Clear All

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
    you asked... this
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	227
Size:	509.3 KB
ID:	1326759
    That's the idea, only with the Mini's fenders and the tires tucked under them, mostly. I'm picturing flares like 70's and 80's era IMSA shadow sedans had. Maybe I will park the in/out box for a Powerglide. 1 less pedal still, and sort of driveable... maybe?

Comment

automatic, for when you get old....
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
        automatic, for when you get old....
        So his wife can drive him around town when his Back Goes Out Again.......... After he tries to get in it.......
        Last edited by Captain; September 30, 2022, 06:26 AM. Reason: Interrupted by a phone call

Comment

Now if this ends up a go, I'm thinking that I should lengthen the wheelbase, probably to at least 100 inches. A stock Mini is only 80 inches. Interestingly, the midget quick change rear is almost a perfect fit for track width. If it gets longer, I'm going to need advice, help, encouragement, kibitzing, and the usual banter between us, to get it close to right. The underneath stuff not so hard, I'm okay at making that stuff. As dan can attest, the basics of sheetmetal fabrication I can handle, making it look good... not so much!

Another thing, should it become a Mini Cabriolet (Continental speak for a convertible). Minis were made that way, and some made it into Canada, so the later body, the 74, could have been. It wasn't, but that's beside the point. It would be easier if it were to become something to go fast in...

Decisions, decisions, decisions! Sonny is becoming increasingly difficult to define

Comment

Some ruminating over the choice of wheels for Sonny leads me to ask the BS assembly for some assistance. To whit: 13 inch wheels. Let's assume that Sonny becomes a Mini sort of, and I use that qc as is. It requires 6 pin midget/sprintcar style wheels, with the pins on a 5 inch diameter. That's not the issue. What I'm curious about is tires. Like the Whatever project, I'm going to let the parts drive the concept. In this case, tires.

So what is the opinions of the assembly regarding 13 inch tires, say 6 inches or so tread width, and about 20-22 inch outside diameter. Guys with funny British sports cars like Dan's but running 13 inch wheels must have some ideas.

Once I have some ideas for rear tires, we'll move on to fronts and further definition of the concept of Sonny.

Comment

Lets see ,mini convertible limo......oh man , I know it would take some work but I'd go 15s so let's split the difference and meet at 14' and put a little more brake inside them .
              Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

think t-bucket, but with a mini body

Name:	image.png
Views:	143
Size:	213.2 KB
ID:	1327144
                Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Hmm! I wonder if 6 pin wheels are available in 14 inch size. The Mini front brakes are 7.5 inch diameter and have the neatest little tiny calipers. And they fit over 10 inch wheels. Maybe BIG and little?

Comment

So we've been hogging some of Dan's space in his MGB thread, discussing other stuff, like what Sonny becomes. We've kind of gotten to a stretched wheelbase Mini, 100ish inches, using the quick change rear axle I recently procured. And I'm thinking that I can make a new tube front axle narrowed to get the tires under the fenders. And I am thinking 10 inch front wheels, like a real Mini, and 13 inch rear wheels so some decent tires can be used.

Now regarding the engine: 283 with Hilborns, or a v8-60 with 2 deuces. I know 2 brothers who have a complete stock one, but will have to work some to make a deal. And they will be a good pair to help with the internal structure so it can be NHRA possibly legal. They are drag racing veterans...I tolerate that one character flaw. I think it will better match what I can do these days. No more than 15 seconds at a time... no snarky comments needed

Comment

Last time we were conniving, I mentioned a Min roadster type of thing. Here's where I got the idea from:

Name:	DSCN1726.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	213.9 KB
ID:	1331742 Can you see it? Just stretched out a little bit to make things fit. Yes, I have issues...

Comment

Originally posted by dave.g.in.gansevoort View Post
                        Last time we were conniving, I mentioned a Min roadster type of thing. Here's where I got the idea from:
                        Can you see it? Just stretched out a little bit to make things fit. Yes, I have issues...
                        Yes. Yes you do.

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

Yes. Yes you do.
                          Yes, I have every issue of Hot Rod Deluxe, about 75 percent of the Rodders Journal, many issues of Hot Rod Magazine, and every issue but the first of Open Wheel. So what's your point?

When will the kingpins and spindles be heading this way? Maggie should be out of the hospital Friday, so I'll have a few odd free minutes now and again to spend in the garage.

Comment

Parts are on their way from England so I'll box 'em up and send them along when they arrive. Thanks so much!

Comment

Hey Ya Hozer,

Lookie what I seen for sale !!

Name:	IMG_20230325_111147~2.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	819.7 KB
ID:	1334855

Comment

If I wasn't Belly Deep in the Mad Max Sammy.......
                                this would be a HOOT of a Retro Rat Rod Build !!

Comment

Working...
                                X