Mad Max Sammy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mad Max Sammy

​​​​For the start, this is going to be a Two Vehicle Project.

Years ago, about 2014-15, I bought a complete 1988 Samurai as a Parts Donor for the Timber Cruiser, from a friend of my son. It had 68,000 documented miles on it.
    BUT it was/is TOTALLY RUSTED OUT!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0198.jpg
Views:	627
Size:	728.3 KB
ID:	1328917

The previous owner used it as his Winter Daily Driver since new. The salt dissolved it very well !!

We stripped the Low Miles Engine back in 2015-16 during Winter Lay Up and installed it in the Timber Cruiser.

So, needing the space in the Lower Barn, the donor is now in the shop for a Winter Lay Up Project, as we are just going to SawZall ALL the RUSTY parts out, patch metal only the structural parts needed, and make a .......

WASTELAND MAD MAX ATV Trail Rig !!!!

Phase One ...

There are NO BRAKES, or Parking Brake either, which made for some interesting loading on the trailer back when we got it.

Seeing that the Parking Brake handle on the "Timber Cruiser" is just about all the way to it's limit when applied, this is a sign that the rear brake shoes are about Done.

Ordered NEW Everything Brakes, front and rear, for the Timber Cruiser.
    So as we redo the brakes, ALL Salvageable Parts are going onto the Mad Max Sammy.

Started with the front brakes. Mostly because we needed the front calipers off the Mad Max Sammy for the Core Charges.

​​​​Core Charges are getting INSANE, as we cannot get Cheap Cast Iron Forgings from China anymore!! $117.00 core charge for $156.00 calipers....???!!!

Here's the rotor and caliper swapped already onto the Mad Max Sammy.

Name:	IMG_20221115_141613~2.jpg
Views:	602
Size:	671.4 KB
ID:	1328919

Then installed the New and Improved Rotor and Caliper on the Timber Cruiser.

Name:	IMG_20221115_142521~2.jpg
Views:	593
Size:	545.1 KB
ID:	1328920 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20221115_143758~2.jpg
Views:	601
Size:	843.6 KB
ID:	1328921

Comment

The Steering on the Timber Cruiser was needing attention.
      It doesn't have the "Jeep Death Wobble" yet, but its starting to wander in it's lane.
      Ordered a New Cross Link Steering Tie Rod Bars.
      With it on the jack stands, pulled the old ones out.
      As you can see, it is bent from some Off Roading Experience (s).

Name:	IMG_20221115_163215~2.jpg
Views:	617
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	1328923

Everything was coming apart well for a 35 years old rig.

Name:	IMG_20221115_163548~2.jpg
Views:	613
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	1328924

Installed the New set that came All the way from India.
      They are still building these under license there, so many of my replacement parts are coming from there as Suzuki doesn't sell cars in the USA anymore.

Name:	IMG_20221115_173941~2.jpg
Views:	598
Size:	724.5 KB
ID:	1328925 ​​​​​​
      ​​Also in the past, we have had the spline on the steering column at the first knuckle, need to be Tightened Often.
      This last time, I had to weld it to the shaft.
      On the last Parts Safari, found a Picked Over 1990 Samurai, and relieved it of the entire column from the rag joint back.
      Also SURPRISE!!! It had the Keys In it !!
      This will go in when we're done with the brakes.

Comment

Why not simply order up new body parts from England, build a rotisserie, and stock up on welding wire, 18 gauge sheetmetal, and MIG gas and have at it? ........Oh wait, that's me, isn't it?
        Last edited by DanStokes; November 16, 2022, 04:25 PM.

Comment

I'd be afraid your brakes are now better than your rusty panels... one, hard stop and the fenders explode in a cloud of dust in front of you....
          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Patrick & Tammy
            - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Seen something like this using Dollar Store
              Super Glue and Baking Soda.........

Comment

With, the Premise.......
                You Can't Wreck Junk !!!
                We will replace the SawZalled out rust areas
                Using Repurposed "STUFF"......

Spectacular
                Treasures
                of
                Uniquely
                Fantastical
                Finds

Building a Trail Warrior of Magical Metal Menagerie !

Comment

Originally posted by Captain View Post
                  With, the Premise.......
                  You Can't Wreck Junk !!!
                  We will replace the SawZalled out rust areas
                  Using Repurposed "STUFF"......

