MGB New Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

Not sure. The 1800 MGB engines were 95ish HP before Abdington had to deal with emissions laws (they ultimately dropped to 65ish). Not sure what the HP would have been that particular flattie. And no doubt heavier. Never heard any of the MG guys speak of this but that doesn't mean it didn't happen.
    Those evil EPA REGULATIONS!

Comment

The 1800 MGB engines were 95ish HP before Abdington had to deal with emissions laws (they ultimately dropped to 65ish).
      Remind me again how much your conglomeration is expected to achieve, for comparative reasons.

Comment

• Originally posted by Monster View Post

Remind me again how much your conglomeration is expected to achieve, for comparative reasons.
        I'm installing a stock LE5 Ecotec from a Solstice. 173 HP as built. I suspect that by the time the dyno guy tunes it it'll be a bit more.

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

how to make a MG slower?
          But, I'll bet it sounded AWESOME!
          Patrick & Tammy
          - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post

But, I'll bet it sounded AWESOME!
            they sound even better with a Buick motor in them.
            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Originally posted by dave.g.in.gansevoort View Post

Those evil EPA REGULATIONS!
              Are there any good ones? next you're going to tell me that you're from the government and you're here to help.

Comment

Not sure. The 1800 MGB engines were 95ish HP before Abdington had to deal with emissions laws (they ultimately dropped to 65ish). Not sure what the HP would have been that particular flattie. And no doubt heavier. Never heard any of the MG guys speak of this but that doesn't mean it didn't happen.
                they did put 215 Buicks in MGs.... just sayin'

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

they did put 215 Buicks in MGs.... just sayin'
                  Yes they did - though they thought the engines were Rover. Still a popular swap along with one of the GM V6s.

As far as the flathead - it was a semi-common swap in TDs and TFs back in the day but nobody on the MG forum has any info on a factory flathead installation. I'm wondering if it was from a WWII British made truck which seems more likely. Evidently flatties were all over the war effort as plentiful power sources for all kinds of support gear from generators to trucks, at least as far as I've been able research it.

Comment

Yes they did - though they thought the engines were Rover. Still a popular swap along with one of the GM V6s.

As far as the flathead - it was a semi-common swap in TDs and TFs back in the day but nobody on the MG forum has any info on a factory flathead installation. I'm wondering if it was from a WWII British made truck which seems more likely. Evidently flatties were all over the war effort as plentiful power sources for all kinds of support gear from generators to trucks, at least as far as I've been able research it.
                    And most GIs knew how to repair them... not an insignificant factor for using flatheads in everything possible.

Comment

Sadly, Rick Kirk passed a few years ago, but he was one of the best at collecting Ford artifacts into his private museum and documenting the same.... We had a great tour of his shop and his museum and I would consider his word factual....He did factory work for Mercury Marine, on the LT5 Corvette motor 1991 ZR 1, The Plymouth Prowler, and Even had some rare prototype Ford components as well.... The Hone-O-Drive for the 9" rear to be used for the 69 Cougar(two speed rear end), He had a customer come in for a repair on one of Carol Shelby's original 427 Cobras and the owner showed us the full documentation on the car.... He even let our son Sean sit in the 4 million dollar car!
                      Patrick & Tammy

Comment

there are subtle and not so subtle differences between them. MG used the 5 bolt Oldsmobile block. Also, if you want to put a manual transmission behind a 215, MG and similar are the best source for that stuff... who knows, maybe that's what will power the Fiat 124.... I can get a flat plane crank for the 215 motor - something like 400 hp and 8000 rpm...sound like a Ferrari, looks like a Buick... thought I'd probably still lose the Design and Engineering portion ...

Comment

• I know I'm an enabler, but. check this out!: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...e-7a50cb201db4
                          Patrick & Tammy

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	84
Size:	542.4 KB
ID:	1334251
                            Click image for larger version

Views:	85
Size:	537.5 KB
ID:	1334252
                            Click image for larger version

Views:	84
Size:	517.9 KB
ID:	1334253
                            Patrick & Tammy

Comment

• I'll post up some pics tomorrow but I just got back from the Charlotte area with a truck bed full of nice, rust-free MGB parts. Things are looking up!

Comment

• Saw a guy on FB in the Power Tour Group that put a SBC in a TR6 that looked pretty good.

Comment

Working...
                                X