Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

..... the 4L80 is so much better of a trans then a 700r4

good one.... oh, wait---you were serious?!?!?!!!

uhhhhh.................... see that "E" in the name "4L80E"?
    theres your sign.... although i will admit that yes, at least
    it IS better than either a 700R4 or its "E" equivalent, the 4L60E......

but thats like saying its better to eat the old dried cow turd
    rather than a dog turd-- because at least the cow turd is organic.......

th350, th400, or manual trans. anything else would be uncivilized.
    on the other hand as always your car/your money.
    Last edited by fatguyzinc; October 1, 2022, 10:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by fatguyzinc View Post

good one.... oh, wait---you were serious?!?!?!!!

uhhhhh.................... see that "E" in the name "4L80E"?
      theres your sign.... although i will admit that yes, at least
      it IS better than either a 700R4 or its "E" equivalent, the 4L60E......

but thats like saying its better to eat the old dried cow turd
      rather than a dog turd-- because at least the cow turd is organic.......

th350, th400, or manual trans. anything else would be uncivilized.
      on the other hand as always your car/your money.
      don't be afraid of E. well, since you have troubles with 2 wires, maybe your should avoid anything which doesn't respond to giddeeup

with that said, I may still go with my plan of nv4500.... but we will see... right now I'm chasing down a dana 60/14bolt combo
      Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; October 1, 2022, 09:39 PM.
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I'm chasing down a dana 60/14bolt combo
        thats one of the best mods for k5 or k10 6 lug pick-ups,
        cause ive broken the stock10/12 bolts with a small block
        and 31's.... those 8 lug axles are dang near indestructable,
        that corporate 14 is a dragger though-- hangs down
        like 3 inches more than a rear dana 60.

HOWEVER that being said its pretty much bomb proof, with
        stock wheel bearings you can wear like bracelets and
        a10.5" ring, 35 spline shafts at 1.5", and 1/4" thick tubes, etc....
        when you try to pick it up, you'll know, its like 300 pounds (seriously)
        more than the stock 10 or 12 bolt rear....

if you can find an old military 4x4 squarebody, even the 3/4 ton
        D44HD front axle is extremely well built. and if its got a separate
        overload leaf on top of the rear spring pack, it "should" be a 4.56 posi unit...

finally something we can agree on, hah hah....

p.s.-- i still want that roof spoiler.... its so ghetto phaaaaabulousssss.....
        Last edited by fatguyzinc; October 1, 2022, 11:55 PM.

Comment

the ones I'm looking at are 4.56 with limited slip front, locker rear (not gov-loc) and brand new inside.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	doitnow.png
Views:	107
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	1326870

do it. do it now. do it. DO IT.

Comment

I know where there's a (Dodge) Dana 80 4.11 locker cheap. It's available because of how much I didn't like it in my truck...the only time it's driving both wheels is when one has slipped enough for the other to catch. Long uphill curvy roads sucked, on the highway you always got the nose pulling one way or the other based on what clicks you were in between. Re: the locker/posi scheme I'm much happier with the limited slip in back and the locker up front as I did on the Cherokee. On a tough uphill the limited slip grips tight, the front locker which is only a factor w/ 4wd engaged lets a wheel hang in the air or whatever and keeps pulling with the other.

Comment

I'm not really a fan of a locker in the back of a short wheel base.. which is why I haven't yet snapped these up, I'd rather selectable lockers. It works in my '40 because it's not a long distance rig - this Blazer is meant to go long distances, comfortably - not locking up on a hard decel and making me go backwards (it's description is so accurate that one might think I know of which I speak - in that hypothetical it was zoo hill in Portland and swapping ends in the sweeper before the tunnels on a wet day. On 44s, with no roll cage in a 74).

And seriously - this is meant to be what I had hoped (unrealistically) for the '40. A/C, cruise, power windows, and a bed in the back... good mileage being key here.... which is another reason that I'm considering what axles and how tall I want to go... a 14 bolt rear (or 60 like I built for the '40) is good juju but there won't be a day when I'll get beyond what the 44 is in the FJ40. Also, in that vein, I can put the pumpkin on the other side by using a Ford HP dana 60 front (because of t-case options with either the 4l80e or the nv4500).... sure, weaker knuckles but popular, cheap... might even steal the coil front suspension for the Blazer because they do ride a lot better.

zeroing in on this
                350 hp 500 ft torque, 20 mpg, 6" lift, 37s, but E load range so I can tow with it (and be more immune from rocks through the sidewalls). I'm rejoining SAR - so using this as my tow rig for SAR gear (snowmobiles, motorcyles, '40, etc) makes a tremendous amount of sense.... and never fear, my wife really does like the 'burb so I guess that's staying in the fleet....
                Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; October 2, 2022, 09:57 PM.

Comment

For a tow rig I really think the rear selectable locker is the way to go, despite the cost. Again with the steep curvy roads, having nothing at all interfere with differential action* during such use is the best (especially towing a load), and then to have the locker for that 2% of the time you really need it beats posi in those events. When I did my Blazer (traded-off before completion) I used a six-lug c-clip 14-bolt with an air locker due to those thoughts. As far as the front locker vs. limited-slip, I suppose that on flat ground in mud the posi would be fine...our rough, slippery desert hill climbs around here have the locker at an advantage and again when disengaged it's not a factor except for some binding/clunking in parking lots.

