No announcement yet.

Mad Max Sammy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yesterday's work was mostly for planning on the Cheesy and CHEAP rear body build up. Remember the Theme is a Waste Land Scrap Built Vehicles with a Little Rat Rod thrown in for Fun.

The Rust Out is INTENSE !! Back Here

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20230120_171448~2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.50 MB ID:	1331720 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20230120_171747~2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.34 MB ID:	1331721

I do have some ideas, but how to do each patch so it attaches to the next piece and using the existing OEM body supports,
    With a order that you don't end up working against yourself,
    ​​​​​​ so you don't build yourself into a blind corner per say and can't, Rivit....weld.....bolt.....etc ....what I have in mind.

And I am Now Going to Let Some of the Magic (Madness) out of the Mad Metalist's Bag !!!!
    I saw a '53 Olds 4 door in one of my Favorite Pick a Part Yards last Late in the Summer. Had this idea burning in my Brain since. And went early December and Retrieved Both Rear Fenders...

So in the size up yesterday, was looking at body lines for the Mount up.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20230120_170544~2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.43 MB ID:	1331722

This was a 4 Door,.....this fender is almost 5 ft long !
    There is Plenty of material to move it in any direction.
    And it lines up on where the inner panel of the Sammy mounts. Note the front will come way in when cut out at the roll bar and "Targa Bar" . Then trimmed to the rear of the door jam.

So on my Groceries Run to Town today, will stop by the Hardware/Appliance store for a "Upload" of CAD material.
    Last edited by Captain; January 21, 2023, 07:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain View Post
      So, now that the Holidays are over, and my "Beater with a Heater" the Shaggin Wagon, is patched up to keep running,
      I can get back to business on the Mad Max Sammy.

With only two 10mm wrench size bolts, and the Door Hinge holding the Left Fender on, .....OFF it came !
      Put it in our Walk Out Horizontal Storage Facility. (the area behind the shop) later some minor reinforcement pieces will be added when we put it back on.

Cut another Gapping Hole to add to the Patch Panel Work Order.
      Looking at the rot - were those made in England?

Comment

Yesterday's work was productive. I should have taken more pictures, as the ones I have don't make it look like much was done.

First was some work bench clearing projects.
        Saturday went on a Parts Safari for some body moldings for the Shaggin Wagon. Found some other STUFF besides the moldings.
        You never know what you will find in Junk Yards !
        Found this 30 cal. Ammo can and a Good Steel Wheel Chock.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20230121_174320~2.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	866.2 KB
ID:	1331848

Cleaned up both, primed both with Rusty Metal Primer, and painted the inside of the Ammo Can White, and the wheel chock too.

Then, cleaned these up....... again you never know what you will find ....... STUFF
        Spectacular. Treasures. of Uniquely. Fantastical. Finds.

Name:	IMG_20230121_173654~2.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	748.4 KB
ID:	1331849 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20230121_174032~2.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	795.9 KB
ID:	1331850

And I bought this too. Only because I have a Real M216 1/4 ton trailer to match my Flat Fender CJ-3A Jeep.

Name:	IMG_20230121_173905.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	978.0 KB
ID:	1331851

Comment

So after the work bench Recess of cleaning those up, moved onto the Mad Max Sammy.

Put the reinforcement tin for the rear inner fenders.

Name:	IMG_20230123_175436~2.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	966.2 KB
ID:	1331855

Then cut out MORE Iron Oxidation....

Name:	IMG_20230123_175510~2.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	1331856

There is a plan unfolding here. Today from the right side, there is enough metal left to make some CAD patterns for the inner fenders, wheel openings to be transferred to the '53 Olds Fenders, and the meeting points for the to be made rocker panels, the new wheel wells, and reinforcement steel for the roll bar to be reinstalled later.

Name:	IMG_20230123_174913~2.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	825.8 KB
ID:	1331857

Made the patch for that First Hole we started after pulling the right front Fender. Goobered it up with Cheap Sealant type that comes in caulk size tubes.....and pop rivets all around,
          "Good Enough For The Fat Chicks I Hang Around With"!
          ​​​​​

Comment

Today was mostly making Card Stock and Cardboard patterns.
            Did get one piece fabricated. This is the Inside Rear Panel which originally vinyl covered upholstery board.
            It is going to be the top mounting bracket for the '53 Olds Fender. And additional support for the inner fender. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20230124_175541~2.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	799.2 KB
ID:	1331876

Tomorrow will mark the bolt holes, and finish trim to the fender.

Name:	IMG_20230124_181616~2.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	787.5 KB
ID:	1331877

Comment

Progress!

Comment

Removed the rear bumper, and tested the Tail Light Socket and extended the wires.
                Then set up the Bead Roller on the Vise Stand.

Name:	IMG_20230125_104014~2.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	826.0 KB
ID:	1331938

Put some strengthening beads in the inner panel.