Spectacular
                  Treasures
                  of
                  Uniquely
                  Fantastical
                  Finds

Building a Trail Warrior of Magical Metal Menagerie !
                  Should I ship you the removed sheetmetal from the MG? You can cut off the rusty bits and use the rest. Or do you have enough of your own partially rusted out stuff?

Comment

Name:	IMG_20221026_121552~2.jpg
Views:	573
Size:	909.7 KB
ID:	1328951
                    Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                    Should I ship you the removed sheetmetal from the MG? You can cut off the rusty bits and use the rest. Or do you have enough of your own partially rusted out stuff?
                    Thank You for Your Most Generous Offer,
                    but I have a Good Supply of Saved Iron and Sheet Steel for these projects.
                    I have "Creative" sources for metal supplies.....
                    ​​​​​​​

Comment

Roofs from full size vans would probably be a good start
                      Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Barlow View Post
                        Roofs from full size vans would probably be a good start
                        LOL.......
                        When the Shaggin Wagon finally Gives Up the Ghost,
                        The Organ Donor Sticker is Already on its Registration Card,
                        And The Title.......
                        That 460 cu in 4 bbl and matching C6 will be designated
                        For another Rod Project!!
                        And whatever we can Cannibalize......
                        Last edited by Captain; November 18, 2022, 08:19 AM. Reason: Grammar,

Comment

The van roof thing in one of my tricks. They have reinforcing ribs pressed into them and the curve at the edges can be made to fit to replace curved areas. I've sacrificed a few van roofs over the years - but be prepared to chip off the glue that holds them on the ribs.

Comment

The last couple of days have been the Second Phase of turning the End Bedroom, (Boys), into a True Guest Room.
                            So the shop projects were on hold.
                            This late afternoon started on the left rear brakes of the Timber Cruiser.
                            Actually they are in Very Good Condition!!

Name:	IMG_20221118_172042~2.jpg
Views:	541
Size:	743.8 KB
ID:	1329035

But staying to Plan, pulled them out set them aside for the Mad Max Sammy.
                            Installed the new parts.
                            Had to modify the NEW brake adjuster/parking brake lever. The parking brake cable Pin hole was Too Small, and the return spring hole to large.
                            Drilled the One open, and used a Rivet as a bushing to reduce the spring hole.
                            The Next issue is that the New Drums, are for a 1989 or newer Sammy.

Name:	IMG_20221118_172448~2.jpg
Views:	551
Size:	1.57 MB
ID:	1329036

They will Work, but they came with No Studs, and the Old Style Drums use a Clipped Head Stud.

Name:	IMG_20221118_172500~2.jpg
Views:	546
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	1329037

I found 5 of the serrated shoulder studs in my Never Out of Style parts supply, and ordered 5 more for the right side. Unfortunately I called the parts house too late to get them tomorrow. Will be in late morning Monday......

I still have to get the Dust/Dirt tin ring off the Old Drum, even though it too will end up on the Mad Max Sammy.
                            Letting the penetrating oil work over night on the 3 screws
                            Will use a Hand Impact tool on the Phillips Screws.
                            If they don't come out, grind'em off.... tomorrow after I get back from the dump run.
                            I have a Trailer load of items not worth the Space Required to save for Any Future Use !!

Comment

Monday was a Circus at the Parts House....
                              Go in for the Wheel Studs.
                              Sparkplugs that I ordered also are there, NO Wheel Studs.......they are on the sales ticket,
                              2 employees looking for the Studs, while the manager is calling the route driver to check if they are still in the delivery van.....

Still no Studs......then the manager says, OH, they're coming out of Sauk City, that driver gets here at 1:00.......

I Come back at 1:30.......
                              NO STUDS.....Now everyone is looking for them, and 2 people on phones calling Sauk City and the Van Driver.......
                              In the chaos, they find out that NO BODY Finished picking the Order on Friday!!!
                              They are on the shelf in the main warehouse.......

They Manager finds enough Studs at two other Stores,
                              Send a Van Driver to go get them, and at 4:00pm, I get a call "There Here!"........

Name:	298088681_10221877242028271_8850522584362181349_n~2.jpg
Views:	538
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	1329230

Then as soon as I get home.....
                              They call again,
                              Sorry, we charged you Twice on your Credit Card.....
                              Once from the Lost Order, and when you picked them up....
                              We are so sorry.....
                              And "We Need You to Bring Your Credit Card so we Can Credit it back......."

Comment

Working...
                              X