2014 CTS ("Quick" engine swap)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2014 CTS ("Quick" engine swap)

A few weeks back I knocked out what I thought was going to be a quick motor swap for my best friend/brother/whatever car. What's easier than swapping a 2014 3.6L with a 2014 3.6L from another Cadillac? Well... Let me show you how "easy" that was.... I'll update this thread as I take breaks from some other fun I'm having.

One as delivered, broke ass Cadillac.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20220617_111416.jpg-comp.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	528.8 KB
ID:	1324203
    So the rod bearing(s) had decided to no longer play at this point and the engine would try to seize when I'd try to get it started. It was so close to starting but just wouldn't get there. So time to bust out the vehicle moving machine.

Name:	20220617_195254.jpg-comp.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	742.9 KB
ID:	1324204
    The mower dragging cars around has become a common sight.

Name:	20220617_200348.jpg-comp.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	708.9 KB
ID:	1324205Almost there!

Name:	20220617_202540.jpg-comp.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	668.4 KB
ID:	1324206

And so it begins (began?)...

Name:	20220618_102759.jpg-comp.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	627.8 KB
ID:	1324207

Been there done that . I'm going to build a bigger more powerful tractor out of a 1450 cub cadet . Some of my stuff is heavy .
    Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

you know, I have a manual transmission for that car..... just sayin'.... while you're at it.

That said, please, lots of pictures - I'm thinking about putting a turbo 3.6 in my 2006 CTS - and am really curious about where the wiring and such goes because I'll have to integrate...
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
        you know, I have a manual transmission for that car..... just sayin'.... while you're at it.

That said, please, lots of pictures - I'm thinking about putting a turbo 3.6 in my 2006 CTS - and am really curious about where the wiring and such goes because I'll have to integrate...
        I tried to get him to just throw a 5.3 in it but he really wanted to just have it back on the road. I had an 06 STS that I really liked. After driving this CTS I can see why people like them. I do miss the old Eldorado though. Still had some of that isolated couch feel to it.

Comment

So this is a low mileage 3.6L from a 2014 ATS. Think it would be real close to what's in the same year CTS? After all it does cross reference out correctly in junk yards... It would be interesting to see the turbo version in this car like SuperBuickGuy said above. Those heads probably lend themselves well to bolting a turbo directly to each side.

Name:	20220611_170432.jpg-comp.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	707.0 KB
ID:	1324247

Other than a few pictures of some pain in the ass bolts I don't have many of the removal process. Let me tell you though. The dealer takes these things out of the bottom for a reason. The biggest one is the transmission bell housing bolts.

Name:	20220618_183236.jpg-comp.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	319.3 KB
ID:	1324248

This son of a bitch right here... This bell housing bolt/stud is dead center at the top of the back of the engine. You can't get to it under the car since there is zero clearance. From the top, you have to remove the upper intake, The crazy thermostat housing on the BACK of the engine, the lines that go behind the engine for the heater and radiator, and various other arm cutting components. That stud sticking out meant you were using a wrench to turn it a half a flat at a time. I did put the bolt back when the engine went back in but I cut off the stud as it wasn't used for anything other than to piss me off.

Name:	20220618_163843.jpg-comp.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	253.6 KB
ID:	1324249

I bet a 5.3 would be easier to work on too... Just sayin'.

Name:	20220618_183329.jpg-comp.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	589.8 KB
ID:	1324250

So here we have our two engines. The one on the left is the old one, you can see that bastard thermostat housing sitting on the intake. The one on the right, ready to have the accessories swapped over to it. But wait.... Can you spot the differences yet? I'll give you a minute....

Name:	20220623_184241.jpg-comp.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	846.0 KB
ID:	1324251

Comment

Is it my imagination or is the balancer different? Three spokes vs. six spokes?
            Last edited by CTX-SLPR; August 10, 2022, 08:09 AM.
            Central TEXAS Sleeper
            USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

everything associated with the Front wheel drive ATS... Hollander Lied
              Last edited by silver_bullet; August 10, 2022, 08:33 AM.
              Patrick & Tammy
              - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

ATS is RWD or AWD? I had heard the 3.6 was not a reliable engine?
                http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Russell View Post
                  Sorry, I thought ATS was a front driver.... since the standard engine was a 2.0
                  Patrick & Tammy
                  - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by Russell View Post
                    RWD

3.6 is fine, just don't run it out of oil. Also, early ones had the classic tensioner issue (but fixed 2006ish)

Comment

Originally posted by Skeptical View Post

I tried to get him to just throw a 5.3 in it but he really wanted to just have it back on the road. I had an 06 STS that I really liked. After driving this CTS I can see why people like them. I do miss the old Eldorado though. Still had some of that isolated couch feel to it.
                      the benefit of the turbo 3.6.... 420 hp (and it bolts and plugs into your car).... mine, it bolts but doesn't plug....