Name:	IMG_20230125_122208~2.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	1331939

Marked and Drilled the holes to mount it to the body

Name:	IMG_20230125_123526~2.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	773.3 KB
ID:	1331940 ​​​​

Comment

Held metal bending up over the last several days.
                  Decided to get the brakes finished before I build things in the way. It will be easier to get those rear brakes taken care of now without fenders etc. In the way.
                  I have had the New Brake parts here for over a month or so.

A typical problem with Sammy rear brake drums is they rust weld themselves to the axle flange. Plenty of Presoaking with the Penetrant of Your Choice, a BFH, and a Torch......
                  45 minutes of Compound Cussing and Hammer, Pry Bar and some more Choice Language per side,....they will come off.

Name:	IMG_20230127_110013~2.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	1332105

Did Ya see that pile of Rust from the brake shoes.....

New Wheel Cylinders, Spring Kit, and the Almost New Shoes from the Timber Cruiser. (Read previously in this post)
                  And a generous application of Anti Seize on the axle flange.

AND TO NOTE: Any current or future Sammy owners, make sure your Parts Counter Person is Brought AWARE That there is a LEFT SIDE and RIGHT SIDE Wheel Cylinders!! Some engineer designed the Right Cylinder will not have a "Bleeder". ​​​​​It has two brake lines, and the top line crossed over to the Left Cylinder which has a "Bleeder"...

Name:	IMG_20230127_154340~2.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	1332106

Have been Presoaking all the other brake line fittings and frame clamps. Measured all the lines to be replaced and looking at Monday while doing the Grocery Store run to get the new lines.

Comment

Have been getting the brake lines replaced on the Mad Max. Also had to replace the fuel line. And installed a electric fuel pump too.
                    Some of this was while working on the Shaggin Wagon issues.
                    Had to replace the Auto Trans Cooler lines as one had rusted thru. Needed to remove the front grill to get at the cooler.
                    New Steel lines, and then since this is my work mule truck,
                    And have other Ideas for it.......
                    ​​​​​​Decided to save the original grill for the Marrakesh Express in case I blast a Deer, or Turkey ....
                    So dug thru my STUFF out in the barns, and came up with this Grill Replacement.

The bottom is from a '56 Fairlane.
                    The top strip is from a Good Guess. It was in a pile of body moulding pieces.

So after a good shop clean up and moderate reorganizing,
                    Will get back at the Mad Max. I have some saved rear shocks in my NOS parts room, and ordered new front shocks which were delivered yesterday.
                    Then, for a while, the Crawling Under It, and cleaning the shop floor with my coveralls, should be done for a while.

​​​​​​​I will try to remember to get more pictures as I am making progress.

Comment

Didn't get the grill pic.....

Comment

Name:	IMG_20230209_143959~2.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	1332673

Here Dan, I posted the Shaggin Wagon again
                        ​​​​​​

Comment

Here Dan, I posted the Shaggin Wagon again
                          The grille looks sorta reasonable. I won't tell.

Comment

I will try to remember to get more pictures as I am making progress.

Comment

I'm looking for something for trim to go around the head lights. I have a couple of ideas. But nothing the right size yet.

Comment

Have not posted anything lately.
                                Was on a Marathon Mission to get all
                                Maintenance issues, and any under vehicle, or lifting work done before last Tuesday.

Had some out patient surgery done to fix a spot on the left
                                center of my back. Things that happen when you
                                Are Young and Think YOU Are Invincible........
                                WILL Come BACK to Haunt You when you Get OLD.....
                                I'm just a Slow Learner !! I still just get Right Back On Motorcycles.....

So, I'm on "Light Duty" until next week Tuesday.
                                But, time is nothing to waist !
                                Tax paperwork, and started sorting out 5+ years of pictures to put in Albums.
                                Monster, I didn't take Pictures of Piles of Pictures and show programs, That would be Redundantly, Redundant.....
                                Also I pulled out the Mending Pile,
                                And put Patches on some Rally and Car Show Shirts.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20230216_091439~2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.67 MB ID:	1333042 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20230216_091411~2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.52 MB ID:	1333043

This is a New Shirt, made for the World of Wheels Car Show coming this weekend. (And that's the tie for it too will explain that in a later post of the Car Show)
                                This will be the First Time for my Grandson to go.
                                So there will be 3 Generations of Rusty Iron Junkies taking in the show.
                                1998 thru 2000, when my sons were young, we were invited to display our Antique & Customized Pedal Cars at this show.

So, it will be a Homecoming Show also. Sadly, many exhibitors of that time have Passed Away !!

And my back is Recovering Very Well with the help of The Witch Doctor prescriptions given......

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20230221_071416~3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	529.9 KB ID:	1333044

Last edited by Captain; February 21, 2023, 07:33 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X