Sonny, son of the Whatever project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sonny, son of the Whatever project

Let's have some fun here, helping me define what Sonny becomes. I've been collecting parts as mentioned in the Whatever project posts. I'm going to post a few pictures of the stuff and see what everyone thinks. Far out, wacky, rat rodish, you dream it and I'll consider it, well as long as we stay away from unobtaneum and unaffordium. And I think I'd like to use either a small small block Chevy (283+/-), or a Chevy 2 4-banger or Mercury Marine derivative of same. So here's a few pictures to ponder, elucidate over, or just plain have a nightmare on elm street...

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1615.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	181.4 KB
ID:	1326681 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1613.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	181.0 KB
ID:	1326682 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1595.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	204.5 KB
ID:	1326683 Click image for larger version

Name:	20220614_222520.jpg
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	1326684 Click image for larger version

Name:	20220618_220646.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	390.8 KB
ID:	1326685 Click image for larger version

Name:	20200403_125222.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	940.3 KB
ID:	1326686 Click image for larger version

Name:	20220927_203926.jpg
Size:	670.8 KB
ID:	1326687 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1130.jpg
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	1326688
    More in the next post so it's not too much for this one...

Name:	20220927_205639.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	340.3 KB
ID:	1326690
    One more to come...

Comment

Final picture

Name:	20220927_205931.jpg
Size:	838.2 KB
ID:	1326693 This is not a transmission for those who have never seen old school sprint cars. It's a CAE in/out box assembly, that may or may not be part of Sonny, we'll see!

Comment

Now some incidentals. The quick change rear is 45 inches flange to flange, just right for the width of a Mini. 13 inch midger race car wheels fit and would be similar to the last era of Mini wheels in size. And 13 inch tires are available in many different configurations, so getting tires to fit what we create should not be a problem.

What's with the old Ford front spindles, I hear you ask? I'm thinking a custom tube front axle could be different from the norm in a Mini. My racing background is mainly center steer dirt modifieds. Hence maybe that Schroeder steering box will be in Sonny. This thing could be short, 80 inch wheelbase. Or extended, who can tell.

So just like last night when Maggie had to wake me up from a nightmare, dream on oh denizens of the Bangshift beast!

I'll have more as he develops

Comment

I am Trying to Clear my "Minds Eye".......
          Right now it Sees a Over Horse Powered Clown Car.....

My Bad.....

Comment

But I like the "Leftovers" Car Project......

Comment

Just an Idea, but why not a V6 to shorten overall length? Either old school without the balance shaft, or maybe even this?: https://www.onallcylinders.com/2014/...ree-v6-engine/
              Patrick & Tammy
              - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

This car ran a Buick NASCAR v-6 for a little bit:

Name:	IMG_20220528_0012_NEW.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	425.9 KB
ID:	1326715 We hated the sound! A crate engine bone stock sounded better. That's why... I know, not the best reason. A 4 banger sounds better to me. And Major (remember I thought captain deserved a promotion a while back...) is spot on. It's certainly possible to become a clown car.

Comment

On a further note or 2: do, ray, mee! Seriously, still looking for a Chevy 2 4-banger from Mercury Marine. Better head. And everyone likes... don't go there!

153 or 183 ci will be fine either way. Probably a better choice for Sonny. But I'm also still looking for another 283. Anyone up here in the northeast want to part with one let me know.

And remember, a waste is a terrible thing to mind!

Comment

I'd think about an Ecotec. All aluminum and small enough to fit. Think of it as a poor man's Offy.

Comment

Originally posted by dave.g.in.gansevoort View Post
                      This car ran a Buick NASCAR v-6 for a little bit:

Name:	IMG_20220528_0012_NEW.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	425.9 KB
ID:	1326715 We hated the sound! A crate engine bone stock sounded better. That's why... I know, not the best reason. A 4 banger sounds better to me. And Major (remember I thought captain deserved a promotion a while back...) is spot on. It's certainly possible to become a clown car.
                      Thought about the 2200 in the S10's? I don't know how wild you want to go but those had the 60 degree bellhousing so you have some transmission options. They also get flogged at circle tracks and have plenty of aftermarket support. Eagle has rods H-beam for them for $199 (Up from like $129) and there are cast turbo manifolds that "might" fit as is.

Also since you mentioned hating the Buick V6 sound (Don't really blame you there), the 60 degree 2.8, 3.1, 3.4, 3.9's sound better in my opinion. No balance shafts in those either. The 3.9 is pretty stout in stock form too with all the modern fun stuff like piston oil cooling and junk.

Comment

I can understand the dislike for the sound of many of the V6s out there, but exhaust has quite a bit to do with that issue.... We run a JBA 3" catback on our 2002 Xtreme with Edelbrock mid-length headers, and here's a couple other clips: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUOnXda7-x0
                        Patrick & Tammy
                        - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

All good suggestions. Hooking up to the midget quick change rear will be unique regardless of the engine choice, unless it's a Chevy bellhousing bolt pattern. I have time for decisions, as the Whatever project needs to be done first. I could even consider an MG Midget engine. It's the same basic engine as a Mini engine, and I have lots of parts. Oh well, back to the garage and the whatever project...

Comment

I like everything about putting the sbc and all your bits into the mini . That in and out box is cool , but I thinkbyou need at least 2 speeds but I like manuals so probably at least 3 .
                            Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

you asked... this

Name:	image.png
Views:	227
Size:	509.3 KB
ID:	1326759
                              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Working...
                              X