I dropped the motor out from the bottom - but it's not all lollipops and unicorns... the wiring harness must go a specific way or you won't get it to plug in (OR it'll be way too long and get warmed by the exhaust manifold)
                      Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; August 10, 2022, 11:01 AM.

Comment

There was an ATS V at Sick Week. I assume it was a 3.6 turbo. It looked like a pain to work on. 420 would be fun,. 271 runs out of fun sometimes.

PB 60' 1.49
                        ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by CTX-SLPR View Post
                          Is it my imagination or is the balancer different? Three spokes vs. six spokes?
                          You're on the right track for one of several differences. The ATS balancer is about twice as long and takes two belts.

So the main differences between the to engines are the timing cover, balancer, oil filter housing (more on that later), and belt tensioner.

So the timing cover..... has several differences. Tensioner location was different and the water pump sticks out about an inch further. To get the timing cover off, you have to remove something like 30 bolts or so from the valve covers and the timing cover itself (plus the cam actuator solenoids). GM must have gotten a bulk deal on those bolts and the RTV they seal the cover to the block with.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220625_121135.jpg-comp.jpg Views:	0 Size:	897.3 KB ID:	1324273

After swapping the covers and sealing her all back up with fresh rtv and new seals she plopped back in fairly easily. However....

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220625_174440.jpg-comp.jpg Views:	0 Size:	795.1 KB ID:	1324274

While trying to bolt up the power steering pump I discovered that it was running into something and missed bolting to the block by about an 1/8 of an inch. Notice the black marks on the oil filter housing....

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220627_201431.jpg-comp.jpg Views:	0 Size:	518.8 KB ID:	1324275

Turns out the ATS uses electric power steering and some clown though it would be a good idea to change the oil filter housing..... Below is the CTS housing. Notice the difference?

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220627_201405.jpg-comp.jpg Views:	0 Size:	468.5 KB ID:	1324276

To get the housing off, you have to pull the AC compressor back out which is not the easiest with the engine in thee car..... Here they are side by side. ATS on Left - CTS on Right.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220629_182223.jpg-comp.jpg Views:	0 Size:	366.1 KB ID:	1324277

Getting closer....

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220630_170030.jpg-comp.jpg Views:	0 Size:	985.3 KB ID:	1324278

Back together and running. This thing was also a pig to bleed all the air out of the cooling system. Took a several heating and cooling cycles before it was right. I usually drill a tiny hole in the thermostat to help avoid that but decided not to this time.... Regretted that.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220701_191414.jpg-comp.jpg Views:	0 Size:	781.3 KB ID:	1324279

After a few Speed Limit++ runs up US1 it successfully passed Skepticals endurance challenge.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220702_125057.jpg-comp.jpg Views:	0 Size:	730.6 KB ID:	1324280

As an added bonus, the socket for the oil level indicator was broken on the new engine. Want to know how to replace that? You have to pull the pan because the sensor is replaced from the inside...... Fortunately the terminals were still there so I was able to make it work. Wasn't about to pull the pan after all that....
                          Last edited by Skeptical; August 10, 2022, 12:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

RWD

3.6 is fine, just don't run it out of oil. Also, early ones had the classic tensioner issue (but fixed 2006ish)
                            The early ones used oil but the low oil warning system didn't alert the driver soon enough if I recall correctly. This caused excessive timing chain wear which gives that patented timing chain noise on cold starts and throws cam/crank sync codes.
                            Last edited by Skeptical; August 10, 2022, 12:28 PM.

Comment

As a ford guy that's bought a few Chevys lately, I think GM must have hired some ford engineers, and I don't trust GM's oil life meter. I think 40% is about the right time to change it.

I have heard 4.2 and now 3.6 have oil issues.issues
                              I am currently enjoying the 2.0T and 6.0 in the fleet.

PB 60' 1.49
                              ​​​​​​

Comment

Working...
                              X