*My opinion on rr lockers having been stated, even posi at the rear can suck. Hwy 299 between the Coast and Redding CA in my BB El Camino w/ camper shell and a load of stuff...years ago...by the time we rolled into town after a full day of hills and tight corners (hardly any straight road) the rear was clunking and pulling us this-way-and-that, tearing it down later showed clutch plates burned black-and-blue. I can't imagine how hot the oil got back there due to the posi having to fight every corner.

Map, which doesn't do it justice:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hwy299.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	1326889

Comment

And "one more thing" (I've been watching old Columbo episodes), after we took our 5th-wheel travel trailer through Mt. Lassen in '18, with steep hills with lots of curves, and having the rear locker, BOTH E-rated rear tires failed at the sidewall within the next few weeks (and at the most inopportune times). Too weird since they were otherwise in good shape and the fronts did fine. Eventually I attributed (i.e., IMO) that to basically the one inside tire having to pull the total load of truck and trailer each time a corner was encountered on Lassen. I know that for heavy truck tires, how much torque a tire has to take and for how long, such as during a pull up the Grapevine, is a major consideration along with the weight as a lot of stress and heat is produced. Anyhow, that's when I started watching CL for an open D-80 rear end. I -may- spring for a selectable locker at some point if they're available, for my truck I will not go back to either limited slip or full-locker.

Comment

all good points - I agree with the notion of 2% of the time, but with that said, as they quip, the difference between 4wd and 2wd is 10 feet.... which is true, but those 10 feet are the difference between walking 20 miles or driving home. I may use a true track in the back as well, no clutches... my issue with lockable is they are really harsh in operation.

Trinity Lake, every year for a decade over July 4th weekend we'd go there and water ski with a dozen other families. The twisties were interesting but the hill into the Lake from Redding was entertaining in a motorhome towing a 19' jet boat - you had two choices: lock out the surge brakes on the trailer and take your chances, or leave them working and have them smoking/burning when you got to the bottom of the hill.... good times

oh and you reminded me.... I hope this wasn't you.... we'd always go into town for the 4th of July fireworks, load as many people as possible in the fewest vehicles possible. While going into town a 67-72 El Camino didn't correct out of a corner and went off the road into the water. Guy got out but was so lit that he didn't know if anyone else was in the car.. missed us by 60' on his way across the road... of course back then, that was a ticket and a ride home by the sheriff...
                      Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; October 3, 2022, 07:04 AM.

Comment

.... I hope this wasn't you....
                        Yeah I always wondered what happened to my first wife and her mother...

edit: Kidding!
                        Last edited by Loren; October 3, 2022, 10:22 AM.

Comment

I'm a little disappointed that we really didn't get to vote on the two power plants . While I think you made the wise choice, I'm a sucker for almost normal , oddball engines . I've had two 90s LT1 engines still have the one in the vette , And the thought of a huge BBC with LS style heads and a manual overdrive trans is really interesting. And someone makes a efi intake that allows it to make power past 3500 rpm . I know it's not the smartest choice but I'd like one in the vette with my 6 speed manual .
                          Last edited by Dan Barlow; October 3, 2022, 03:56 PM.
                          Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

..........- not locking up on a hard decel and making me go backwards (it's description is so accurate that one might think I know of which I speak - in that hypothetical it was zoo hill in Portland and swapping ends in the sweeper before the tunnels on a wet day. On 44s, with no roll cage in a 74).

oh yes, the achillies heel of spools and lockers. in a downhill turn, lett off gas (so rear unloads and locks )
                            and *WHEEEEEEEEEEEEE* its mr toads wild ride time. amazing that with short wheelbase and 44s you
                            kept it right side up (thankfully!)---must be those hella stiff 12" springs that saved you......... wait, why didnt you
                            like stiff springs again? cant remember, some whiney namby pamby reason like "comfort" or something......

Last edited by fatguyzinc; October 3, 2022, 02:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by fatguyzinc View Post

oh yes, the achillies heel of spools and lockers. in a downhill turn, lett off gas (so rear unloads and locks )
                              and *WHEEEEEEEEEEEEE* its mr toads wild ride time. amazing that with short wheelbase and 44s you
                              kept it right side up (thankfully!)---must be those hella stiff 12" springs that saved you......... wait, why didnt you
                              like stiff springs again? cant remember, some whiney namby pamby reason like "comfort" or something......

this coming from the guy who put his cool Blazer back to stock....

Comment

they're bought, picking them up Thursday.

Dana 60 front, yukon limited slip, 4.56 gears, spring eliminator, high steer, new brakes
                                Corp 14 bolt rear, detroit locker (ugh!!!) 4.56 gears, disk brake conversion, later 14 bolt housing (same as what's in my 'burb), wider spring perches from a van - which is good since I'll use this as opportunity to do a shackle flip on the rear... paid far less than the cost of a passenger drop dana 60 for both axles

haven't decided transfer case yet... probably a 208 with a slip yoke eliminator and pto takeoff.... not as 'tough' as a 205 or 203 but several hundred pounds lighter and more then adequate for what I'm doing.

Comment

Working...
                                X