Working...
                                X