No announcement yet.

Bloverlanding - 86 Blazer build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ordered a different panhard bar mount... I looked at these - neat idea but way too complex for something I want to last 100k miles
    how annoying, I'm going to have to look for the pictures on my travelling computer... sometimes things don't upload and other times the camera just simply doesn't take the picture... I probably took 20 pictures of the system because it's very complex but solves a problem that the SEMA trucks have... that is, they want variable height but be able to drive it whatever height...
    this is the back of that system

basically they replace the shackle with a part that expands but still works as a shackle... quite complex and fun engineering.... but I also don't hate the SEMA trucks. wouldn't own one but admire the tech and problem solving (which is the same as low riders trying to make hydraulics work and still have a suspension).... not my cup of tea but impressive no matter the style.

this is what I'm copying

except pumpkin is on the other side

hog out the holes for larger bolts

install ubolts

test fit successful

next up for the rear is going to be traction bars, but first I want to finish the front.... in that vein, waiting for parts...
    and work on the 4 post lift... 6 hour assembly - must be because there are no instructions.... smh.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Springs... think they're from a F350 van... whatever, they're a good first start because I already have them

got another top with sliding windows for it... cheap cheap

and got the bracket today for the panhard the shifts it forward... waiting for the steering box before I put this together, but that should be here tomorrow...

for those counting, I already bought a steering box... it's the wrong one, not sure what it fits but not this.... goes on the inside of the frame rail...

Comment

• pretty sure for the cross steer they use a 73-87 2wd c10 box...

Comment

• Originally posted by fatguyzinc View Post
          pretty sure for the cross steer they use a 73-87 2wd c10 box...
          it's what I ordered... apparently they believed I needed something different.... and honestly, no idea what it's from.... hopefully it's something rare I can ebay for the BIG bux

Comment

• while you got that top off....

Amazon.com: APDTY 154586 Inner & Outer Header Seals; Bed Seals : Automotive

i used this myself, not OEM but still seemed like good quality to me.
            i mean, its already off, why wouldnt you change seals--unless theyre
            100% perfect....

and the sliders are awesome, i swear they improve cabin airflow by
            approximately 10 billion percent....

Comment

• Originally posted by fatguyzinc View Post
              while you got that top off....

Amazon.com: APDTY 154586 Inner & Outer Header Seals; Bed Seals : Automotive

i used this myself, not OEM but still seemed like good quality to me.
              i mean, its already off, why wouldnt you change seals--unless theyre
              100% perfect....

and the sliders are awesome, i swear they improve cabin airflow by
              approximately 10 billion percent....
              I need to buy seals for all of it - thx

and the steering box..... it was 'recalled' by the seller.... its replacement is $40 more.... oh and another week out....

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                Question. What are the most comfortable leather, heated, power truck seats?

I waited till we got one and took it on a 1800 mile road trip . The seats in our 2016 denali are very comfortable and the have heating and cooling . I can sit in them all day without getting sore .

Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

• Found a pic Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20221113-081918_Gallery_copy_1110x540.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	1328797
                  Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

• I may, yet, use seats like those... but one thing at a time.. I have seats that will work ... for now.

Comment

• finally getting to the nuts and bolts of this

starting the hardest task - getting the rivets out

give the frame its second clean

upsize a few holes

tack the bits together for test fitting

test fit

need the steering box...

the axle will move a bit forward, maybe even 2"... and the coil spring mount isn't designed to go this way.... so sue me

other then the length difference, right idea

ordered a bunch of parts today.... studs for the heads on the motor, fluid damper for it as well. New turbo, new 92-93 injection pump

why the new pump... well, 2 reasons, first the current pump is 24v but second...in 92 and 93 GM didn't use PCMs with the turbo motors... thus still a one-wire operation... while it's not a perfect system since the lift pump is an electric pump - it doesn't have an electronics board to fail.... and as the fundamental on this rig is 'stone cold reliability'... well, there it is.... not a cheap, there it is, but certainly a good enough one....

Comment

• axle bracket time... first, conceptualize

explanation

I could have welded the brackets to the tube - not the cast steel of the housing - however, that'd put the arms outside the frame and more in harm's way. Also, with this I can simply use GM shocks that are the right length... and no, I'm not afraid of welding to cast steel - I did on my FJ40 and 8 years later, it's still holding just fine.
                        then cad

mark

then cut

then fit

so Amazon ... they 'recalled' the first steering box and now it looks like they're going to do it again.... it hasn't been sent .... fme.The problem is I need a box to continue mounting brackets...

Comment

• Lots of parts arriving

time to start checking clearances

hmm, think I need to use a different panhard mount

better.. also new steering box is in place

Comment

• SBC,
                            I Gotta Love that you are Going To Sacrifice ALL This on OFF ROAD Trails !!!!
                            Nothing Gets you like "Free Ranging Trees" and "Alligator Boulders" waiting to Strike out of that 18" deep Creek Crossing...........

Hey, Ya Hozer, I'm On Your Side !!!!
                            IT AIN'T A REAL SPORT....
                            UNLESS THERE'S DIRT IN YOUR BEER !!

Waiting for the Finished Rig

Comment

• Originally posted by Captain View Post
                              SBC,
                              I Gotta Love that you are Going To Sacrifice ALL This on OFF ROAD Trails !!!!
                              Nothing Gets you like "Free Ranging Trees" and "Alligator Boulders" waiting to Strike out of that 18" deep Creek Crossing...........

Hey, Ya Hozer, I'm On Your Side !!!!
                              IT AIN'T A REAL SPORT....
                              UNLESS THERE'S DIRT IN YOUR BEER !!

Waiting for the Finished Rig
                              people were quite upset that I take the FJ40 out playing in the woods.... I don't get that - I don't build showcars.
                              Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; November 20, 2022, 08:34 AM.

Comment

• I love it when my crap actually isn't... that dirty pump on top is a $400 core. yay

for those 2 who wonder at these dimensions... NV4500 4wd depth

dimension for the 208

overall measurement is exactly the same as the 700r4/208 combo

do they call this stack height?

I could go this tall... but no....

steering wouldn't be terrible... hmmm...

Comment

Working...
                                X