Bloverlanding - 86 Blazer build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bloverlanding - 86 Blazer build

This has been a long time in coming but I've always wanted a camper on a Blazer... of course, everyone wants at least a first born and perhaps a second round choice too - and since I don't have children, that's pretty much out.

so welcome to Blover

1986 Blazer
    remarkable how good the interior looks in pictures... trust me, it's not

but the great thing.... it's a diesel

I'm still smarting over the fact that I paid more than all of the diesel Suburban's I've bought, combined.... of course, I've owned 4 and never paid more than $200.... but still

anyway, it'll be a day or two but first step will be to see if it runs... it should...
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Nice! Will it get a turbo and a third pedal?
    http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
    1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
    ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Russell View Post
      Nice! Will it get a turbo and a third pedal?
      turbo yes, 5 speed, probably

Comment

Question. What are the most comfortable leather, heated, power truck seats?

The answer is probably Recaro at $5000 EACH but Ford? Dodge? Toyota? Kia? I don't care where they come from - and I say truck because until very recently truck seats don't have side airbags....

Comment

I have not ridden in that many different trucks. I have spent many miles in the '01-05 Chevy suburbans they are one of my favorite. At work we have some '14-16 F-150s the version (work truck) we have are not leather, power or heated but they are comfortable.
          Last edited by Russell; September 14, 2022, 06:39 AM.

PB 60' 1.49
          ​​​​​​

Comment

This looks promising: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZF8Dc0ovkM
            Patrick & Tammy
            - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

I've met Merrick and think he's a pretty nice guy.... who has a voice only slightly worse then fingernails on a chalkboard.... is there a transcript of his seat bracket video?

Comment

I have not ridden in that many different trucks. I have spent many miles in the '01-05 Chevy suburbans they are one of my favorite. At work we have some '14-16 F-150s the version (work truck) we have are not leather, power or heated but they are comfortable.
                I should say, I also want something that's supportive but also adjustable so that you don't slide into the passenger seat on a slight sidehill....

Comment

wonder when FGZ is going to notice what a sweet Blazer looks like.... probably still trying to figure out to run the 2 wires on his chopper....
                  Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; September 14, 2022, 08:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

.... is there a transcript of his seat bracket video?
                    Kind of just mute it and watch it in Death Bob mode (sorry Bob). Aka closed captions.

PB 60' 1.49
                    ​​​​​​

Comment

Kind of just mute it and watch it in Death Bob mode (sorry Bob). Aka closed captions.

from here on it's DB mode.

Comment

I've met Merrick and think he's a pretty nice guy.... who has a voice only slightly worse then fingernails on a chalkboard.... is there a transcript of his seat bracket video?
                        I've had a couple of these so it interests me . I'll probably never have another since they are either a rusty mess or they are like gold . So, I clicked the youtube link . I found the voice no more iritating than the guy on DD Speed shop . A iritating voice would be Randy Probst . Although with his excitement , knowledge, and personality, you just have to watch anyway .
                        Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

wonder when FGZ is going to notice what a sweet Blazer looks like.... probably still trying to figure out to run the 2 wires on his chopper....
                          hey, i resemble that remark...

nice blazer. too bad its the stinky slow 6.2
                          although they will run forever and a day.

id HIGHLY recommend swapping to 8 lug
                          axles, the 1/2 tons ive broke even with smallblock
                          and tiny 31" tires. usually the fronts are direct swap,
                          the rear may need leaf spring pads if it came off
                          a dually, utillity truck, flatbed, etc.

the best way is find an old 3/4 or 1 ton in a wrecking yard
                          even a military one is fine. i "think" if the rear leaf pack
                          has an overload on the top then it "should' be a posi/4.56 ratio.

the dana 60 rear is bulletproof but the corporate 14 is
                          bomb proof, though it weighs like 300lbs more and hangs
                          down a LOT more so clearance might be an issue...
                          but thats what lift kits and big tires are for.

oh, and whether you go stick or auto, sh#tcan that 700R4
                          if it has one, before it leaves you stranded. because its
                          not IF, its WHEN.... i mean, a trans with a 260ftlb max
                          torque rating in a 5000lb truck--what could possibly go wrong....

Comment

Originally posted by fatguyzinc View Post

hey, i resemble that remark...

nice blazer. too bad its the stinky slow 6.2
                            although they will run forever and a day.

id HIGHLY recommend swapping to 8 lug
                            axles, the 1/2 tons ive broke even with smallblock
                            and tiny 31" tires. usually the fronts are direct swap,
                            the rear may need leaf spring pads if it came off
                            a dually, utillity truck, flatbed, etc.

the best way is find an old 3/4 or 1 ton in a wrecking yard
                            even a military one is fine. i "think" if the rear leaf pack
                            has an overload on the top then it "should' be a posi/4.56 ratio.

the dana 60 rear is bulletproof but the corporate 14 is
                            bomb proof, though it weighs like 300lbs more and hangs
                            down a LOT more so clearance might be an issue...
                            but thats what lift kits and big tires are for.

oh, and whether you go stick or auto, sh#tcan that 700R4
                            if it has one, before it leaves you stranded. because its
                            not IF, its WHEN.... i mean, a trans with a 260ftlb max
                            torque rating in a 5000lb truck--what could possibly go wrong....
                            you did notice that I'm putting the NV4500 in it?

I probably even have the U-bolts for a 3/4 ton swap... and already in the plan because of slide-in camper and the desire to use it for race-tow duty. This isn't my way-out-in-the-boonies 4x4 ..... fire roads and maybe a rock-strewn path is the worst it will see.

3 or 4" lift and flares so I can fix the same tire that's under my '40 on it (39ish).

stinky, but with the turbo, it'll outrun a 350, pull as hard as a 454 and sip the fuel.... dumbest swap I ever did was a 6.2 out and a 400 in. 1/2 the mpg, but less torque. A turbo fixes all that ails a 6.2.
                            Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; September 14, 2022, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Patrick & Tammy
                              - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Working...
                              X